• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Crager s/s wheels hold up?

daytona kid

Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some Cragers for my Charger. It will have a 525hp motor and other hi performance stuff for the strip. Will the Crager S/S wheels be strong enough? Will their weight slow me down much? Any advice on this wheel choice will be appreciated.

I wouldn't think so. Look at Dick Landy, he had cragars. And 525 really isn't that much these days....

I only raced cragar ss wheels in the 70's and 80's. Fastest was a 10.38 with them for years in a 65 chevelle ss.
Previous to the chevelle was a duster going 11.95 and a 440-6 70 cuda going 12.10 all using cragars ss with no issues. You will have no problem but they are heavier than the wheels out there now.

Attachments

• scan0002-1.jpg
    scan0002-1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 385
I wouldn't think so. Look at Dick Landy, he had cragars. And 525 really isn't that much these days....

Baloney, they used them on fuel funny cars in the 70's.
Doug

as long as they are not any uni-lug, probably be fine, Crager S/S they have a cast center & steal outer rim, they are on the heavy side of aftermarket wheels... I do like the looks & ran them on may cars for years

scan0002-3.jpg
I only raced cragar ss wheels in the 70's and 80's. Fastest was a 10.38 with them for years in a 65 chevelle ss.
Previous to the chevelle was a duster going 11.95 and a 440-6 70 cuda going 12.10 all using cragars ss with no issues. You will have no problem but they are heavier than the wheels out there now.

you just made my day thanks.
Like the air shocks in the rear?
After realizing why I was spinning back in 74 and had terrible 60 foots and losing on the street racing, a friend who use to let me use his lift told me to put 50/50's shocks on the rear with Lakewood traction bars.
Picked up huge on the 60 foot and got my 1st 11 second pass at National Speedway. 11.98

I say if they are good enough for this car & worked then you will be fine.. Just my opinon...

Attachments

• page4-1005-thumb.jpg
    page4-1005-thumb.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 342
as long as they are not any uni-lug, probably be fine, Crager S/S they have a cast center & steal outer rim, they are on the heavy side of aftermarket wheels... I do like the looks & ran them on may cars for years

I totally agree about the unilug wheel inserts. Not sure I'd trust them to be as strong as a direct bolt wheel especially on the rear drive wheels.
Anyone have any info on their integrity?

I sold many wheels back in the day. Cragar S/S have no more rust issue than any other chrome steel wheel. The Cragar S/S is 2 piece construction. Aluminum spokes with a steel outer. I do remember the chrome peeling around the lug nut area of the spokes when driven in salt. The Keystone Classic is the same style construction. You'll Notice that Ronnie Sox used them (w/4speed) on most of his S/S cars. They are heavy. But as I always say,you got to look good.
Doug

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 322
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 328
  • images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 341
the chrome did peel pretty easy I remember. then the rust started under the peeling area.

I sold many wheels back in the day. Cragar S/S have no more rust issue than any other chrome steel wheel. The Cragar S/S is 2 piece construction. Aluminum spokes with a steel outer. I do remember the chrome peeling around the lug nut area of the spokes when driven in salt. The Keystone Classic is the same style construction. You'll Notice that Ronnie Sox used them (w/4speed) on most of his S/S cars. They are heavy. But as I always say,you got to look good.
Doug

I didn't say they rusted any faster than any another chrome wheel.

I was not allowed on the track with the ss and slicks....they said the uni lug was not safe...when I put slicks on non uni lug rims (weld wheels) I had to use lugs that were 1 inch long passed the top of the lug nut..Detroit drag way

Auto Transport Service
Back