• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong brake parts, now losing pedal.Coincidence?

Also appears to be the wrong shoes...
Note the holes where the park brake lever goes in.
A lot of newer shoes are made that way. The slot actually has a round cut in it for the older pin style lever.

BF_445_Fro-2475677500.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe just hardware/spring kit. As pnora #21 shows the new style shoes are different than the old version. Fran Blacker #6 color picture is correct for manual adjust brakes. The adjuster spring for manual adjust brakes could be a problem but I haven't bought any in many years. It is different than the one for self adjusters.

Look up moparedtn on 6-12-22 converting back to manual adjust brakes. He has part numbers and where he got adjusters and adjuster springs.

Look up moparedtn on 6-12-22 converting back to manual adjust brakes. He has part numbers and where he got adjusters and adjuster springs.
Thanks Bob/guys, just a final thought that may be the cause of the brake pedal feeling as if the master cylinder is failing.
when I stripped the rear brake drum off ready to remove the axle, I went round to the drivers side to get some tools and applied the E brake fully....with the brake drum off, just a routine reaction.
I was focused on the axle job and did it without thinking. Given that the brake pedal problem only emerged after I’d done this, is it possible that the brake fluid has been asked to travel too far and now created a brake pedal problem.

If you need to establish a hydraulic problem, clamp the 3 rubber hoses and see how stout the brake pedal is.
You'll know where to go from there.

Final pics. The other rear drum has better fitting return springs but the same bodged fittings are used on the bottom star adjuster. Thanks again for advice. I’m ordering parts but noted that this morning the brake pedal went to the floor including when the park brake is applied.

5B49B814-BD8D-43B5-9BB5-DE148353AF5C.jpeg

57322182-F1DA-4314-8F9E-22D6EF062BDB.jpeg

02B56404-E5DA-42DE-BD8B-334BAD0C04F9.jpeg

0F44E604-4C81-46F7-8EEF-B4F2574FE0D9.jpeg

Thanks Bob/guys, just a final thought that may be the cause of the brake pedal feeling as if the master cylinder is failing.
when I stripped the rear brake drum off ready to remove the axle, I went round to the drivers side to get some tools and applied the E brake fully....with the brake drum off, just a routine reaction.
I was focused on the axle job and did it without thinking. Given that the brake pedal problem only emerged after I’d done this, is it possible that the brake fluid has been asked to travel too far and now created a brake pedal problem.
Yes. You need to fully back off the emergency brake. Then adjust the shoes. Lastly final emergency brake adjustment. If you do not do this the first pump will require more fluid to compensate for the increased travel. You still could have a master bypassing.

Yes. You need to fully back off the emergency brake. Then adjust the shoes. Lastly final emergency brake adjustment. If you do not do this the first pump will require more fluid to compensate for the increased travel. You still could have a master bypassing.
Sure, that adds up. I’ll get the correct springs etc and adjust and then see how it is. If not, it’s time for the disc brake swap that Ive got sat on the shelfalong with the correct Dr Diff master.

Auto Transport Service
Back