• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window fuzzies/sweep removal

SDCoronet

Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Guys, I have googled and searched around and have been unable to get a clear answer this question:

How do you guys remove those old window/sweeps that are clipped to both sides of the door window openings?

and:

What source do you recommend for repos or NOS replacements.

Thanks!

They have clips attached to them.....I think about 4-5 per. You'll have to bend the clips to get them out. But be careful not to bend the actual felt itself. Replacements are expensive. Once you get them out, you can bend the clips back before re-installing them.

How do you do it? The tabs seem visually and manually inaccessible.

How do you do it? The tabs seem visually and manually inaccessible.

You'll need to bend the clips by peeling the felt away from the door frame 1/8-1/4 inch. The hard part is peeling the entire felt back at the same time without bending the felt itself. It's tricky to do without having done one....harder to explain it.

Take a putty knife. Start from the door jamb area. From inside the door slide the blade behind the inside tab(not the fuzzy side). And pry a bit to the outer door skin, while pulling up slightly on the fuzzy portion.

The clips are spring steel and it will be difficult to bend them back so that they will be tight to the body panel and the felt. If the car is already painted and your wanting to replace the felts, a second set of hands would be a huge help. Depending upon the year model and body style will determine the attaching clips. You will basically have a staple style that is used on the inner felts. The second style is a single push pin as found on the 66 and 67 cars and the hood to cowl seals on the 66 to 70 B-Bodies. The third style is a clip with two fingers. I personally use a small bladed screw driver that will fit under one finger of the clip or push pin. I find it easier to do one finger at a time if your trying to save the felt. The clips will have two fingers which have to be opened up. I will also pry the felt loose the entire length and once loose, rock it out of the panel. To replace, simply align the clips to the notches in the panel. Then press them evenly into place.
If you should purchase the "Top Cat" felts, you will find that the felts are almost identical to the factory originals. All clips duplicate the factory hardware. The flocking and felts also duplicate the factory originals depending upon the model year and body style. Many vendors carry the brand. I have been involved with the development and refinement of the felts for the past 28 years, so if your favorite vendor does not stock them, send me a message and we can take care of your needs.

I will also recommend a piece of 3/4" paint / mask tape along the top edge of your door before you start if your working around nice paint.

Guys, I have googled and searched around and have been unable to get a clear answer this question:

How do you guys remove those old window/sweeps that are clipped to both sides of the door window openings?

and:

What source do you recommend for repos or NOS replacements.

Thanks!
I got mine from Classic Industries and they were perfect. The link is to the page for my car but you will get the idea. You can see the clips and maybe that will help you some. I remember have problem fitting one because my window was tight to the inside edge of the door. There are bolt around the door for adjusting the window position, but I'm not sure offhand which. If you have your service manual it should be in there!
BTW:Seems obvious, but "felts" go on the inside of the window and the "rubbers" on the outside!

http://www.classicindustries.com/shop/mopar/b-body-belvedere/parts/?q=Window felt

Auto Transport Service
Back