• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wood stoves

We purchased a Jotul Oslo 500 42000 BTU's 16 years ago, side and front load,non catalyst. Extremely efficient leaving very little ash. Its easy to clean and regulates nicely. Needed a stainless chimney because of a cracked clay tile. The total was about 2600 installed. that was in 01. Jotul has been around over 100 years out of Norway.
That's another brand I come across a lot, thanks.

Haven't looked at those yet until now, I really like the looks of that one. It has some features that i really like plus a very high efficiency and burn time. What one of those cost?

How about the price on replacement catalysts? Says a 10 warranty on them which throse up a red flag as if buying one is a big deal. That's the only thing that concerns me, you know we like to thow the occassional piece of trash in there and it sounds as if the catalyst is a bit sensitive

Here's a couple pics of what I have in the house and really like. Very simple and after 12-13 years I've only replaced the door seals, a couple bricks (I broke) and cleaned up and lubed the blower motors. This was advertised as a very clean unit, seldomly will you see any smoke coming out of the chimney and it heats very well especially given it's size.

20170322_100021.jpg
20170322_100041.jpg

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I myself, (**** in some ways) would be leary about an open flame close to the floor with potential fumes and vapors.....Sparks that fly out occasionally while loading, especially with different types of wood and the rush of air into the stove....cleaning out the stove dumping or moving a tray full of red hot coals ect. Many insurance companies i would think would refuse to cover you. Just my 2 cents. Maybe a pellet would be safer and better choice.

Call me crazy, but I myself, (**** in some ways) would be leary about an open flame close to the floor with potential fumes and vapors.....Sparks that fly out occasionally while loading, especially with different types of wood and the rush of air into the stove....cleaning out the stove dumping or moving a tray full of red hot coals ect. Many insurance companies i would think would refuse to cover you. Just my 2 cents. Maybe a pellet would be safer and better choice.
For a shop with a concrete floor I wouldn't be concerned, keep the fuel cans outside.

For a house, your correct. Insurance companies dislike trampolines, fireplaces, and horses.

Are we referring to the house? It's got glass doors and is surounded in concrete. Our insurance company doesn't like fireplaces but doesn't mind woodburners (fully enclosed) like we have.

Last edited:
A number of things to consider.
1) Stove ratings are given for a space with 8' ceilings, so in your case, with 13' ceilings you should be looking at stoves with a +-1800 sq. ft. rating. Remember, they heat CUBIC space.
2) In a shop/garage, I would recommend elevating the stove 24" on a built-up non combustible platform, in case some combustible gas/chemical fumes get loose. They are heavier than air, so they will hug the floor. This is actually code in CA for gas water heaters. A side bonus is that you don't have to get on your hands and knees to feed it or remove ash.
3) I don't necessarily recommend relying on a fan assisted stove, especially if you utilize those ceiling fans.
4) I never sold pellet stoves because where I lived the power was too unpredictable in the winter. As you know, they require electricity to operate. And yes, I know that you can use a battery or generator back-up, and that's fine for those that like that technology. I don't dispute the heat they deliver. With your free source of wood I don't think a pellet stove is a viable option.
5) As you have seen, talking about brands of stoves is like asking about brands of oil. Everybody is going to have an opinion, but the truth is, there is no BEST stove. It's what works for YOU; burn time, log length, looks, ability to remove ash easily, chimney size (6" is far cheaper than 8"), etc.
6) That's a beautiful installation of your Lopi Fireplace Xtrordenair. I installed a lot of those and they are great heaters.
7) The reason your chimney quote was so high is because from the interior, through the block wall and up the outside to the termination, it has to be Class 'A' chimney, which will keep the exhaust warm enough to draft, and meet National Code (remember your homeowner's insurance). My only suggestion is to breach the wall as high as possible (12-18" below the ceiling) so that you can use less Class 'A' and more interior pipe.
I sold Blazeking as well. Good quality stove and long burn times. Catalytic converters aren't super sensitive to wood, other than plywood, but if you're going to burn 'trash' I wouldn't recommend stoves that use that technology. Typically, stoves with converters burn longer than those without. The replacement cost of a converter is going to vary with the brand but approximately $150-$250 when I had my store.
Good luck with your research...

Last edited:
Your comment got me curious so I called our insurance agent, our current provider has no problem with them in houses but not a garage.... we'll be switching companies before winter to one that doesn't mind it. I can kinda see their point but in my case not at all, in a garage where I'll be grinding, welding and torching it's built for that... concrete floor, metal ceiling, drywalled walls, etc so in reality it's much much safer than in a home. It will also be against a block wall with nothing but concrete all the way around it so I have no concerns at all.

Your comment got me curious so I called our insurance agent, our current provider has no problem with them in houses but not a garage.... we'll be switching companies before winter to one that doesn't mind it. I can kinda see their point but in my case not at all, in a garage where I'll be grinding, welding and torching it's built for that... concrete floor, metal ceiling, drywalled walls, etc so in reality it's much much safer than in a home. It will also be against a block wall with nothing but concrete all the way around it so I have no concerns at all.
Point taken....the reason I brought it up is because, I too had similar encounters with insurance companies. Thunder

I think you will be very hard pressed to fine any insurance company that will cover a wood burner in the garage. Around here no one will.

Shame I can't bottle my shop air and ship it to you it's hot as balls down here .

I think you will be very hard pressed to fine any insurance company that will cover a wood burner in the garage. Around here no one will.
Should have worded it differently. When I said switching to an insurance company that doesn't have a problem with it I should have clarified that I already found one. Ohio seams waaaaaaay more relaxed and less commi than most states hehe.

Shame I can't bottle my shop air and ship it to you it's hot as balls down here .
Nah, been there in that hot muggy weather... I'd die down there, at least woodburners dry out the air. I'll gladly take some of your winter weather though.

Well the one -two days of winter are already past got to wait till next year it seriously will be 90° out one day then 40° the next FL. Is confusing when it comes to weather

Auto Transport Service
Back