• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring help for my 1970 Sport Sat

Ok broke down and purchassed an RTE solid state VL since I cant really confirm my old one works ok. Will report back when I get it and have it installed.

Has anyone looked into the cheap 12V to 5v DC to DC converters on Amazon? You can get them for about $7 with free shipping and they are a complete package (small too). They'll accept a wide input voltage ranges (to account for battery only 12V and full alternator ~15V) and are capable of output of up to 3A, if needed, at 5v. So they should handle the heat from our gauges' current draw easily. I would bet they contain the same parts as the DIY stuff for only a couple of dollars more. I was thinking about going this route. Any reason not?

Has anyone looked into the cheap 12V to 5v DC to DC converters on Amazon? You can get them for about $7 with free shipping and they are a complete package (small too). They'll accept a wide input voltage ranges (to account for battery only 12V and full alternator ~15V) and are capable of output of up to 3A, if needed, at 5v. So they should handle the heat from our gauges' current draw easily. I would bet they contain the same parts as the DIY stuff for only a couple of dollars more. I was thinking about going this route. Any reason not?
I did but the output voltage from the voltage leveler is not a constant 5V. I don't know why and what difference that would make to the load but **** it I have way to much to do and invested and the RTR is solid state plug and play. Try it and let us know how it turns out.

Understand. Both would be solid state, but there is something to be said about plug and play. I have nice bench top test equipment, so it might be fun to play with some cheap Amazon ones to see if one is decent. I’ll share the info with the team if I go through with that.

You get a lot for your money with the rt-eng.com device. It has short circuit protection and a all good led indicator.
I've done the LM7805 home brew in the past. It works well, but no protection or functional status.

The ones I’m looking at on Amazon have all kinds of circuit protection. As far as an indicator, I feel pretty solid about it working if the gauges are working. ;) The LED indicator isn’t super valuable to me as I hope that stays hidden unless I have issues.

I understand the rt-eng has obvious pros. I was just suggesting something at 1/7th the cost that, spec-wise, could do the job.

Auto Transport Service
Back