• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong MC for disc/drum?

icetech

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
So.. kept searching for which MC to get exactly and kept being told just get a MC for a 67+ B-body.. went to rock auto and the only ones they show (for 67 coronnet) are all the same which is a RayBestos MC36221
which is this one..
1689789801458.png

Rock of course doesn't say disc or drum in the listing :( So.... is this for sure the wrong one for manual disc/drum and could someone please share the exact part # needed? thanks...

That's 4 wheel drum master (reservoir too small is an indication)
Look up a 75 Dart
1689790228744.png

Thank you.. hope rock is decent bout returns :( BTW.. that should work with my '62 pushrod? (manual brakes)
Should bolt right in.
Bench bleed it first if you already have a dual master in there I've been able to leave the lines at the master a little loose gently pump it a bit and tighten them.
Had pretty good results with that method avoiding bleeding everything.
Unless you have old fluid then blow it all out.

This one is actually the one you need. I am not sure why they don't have it listed for disc drum B bodies, I just found their listings for it for C bodies, but it is the aftermarket equivalent of the 1967 B body disc drum MC.

36283.JPG

This one is actually the one you need. I am not sure why they don't have it listed for disc drum B bodies, I just found their listings for it for C bodies, but it is the aftermarket equivalent of the 1967 B body disc drum MC.

View attachment 1496724
I orcered the mc36412 listed above.. it is listed as 73-75 dart manual disc/drum... so hoping it works :)

It should, the differences are mainly in bore size. The original ones in '67 have 1-1/8" bore size. The ones from the 70s were a slightly different bore size, 1-1/32".
Pedal force might be a little different but will still stop the car fine.

IMO Absolutely nothing beats a White(or light colored) Engine Bay

So.. kept searching for which MC to get exactly and kept being told just get a MC for a 67+ B-body.. went to rock auto and the only ones they show (for 67 coronnet) are all the same which is a RayBestos MC36221
which is this one..
View attachment 1496692
Rock of course doesn't say disc or drum in the listing :( So.... is this for sure the wrong one for manual disc/drum and could someone please share the exact part # needed? thanks...
I bought the same one for my 67 R/T, power drums. I just removed the original Wagner-Lockheed unit this past weekend. I'm planning on disassembling it to inspect the internals. If it looks ok I'll reassemble and bench bleed it. Otherwise, if the parts interchange I am thinking of using the "guts" from the Raybestos unit in the original unit. I'm second owner since 1984 and trying to ready the car to drive after too many years of garage storage. I've rebuilt the rest of the brake system, rebuilding everything I can to keep as many original parts as possible.IMG_20230719_202415210_HDR.jpg

That one would be aftermarket. Chrysler master cylinders of the 60s and 70s were all sourced from Bendix.

Which one should I order for a '69 Charger with FMJ front discs and 11 inch rear drums? Non Power.

What distribution block should be used?

What difference does the bore size make?

Which one should I order for a '69 Charger with FMJ front discs and 11 inch rear drums? Non Power.

Confusing isn't it? :) Someone will chime in... it will probably be the one i ordered.. not sure on dist block though, i got mine from inline tube made for 62-65.. i think you lines run differently

All disc brake B bodies from that era were power brakes. In '70 there was a B body master cylinder listed for manual disc brakes for a taxi cab configuration.
It was a standard disc brake master cylinder with outlets on the left side (toward the fender) but with a push rod.
Though the standard B body '69 disc brake master cylinder had lines on the right side routed toward the engine for some reason, except hemis where the lines were toward the fender.
The primary piston had a provision in it for the rubber retaining ring installed in the push rod regardless of whether the cylinder was the standard or taxi cab part.
Therefore you should be able to use a Raybestos MC36283 for your manual disc brake set up. Hopefully you have your pushrod though, as that master cylinder doesn't come with one.
Over the years I used several different master cylinders on my disc brake Challengers. A 1-1/32 bore an 1-1/8" bore and then the correct 1" bore. The main thing I noticed was a little difference in pedal feel. With the 1-1/8" if I hit the brake hard the rear brakes would start to lock up.
However some Challengers originally had 1-1/8 bore master cylinders, when equipped with hemis.
Even though I used to work for a brake parts manufacture, we were aftermarket and designed parts to match fit and function of OE parts. I have always wished I could talk to an engineer involved in OE part design back in the day to get some insight as to some of the nuances like why they used certain bore sizes, as I didn't see any rhyme or reason to a lot of what I saw analyzing OE cylinders!

Thanks for the information.
Very helpful.
Judging from the pictures I've found, the ports on the Raybestos MC36283
Exit on the fender side, correct?
I'll need that because of the Hemi.
I'll just look around a little for the best price.
The question of the distribution block remains...
Maybe one from a manual disc/drum A-body?

Fender side, correct.
I don’t know much about distribution blocks, hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Man.. i just learned so much from that video.. guy has a master cyl one also.

View attachment 1496724
Just an FYI if anyone is looking to purchase this one (MC36283) from Rock Auto or anywhere else. It DOES NOT look like the one in the 7 pics they list online. What comes in the box is the goofy 4 port style I already have on my car. Sad part is that with Rock Auto there is no one to talk to on the phone to explain this. When returning you will have to eat the shipping back.

Lesson learned

masterbooster.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back