• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper motor replacement 65 Satellite

65_Satellite

Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
Alright guys and gals. been a little bit since ive been with you guys here but Im back and need some help! Been trying to skate around it for a couple years now but finally got to get it taken care of. can't get an inspection sticker cause the wipers don't work. I believe it's the wiper motor. I have a good used one that works that I want to replace but can't figure out for the life of me how to get to it. Does the whole dash have to come out? im assuming being a 65 and the upper dash screws exposed that I don't have to pull the windshield but it looks like I would need to pull my seats and the console. Is there an easy trick you guys have to save me some headaches? I should note that the car is a factory AC car as well - its not hooked up - but nonetheless the huge heater and ac unit is under the dash

Alright guys and gals. been a little bit since ive been with you guys here but Im back and need some help! Been trying to skate around it for a couple years now but finally got to get it taken care of. can't get an inspection sticker cause the wipers don't work. I believe it's the wiper motor. I have a good used one that works that I want to replace but can't figure out for the life of me how to get to it. Does the whole dash have to come out? im assuming being a 65 and the upper dash screws exposed that I don't have to pull the windshield but it looks like I would need to pull my seats and the console. Is there an easy trick you guys have to save me some headaches? I should note that the car is a factory AC car as well - its not hooked up - but nonetheless the huge heater and ac unit is under the dash
I seem to recall the FSM says it will come out through the glove box. Do you have one?
Mike

have a glovebox? yes. I did pull the glovebox out and tried to go through there and through the radio hole to access it but couldn't seem to get the access I needed

While you are having fun in that area, get some new linkage bushings and shaft seals/gaskets.

First make sure that you have power going to the motor, the problem could be wiring, switch or the fuse/fuse box. I’m thinking your best bet is to remove the heater, A/C box to get to it from below. The hardest part is removing the links from the motor. The nut holding the links on the motor is hard to get to, very little room between it and the motor. Then the links are kind of a press fit on the motor arm, you’ll probably have to wedge something in between the link pin and the motor. Just 4 nuts holding the motor bracket to the firewall. Not fun, but doable. Good luck.
IMG_3814.jpeg
IMG_3808.jpeg

First make sure that you have power going to the motor, the problem could be wiring, switch or the fuse/fuse box. I’m thinking your best bet is to remove the heater, A/C box to get to it from below. The hardest part is removing the links from the motor. The nut holding the links on the motor is hard to get to, very little room between it and the motor. Then the links are kind of a press fit on the motor arm, you’ll probably have to wedge something in between the link pin and the motor. Just 4 nuts holding the motor bracket to the firewall. Not fun, but doable. Good luck.
View attachment 1615482View attachment 1615483
Thanks for the pics. Sure does look a lot easier with the dash out! As far as power, I believe we are good there because when I hit the switch, the wiper arms move ever so slightly. That’s why I was thinking the motor was bad

It may be the pivots are froze from lack of lube. I have added zerks to both of my 65s after freeing them up. A good time to add the new seal kits, as was stated earlier.
Mike

It may be the pivots are froze from lack of lube. I have added zerks to both of my 65s after freeing them up. A good time to add the new seal kits, as was stated earlier.
Mike
So i got it. Ended up actually removing the glovebox and the radio and managed to get in there to get it out. The motor was bad but also the driver side pivot shaft that goes through the cowl was frozen and didn’t move. Ended up taking the motor and both wiper arm assembly’s out. Freed up the driver side pivot and lubed the linkage. Didn’t have a seal and bushing kit but everything seemed nice and free. Put it all back together and it works perfect now. I plan on completely going through the car in the next year or so and at that time when the dash is out, I’ll get the seal/bushing kit and do it right. For now, just want to enjoy the car

IMG_5682.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back