• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring harness replacement

1967 satellite

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
I'am in the process of replacing my wiring harness.(first time ever doing).2 I pulled the 3 plugs from the firewall and noticed the middle plug had 2 wires coming from inside the car, hard wired to the existing wiring harness. One is a thick black one and the other a yellow wire. (See pics) It looks at some time the plug connection failed and someone spliced directly to the harness. Also the connector on the firewall doesn't look too good. Any suggestions on what I need to do. Also who has the best and easiest harness to install. The car is a 1967 Plymouth Satellite 383-4V, automatic with electronic ignition. Electrical is not my thing so any help is greatly appreciated.

20240306_113220.jpg

20240306_113226.jpg

20240306_120523.jpg

20240306_120540.jpg

20240306_113220.jpg

20240306_120633.jpg

I'am in the process of replacing my wiring harness.(first time ever doing). I pulled the 3 plugs from the firewall and noticed the middle plug had 2 wires coming from inside the car, hard wired to the existing wiring harness. One is a thick black one and the other a yellow wire. (See pics) It looks at some time the plug connection failed and someone spliced directly to the harness. Also the connector on the firewall doesn't look too good. Any suggestions on what I need to do. Also who has the best and easiest harness to install. The car is a 1967 Plymouth Satellite 383-4V, automatic with electronic ignition. Electrical is not my thing so any help is greatly appreciated.

20240306_120633.jpg

20240306_120540.jpg

20240306_120523.jpg

20240306_113226.jpg

20240306_113220.jpg

That’s the bypass the firewall plug trick, my 67 Plymouth had it also. I got a new wiring harness from classic.

Did it many times back in the day. Usually the power feed from the starter relay and the alternator output. Easy fix for burnt connectors in bulkhead connector.

Bulkhead charge circuit by-pass, one older approach is running a drill trough the melted cavities and running a direct splice through.

I would replace your harnesses , not worth catching on fire. JMO

Evans wiring is great. Just talked to him the other day with a problem on my Hemi positive battery cable reverse switch harness. He helped me and I had never dealt with him before. Asked if he had a taillight harness for my ROAD RUNNER, yes, sent it right out. I had been waiting 4 + months from M&H, so it got canceled. I recommend replacing your dash harness. Most expensive one in the car. Easy to install, plug and play, but worth it.

I used M&H from Classic to re-wire my 66 Satellite. You probably need to do the forward and instrument panel harnesses which will replace the bulkhead box and plugs. A couple of things. First, every accessory (console, heater, clock, AC, radio) has a sub harness that probably plugs into the back of the fuse box. You don’t get those sub harnesses with the main cabin harness so you need to save your old ones, restore them as necessary and use with your new harness. Take pictures and make notes of how everything is plugged into the back of the fuse box. Second, check the position of every wire in every new plug against the wire positions in the old plugs. They do make mistakes occasionally. Third, you need a copy of the FSM for the wiring schematics. Good luck.

There are a lot of posts on this that have great information. Might want to search in the Electrical forum. Engine harness should also be available from Evans Wiring. I got my 65 harness there and it has all the correct connections. I think there is one choice for the dash harness mentioned above - M&H.

From what I can see in the pictures the wires actually look pretty good along with the male engine side connectors.

I'd consider getting a bulkhead connector (Dante's sells them) along with a handful of new female sockets for the bulkhead.
Clean the good female ends and re-use what you can.
Consider a solid connection or perhaps barrel connectors on the wires that were bypassed earlier.
I don't think the engine harnesses are overpriced personally if you choose that route.
They can get pretty crispy up by the temperature sensor.

Is this a duplicate thread? Thought I had already replied to it. A number of companies supply M&H harnesses, whatever Year One does. I’ve bought them from Classic and Mega Parts.

Classic has the harnesses already modified but I understand that Evans will make it any way you like as well.
Note this has plugs for a Dual Ballast Resistor setup.

1709837810112.png

Evans is the best source for any Mopar harness. No need to shop buy there with confidence.

Auto Transport Service
Back