• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood fireplace insert shopping - advice? Experience?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
So, I have a "live" wood fireplace in my living room, marble hearth, stone chimney with terra cotta liner and fire bricks in the burn box, but it's only had a gas log in it to date (house built in 1987). I recently had a chimney inspector check it out so I could start burning wood (4 acres, plenty of deadfall - free heat!), and his answer was "well...it won't burn your house down, but you won't wake up in the morning". Apparently the chimney and the fire box were not fully finished masonry-wise, and they'd gas out anyone in the house if I had a real fire going in there.

So.

I'm looking into wood burning inserts, and my brain is starting to itch. Catalyst. Non-catalyst. Semi-catalyst. Jeez. The measurement part I can figure out; the BTU part I can figure out; I'm just trying to figure out all the other junk so I can sound like I have a clue when I talk to a local dealer (and so I know what they're talking about).

I'm figuring an insert, with a chimney liner (pipe) to the top of the chimney, will do it. I'll let them worry about the logistics, and if anything needs to be done to the masonry chimney beforehand. I can run an electrical circuit up from the basement easily enough, the panel isn't far away and that section of basement is unfinished.

Curious if anyone here uses an insert, if there are any brand preferences (I will only buy made in the USA) or brands to avoid, and if there are any "gotchas" or things to beware of... I briefly thought about a pellet insert, but that defeats the whole "free fuel" aspect of my acreage.

Appreciate any input, thanks!

I would suggest a stove out front with a catalytic converter.
Not a fan of inserts.

I second Dons post. I bought a cast iron stove with catalytic converter and sat it in on the hearth in front of my fireplace. My stove is a Consolidated Dutchwest from Vermont Casting and I added a blower for additional heat. The blower is not needed for normal use as it is with most inserts. Mine also has a cooktop on top. When we loose power for a few days, usually during ice storms, we shut off the back of the house and cook, eat , sleep up front. No power needed. Also, you can run 6 inch or 8 inch vent pipe up thru your fireplace chimney if needed. Catalytic converters help burn your smoke, which can add to the BTU capacity and help keep your neighbors from choking on your smoke. If you weren't so far north, Id sell ya one of mine.

We have a wood-burning fireplace and some guy talked us into an insert. Dont know chit about it but I could take some pictures.

Auto Transport Service
Back