• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Sweep help needed from convertible owners - 1970

Chris Many

Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
So I am really stumped on what to do here. Pictures from an original B-body convertible would really help.

My 1970 FM3 Satellite convertible came to me with no window sweeps. So I am stuck with locating correct aftermarket sweeps and I am not convinced that the correct parts actually exist. I tried REPOP and PUI

1) REPOP & PUI outside door sweeps. I think that they are both too long. they go the entire length of the door. I have the remnants of one from a coupe and it is about 1-1/2" shorter. I'm pretty sure that is because they use a weather seal plug at the end. I am not sure if convertibles use them. If they do then the repo sweeps are certainly the wrong length.
2) REPOP sweeps come with a thick fuzzy sweep on the inside. PUI come with a rubber seal just like the outside sweeps. I am thinking the REPOPs might be correct, but my new ones just pealed right apart when I tried to installed them. Friggin expensive junk!
3) REPOP inside sweeps have a much wider stainless steel flat strip bead on the side then the PUIs. I know coupes used the beaded variety like the outside. convertibles need the flat strip to cover the gap on top of the rear quarter window panels. so they carried it to the front.
4) No matter what I tried my windows are pinched very hard at the vertical stainless glass molding, so it is very hard to roll the windows up and down.

So I could really use some pictures and advice from someone with a convertible...

sweep3.jpg

sweep1.jpg

sweep2.jpg

It makes no sense to have rubber on the inside. On my 70RR hard top the inside is fussy. The outside on mine stops short of the end of the door and got the weather strip plug that you mentioned.

D9FDC6D3-5D60-4818-8BA7-23E14F111CCE.jpeg

A6308281-2EBD-4D3E-A7FD-86CB1368DAEC.jpeg

thanks for posting the pictures. Convertibles have different style sweeps on the inside, so I am hoping a convertible owner will post some pictures of what the insides are supposed to look like.

Bump - nobody has a convertible b-body out of the 220 people who read this post?
I gave up looking for a tape measure with inches on it, so using the diagram that you sent me a few weeks ago, I performed some calculations to get the dimensions into Metric.
After checking my 35-year-old Year One reproductions parts, against your diagram, I came to two conclusions .....

1. Convertibles and Hardtop and Coupes all have different spacings for the clips to secure the weatherstrips,

or

2. Year One were punching out absolute crap, and that probably explains why I still have these on my shelf after some 35 years from purchasing them.

Sorry, I cannot be of help there.
However, if you are at all handy, and want to have a go at making your own (like I am doing for my A100), you could try these guys, and buy the fuzzy weatherstripping in 4-foot lengths, and the corresponding clips. Then, you can guarantee the spacing will be exactly where it needs to be at.

Glass Run Channel & Beltline Weatherstrip Clip

Beltline Weatherstrip - Also Called Window Sweeps, Felts or Fuzzies - Flexible - Inner or Outer - 7/16...

I am waiting on my second package from them right now.....already got the 4' strips and some clips to try out.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

I don't know how well this applies to 70s, but I took a look at my unrestored 67 Belvedere convertible. The inner weatherstripping is fuzzy. The outer has a rubber seal with a thin fuzzy nap. The seal looks like a V between the door and window. I tried to get some pics.

20221214_175315.jpg

20221214_175341.jpg
Pretty sure the door seals are the same between conv and hdtp since they use the same doors. I have a set of Repops on the shelf that I bought several years ago for my hardtop. I checked them against the convertible and they match.
20221214_175447.jpg

I have repops installed on my car, and I have the oe ones on the shelf. Mine is 69, but it is not pink, so it could be different. In the off chance they are not, what do you need specifically from a male car?

I gave up looking for a tape measure with inches on it, so using the diagram that you sent me a few weeks ago, I performed some calculations to get the dimensions into Metric.
After checking my 35-year-old Year One reproductions parts, against your diagram, I came to two conclusions .....

1. Convertibles and Hardtop and Coupes all have different spacings for the clips to secure the weatherstrips,

or

2. Year One were punching out absolute crap, and that probably explains why I still have these on my shelf after some 35 years from purchasing them.

Sorry, I cannot be of help there.
However, if you are at all handy, and want to have a go at making your own (like I am doing for my A100), you could try these guys, and buy the fuzzy weatherstripping in 4-foot lengths, and the corresponding clips. Then, you can guarantee the spacing will be exactly where it needs to be at.

Glass Run Channel & Beltline Weatherstrip Clip

Beltline Weatherstrip - Also Called Window Sweeps, Felts or Fuzzies - Flexible - Inner or Outer - 7/16...

I am waiting on my second package from them right now.....already got the 4' strips and some clips to try out.
Good luck. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the links. I will give them a try. I don't think installing the clips will be much of a challenge.

I don't know how well this applies to 70s, but I took a look at my unrestored 67 Belvedere convertible. The inner weatherstripping is fuzzy. The outer has a rubber seal with a thin fuzzy nap. The seal looks like a V between the door and window. I tried to get some pics.

View attachment 1387485
View attachment 1387486660k
Pretty sure the door seals are the same between conv and hdtp since they use the same doors. I have a set of Repops on the shelf that I bought several years ago for my hardtop. I checked them against the convertible and they match.
View attachment 1387487
thanks for the pictures. They look like what I expect a 70 to be.

I have repops installed on my car, and I have the oe ones on the shelf. Mine is 69, but it is not pink, so it could be different. In the off chance they are not, what do you need specifically from a male car?
Oh, It's definitely a "she". an expensive "she" at that.

I was hoping to find the answers to the questions in red on this picture here and for the name a company that makes the correct window sweeps for it.

sweeps4.jpg

Am I correct that this is called the "Belt Strip Kit"? Used to, the only correct were "CatWhiskers" made by Restoration Specialties and now made by Quirey. Convertibles have a unique feature on the inside strip that includes a wide stainless strip with a round notch around the door lock button and it continues onto the plastic rear convertible side panels. I will look on my car to see if the outside seal extends all the way or has the filler piece. There is a place in Florida that should have them in stock if you need them. If the inside piece is narrow you will have to order anyway.

Last edited:
Bump - nobody has a convertible b-body out of the 220 people who read this post?
Hi Chris

Rick Monture from Ontario here. The former Satellite owner. Still looking for pics of the convertible sweeps? I can take some tomorrow of my 68 Coronet and send them along. Do you need both door and quarter glass photos?

Am I correct that this is called the "Belt Strip Kit"? Used to, the only correct were "CatWhiskers" made by Restoration Specialties and now made by Quirey. Convertibles have a unique feature on the inside strip that includes a wide stainless strip with a round notch around the door lock button and it continues onto the plastic rear convertible side panels. I will look on my car to see if the outside seal extends all the way or has the filler piece. There is a place in Florida that should have them in stock if you need them. If the inside piece is narrow you will have to order anyway.
They would be called "Belt Strip Kit" or "Beltline Kit". Your description sounds just like what I think they look like.

Oh, I need them for sure. Please point me to the place in Florida that I can get them from. I tried a google search on Quirey Convertibles and couldn't get a hit.

Hi Chris

Rick Monture from Ontario here. The former Satellite owner. Still looking for pics of the convertible sweeps? I can take some tomorrow of my 68 Coronet and send them along. Do you need both door and quarter glass photos?
Hi Rick, Pictures of an original car would be very helpful. Both door and quarter glass please.

IMG_0456.JPG

I know my outer wipe is bent, it has to be replaced.

I home this helps - 1970 road runner convertible - I have never replaced these "sweeps" so this is how I bought it 40+ years ago

ConPassWindow1.jpg

ConPassWindow2.jpg

I home this helps - 1970 road runner convertible - I have never replaced these "sweeps" so this is how I bought it 40+ years ago

View attachment 1388627

View attachment 1388628
Perfect. this is exactly what I needed to see. So it looks like the REPOP kits correctly match your car. Too bad the new ones I bought peeled a part on me. Another interesting thing I learned from your pictures and chtampa is that convertibles do not use these weatherstrip end caps, but hardtops do.

thanks everyone for your help

weatherstrip end plugs.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back