• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield and Rear Glass Clip Locations?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
Rumor has it that there maybe a diagram showing some measurements of the window trim clip locations on both windshield and rear glass?

During roof skin replacement AND sail quarter fab I have lost much of the clip locations to mig welds.

Wondering how to get the locations back AND the best way to drill mig welded material with that hole size.

I am in a pickle…

you have your original moldings? should be marks where the clips were....... but it doesn't matter a bunch, evenly spaced, not too close to the ends

you have your original moldings? should be marks where the clips were....... but it doesn't matter a bunch, evenly spaced, not too close to the ends
Yes I do and that makes a lot of sense. Then the real dilemma is going to be the drilling over mig welds if I have too. Any suggestions on dealing with that? Ie special bits etc?

Yes I do and that makes a lot of sense. Then the real dilemma is going to be the drilling over mig welds if I have too. Any suggestions on dealing with that? Ie special bits etc?

center punch is a good idea...... drilling weld shouldn't be a problem, but you can move the hole over a little if you need to

center punch is a good idea...... drilling weld shouldn't be a problem, but you can move the hole over a little if you need to
Thats a good idea Ollie! The surface IS painted! I’ll use my Cobalt bits for this and be super careful not to miss and run the drill across the new roof lol. In fact Ill tape it off.

put a little sealer on the screws to keep the water out...... some of the (new) screws already have something on them

You may be able to drill the mig weld but you sure as hell won't be able to put a screw in it without it snapping off! Drill new holes 1/2" to either side - nobody but you will know! The important dimension is the depth down from the body surface - that's what determines how flush the trim will fit.

So after looking at the problems of no longer having the original holes for the clips for my rear glass chrome I've determined that the location of the clips is not as critical as the actual mounting position.

Meaning that the clips mount in relation to the roof line is critical. Too high and the chrome won’t sit flush. Too low and maybe it won’t catch.

Wayne has given me great pictures ( see below). This will help. It looks like the clips sit almost all the way down. The issue is that it’s the measurement from the top of the clip to the edge of the panel that’s important. I plan to make a drill guide to set a consistent position of the drilled hole.

Anyone has any suggestions on the position of these clips? For example what distance from the roof/exterior edge to the top of the clip might be or any other locating information you may have based on your experience.

Thanks MF

This is from Waynes build. Fyi

IMG_0502.png

Last edited:
No point in measuring to the top of the clip … either you drilled the hole in the right spot or you didn’t. I just used a combination square, set to the depth of an original hole and a scribe to make a line.

I may be wrong but I “think” there are different clips for the bottom rear trim.

No point in measuring to the top of the clip … either you drilled the hole in the right spot or you didn’t. I just used a combination square, set to the depth of an original hole and a scribe to make a line.

I may be wrong but I “think” there are different clips for the bottom rear trim.
I haven’t drilled anything yet. How did you determine the depth of the hole? I have no holes to reference. Thats the crux of it.

drill one hole, make it so the clip is flush with the body........ snap the trim on it and see where it lands

if it looks good, use that measurement........ if not, plug the hole with a little strip caulk and drill another one a little higher or lower

no one will ever see your little experiment

I always do all of this before paint, so be careful...... center punch is your friend

drill one hole, make it so the clip is flush with the body........ snap the trim on it and see where it lands

if it looks good, use that measurement........ if not, plug the hole with a little strip caulk and drill another one a little higher or lower

no one will ever see your little experiment

I always do all of this before paint, so be careful...... center punch is your friend
Thats a good approach eldubb! Thanks!

Hey guys after a long break (not all good since my wife and I got a bad case of covid over the break) I am finally getting back after it while dealing with some significant fatigue which I attribute to the covid virus.

Anyway it’s been a very long time and I didn’t document as well as I should have. I am trying to identify all my new window clips. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Group A Back Window I believe.
IMG_0707.jpeg

Group B
IMG_0706.jpeg

Group C
IMG_0705.jpeg

Group D
IMG_0704.jpeg

Set the clip in the trough, see if it is correct in height, mark the hole and drill it. Maybe someone can tell you how many clips are used in each location.

Set the clip in the trough, see if it is correct in height, mark the hole and drill it. Maybe someone can tell you how many clips are used in each location.
I am wondering if the correct height of the mounting screws is a factor of both how high the window sits (dependent on the rope thickness and crush) and the chrome to body height ie how the chrome sits to the body. OR just how the chrome to body fitment?

The actual height of the window and how it sits in the channel is determined by the rope thickness AND how much crush or compression the window applies.

shimming up and down. Also my right side sits deeper in the channel. So I need to shim up. I am now 100% sure But it looks like I will need more rope on that side to build up the window as a shim would prevent the proper sealing compression of the window.

IMG_0718.jpeg

Ok it’s coming along. I am figuring it out as I move forward. The chrome needs to sit flush with both the body AND the glass. This does require the glass height to be just right AND the holes for the clips to correctly correspond to that orientation as well. It’s rather complex to get it just right.

IMG_0719.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back