• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering What My 383 Is Worth...Thinking Of Converting Over to A Gen II Hemi

soundhd

Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
Have a 70 Roadrunner I purchased 2 years ago. Been toying with the idea of converting over to a Gen II Crate Hemi. Money is tight and wondering what my 383 would be worth if I tried to sell it after I purchased and installed the Hemi, the 383 runs great. Would include the exhaust manifolds, intake, carb, dist., coil, spark plug wiring, alternator, maybe even the A/C compressor, etc.....Runs great. Was rebuilt in 2002 and has I would say less then 3000 - 4000 miles on it since the rebuild, I have 3 other "classic's" so I pretty much try and take them all out at least once a week during the summer so I have not really put to many miles on it. The person I bought the RR from had 4 other cars and rarely drove the RR.
Not the original motor. Somewhere in it's history the motor got changed.
Reason for the upgrade.....have always wanted to own a Hemi Mopar...if I don't at least try now it will never happen...can't afford an original Hemi car.
Photos below.

Thanks

Below is the data on the 383.

ENGINE: 383 – 335 HP
SN#; OC257392
Right lower: #2468139-10
Left Lower: 8-18-69 2468130-10
(Engine is blue because all A/C Car Engines were blue..so I was told)

Parts Used In Rebuild (2002):
Cam Kit From Summit Racing; 7/21/03: Part# SUM-K6400; Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet,
Advertised Duration 272/282, Lift .442/.465, Chrysler, Big Block, Kit
Lifters: Summit # SUM-HT2011; Lifter, Hydraulic Flat Tappet;
Distributor: Summit #DCC-3690431; Distributor, Electronic, Magnetic Pickup, Adjustable Vacuum
Advance,
Carburetor: Summit # CRT-9636; Carb AFB Performance Mopar
CARBURATOR: ( Approx 565 CFM Needed for a 383 CID Stock Engine): (Correct Carb is a Carter #4732; 630 CFM)) On Engine: Carter Competition Series # 9636 SA 2411 ( Approx 565 CFM Needed for a 383 CID Stock Engine) 9636 625cfm: Metering Rods 70x47, Primary main jets .098, Secondary main jets .095, Orange power piston step up spring

Last edited:
Taking a stab based on what you have but give or take $1000. I sold mine for $800 CAD (so $550ish USD) when I put in my crate GLWS

So if the 383 is so good why are you going about a hemi update? Especially if funds are tight.

Is that the original engine for that car? If you sell it you are making a big mistake. If the budget is tight, 15k for a Hemi upgrade seems difficult to understand.

Is that the original engine for that car? If you sell it you are making a big mistake. If the budget is tight, 15k for a Hemi upgrade seems difficult to understand.
Not the first time for this post. For someone on a tight budget this doesn't sound like a real bright move. The car has had less than 4000 miles in 13 years what is the justification for a swap other than wanting a Hemi.
Better be figuring out what it will really cost to put the Hemi in and not just the price of the engine.

If that's the original motor I would not sell it. As for an upgrade a 440 would be cheaper than the Hemi, or just upgrade the 383

Sorry about that, I didn't see the last line of the post. Anyway, twelve years ago I converted my 67' GTX,and just going bone stock I had 15k in the switch. I was not happy with the results, resold the Hemi and all Parts, and luckily got my 15k back. I then put the numbers matching 440 back in. I love it just the way it is,, and all that labor as usual, was just that. But I escaped,,just my experience.If It weren't in the middle of Winter, I would be more Interested in your engine. PM me anyway, if you decide to sell it.

The way you get the "best price" for the motor is if you come across a guy who really "needs" a motor for his mopar and doesnt really care if it is 383 or 440...just wants a good running big block to put in his car.
For that guy to build a motor, even low budget build would cost a whole lot more than you could get out of yours.'
I can't really say what it is worth...but your best price will be for the fella who just needs a big block to put in his car.
And...you can put the motor on a pallet and build a crate around it and ship it by truck to about anywhere in the country for $500 tp $600. Shipping within a 1000 miles shouldnt cost over $350. Call you local truck lines and ask them how much a 700lb shipment in a crate, on a pallet, Class is "used automobile motor". You can put it in your pickup using an engine hoist and then screw the lid on the crate. They will use a forklift to get it out of your truck.The Crate Motor engine builders do it everyday.

Auto Transport Service
Back