• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Trim Removal Help

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need some help. My windshield trim on my 70 Road Runner is kicking my butt.

I have the trim tool and I managed to get that to separate the trim on the back window. I can't seem to get the trim loose on my windshield, however.

Please see attached pictures. Am I doing this right? Any tips, tricks or help you can provide would be appreciated. I don't want to damage my trim, but the &^%$! stuff just won't come off!!!

Here is the tool inserted as I believe it should be used.
IMG_1658.jpg

Do I lift the handle as I am doing in this picture? I try to "feel" where there is a clip and lift. Is that the right thing to do?
IMG_1659.jpg

I have resorted to trying to gently pry the trim away from the cowl to open up the clips that hold it in.
IMG_1660.jpg

I have removed piece that hold the end of the trim.
IMG_1661.jpg

Again, any help would be appreciated! I am getting frustrated and will likely break something soon!

Kind of tough to explain. Once the tool is hooked on the clip, don't lift away from the windshield, twist the tool to the side so it is pulling the clip towards the glass and away from the moulding. In the first picture twist the tool counter clockwise.

Kind of tough to explain. Once the tool is hooked on the clip, don't lift away from the windshield, twist the tool to the side so it is pulling the clip towards the glass and away from the moulding. In the first picture twist the tool counter clockwise.

I think I got it! So the point on the tool is intended to get between the cowl and the clip. When I rotate the tool, the clip bends away from the trim???

Is that it???

THANKS for the response - much appreciated!

yup you need to keep the tool as close to the glass as you can and twist it once your hooked in the clip!

Got it!

I got the first piece off!!!

The first key piece was to understand the tool - I really did not understand the way it worked. The second part was when I practiced on my rear window clips where the trim was gone - just to get an idea of how to move the tool. It turns out that it couldn't get under some of the clips because the ends of the tool were too rounded. So I sharpened them up to more of a point and tried it on the windshield. Then it worked!

I posted a couple of pictures so others can get an idea too if they have struggled with doing this...

Back Window
IMG_1669.jpg

Front Window
IMG_1670.jpg

Good deal! Glad you got it! I used a few choice words the first time I tried to figure it out.

I got the first piece off!!!

The first key piece was to understand the tool - I really did not understand the way it worked. The second part was when I practiced on my rear window clips where the trim was gone - just to get an idea of how to move the tool. It turns out that it couldn't get under some of the clips because the ends of the tool were too rounded. So I sharpened them up to more of a point and tried it on the windshield. Then it worked!

I posted a couple of pictures so others can get an idea too if they have struggled with doing this...

Back Window
View attachment 163947

Front Window
View attachment 163946
great tip from somebody doing it for the first time.had the same prob with the rounded tool when i did my last one.

Auto Transport Service
Back