• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

will new challenger wheels fit old challenger

fasfish

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
a good deal of boss rims off a new challenger came up for sale .. will they fit on my 1971 challenger.....5 on 4 1/2

Good question. Dont think so but maybe someone can explain why not. I would really like to put 18 in wheels on my 67 belvedere

The bolt pattern is close but not exactly the same. The new pattern is a few millimeters larger. I'm not sure if the hub size is even close. I've seen late model wheels on classics and the look isn't right. There is so much inward offset in the new wheels, the wheels look to be tucked in too far in our old cars. This raises the issue of outer tie rod clearance as well as the tight proximity to the leaf springs. Adapters can be used but common sense says that if you have to use an adapter to fit a set of wheels, can't you just buy the "right" wheel in your correct pattern? I know the answer...An OEM 2014 wheel is designed specifically for a 2014 model, it wasn't designed to fit every 5 lug Mopar.
In the late 80s, I ran 15" Z28 wheels on my 73 and later my 76 Camaro. I later switched to IROC 16x8 wheels. Back then, the bolt patterns were the same and the wheels were designed with similar offset to steel wheels. Todays wheels have a TON of backspacing which makes them lack the deep dish look that is so attractive on classics. The wheel spokes are nearly flush to the edges of the wheel, all in the name of better aerodynamics. The outer wheel bearing takes more load with the hub resting so close to the outer edge of the wheel, but the OEMs care more about mileage than 200,000 mile bearings.

Auto Transport Service
Back