• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB WTB: OEM 1970 Holley 2300 Center Carb Bowl Vent Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixpaksteve

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
I’m looking for the longer of the 2 bowl vent rods that Holley briefly used on their 2300 series center carb. My one pic shows the shorter [more common] version of this rod above a fabricated longer version of the rod which my 440 six pack application requires. I saw several of these longer bowl vent rods at Carlisle this summer, but all were attached to a complete 440/6 setup. Thanks!

Bowl Vent Rods.JPG

tempImagez2lYp4.png

I’m looking for the longer of the 2 bowl vent rods that Holley briefly used on their 2300 series center carb. My one pic shows the shorter [more common] version of this rod above a fabricated longer version of the rod which my 440 six pack application requires. I saw several of these longer bowl vent rods at Carlisle this summer, but all were attached to a complete 440/6 setup. Thanks!

View attachment 1529068

View attachment 1529069
have you tried? Chicago Carburetor

I've bought parts from them in the past and I did contact them about 2 years ago after realizing that finding one of these rods 'loose' at Carlisle just wasn't happening. They couldn't help me 2 years ago but I just sent them an email this evening since maybe something has changed on their end. Thanks for your suggestion and the reminder to give them another shot. :)

Thanks for the additional vendor suggestion Velocity, but I'm going to see if Chicago Carb. come through. They replied back to email I sent them and said on Wednesday that they would have the longer vent rod available 10 - 21 days from now. I'm assuming that somebody is making these rods for them, and I'm OK with that as long as it looks right and has the correct dimensions. I'll continue posting here as things develop in case somebody else is looking for this same part for their 6 pack setup.

I contacted Allstate this morning via their website contact page and inquired about them carrying the longer version of the OEM Holley vent rod. I couldn't attach any photos on their contact page but I offered to send them some via email if they request it. Hard to tell for sure from Dave69's pic but that looks like the more common shorter version of the vent rod to me. We'll see what Allstate says.

Much thanks to all for trying to help me out. :thumbsup:

The folks at Allstate emailed me back and said that the $14.00 rod in the listing that Dave posted here is correct for my application [non emissions center carb]. So I placed an order with them this afternoon and we'll see if it works when it gets here. :)

The problem with those rods is they have not been used on carbs since early 1970 and I’m not sure when Holley stopped selling replacements. I bought all of Bill Overcash’s carbs and extra parts and was hoping he had some extra parts..lol. He didn’t have enough parts to finish the carbs he still had. Allstate is probably the best place to get that part. I had some made by another guy and they are very close but still need to be tweaked some. I can tell you this, they were never the bright zinc on the original carbs. They were a dull black. I’ve tried to get it duplicated and it’s closer to original but it’s still not 100% correct. Bill told me a lot but not everything about his business. I’m trying to sort out some things on my plating and I’m not taking on any more work till I get them resolved. I’ve bought parts from Allstate and they do have decent prices.

IMG_8309.jpeg

The problem with those rods is they have not been used on carbs since early 1970 and I’m not sure when Holley stopped selling replacements. I bought all of Bill Overcash’s carbs and extra parts and was hoping he had some extra parts..lol. He didn’t have enough parts to finish the carbs he still had. Allstate is probably the best place to get that part. I had some made by another guy and they are very close but still need to be tweaked some. I can tell you this, they were never the bright zinc on the original carbs. They were a dull black. I’ve tried to get it duplicated and it’s closer to original but it’s still not 100% correct. Bill told me a lot but not everything about his business. I’m trying to sort out some things on my plating and I’m not taking on any more work till I get them resolved. I’ve bought parts from Allstate and they do have decent prices.

View attachment 1534216
The carb in the foreground is my NOS 70 that has never seen the light of day. Notice how dark the bowl vent arm is. The set on top was the last set of restored carbs I sent out. That is black since plating and cost quite a bit considering how small of a batch I have done at one time. I hope to do my own dome day and fix the problem. The parts I bought from Allstate had to be tweaked some so I’d like to know how it fits when you get it.

Hi FastMark, and thanks for chiming in to the thread. VERY interesting info. and photo that you shared....thanks! I assumed that the OEM vent rods were never as bright as today's replacements, but I would not have guessed they were dull black in color. I'll report back on how the Allstate rod looks/fits after it arrives in a day or so.

I’ve got a lot of original carbs with the darker plating on the bowl vent rod. It’s not very dark and probably gets rubbed off or with the exposure to the elements, it turn pretty quickly. Here is another 69.5 carb that is in very good condition but not NOS. It was sold over the counter after the run of cars was over. It was made on the 198 day of 69.

IMG_6756.jpeg

IMG_6755.jpeg

IMG_6754.jpeg

It's a chilly/rainy day here today in Maryland so I was able to spend some time in the garage. The part from Allstate I believe is going to work but I'll need to put some run time on it to be sure. The length of the lower horizontal part of the rod that contacts the carb arm is about 1 inch while the length of that same area on the other style vent rod is about 7/16". So length-wise I'm happy. Thanks again to everyone who pointed me to Allstate.

My only concern is regarding the 2 'ears' that are on either side of the hold down bracket. They look like they aren't quite as tall or as clearly 'notched' as my old vent rod that was brazed with coat hanger to make it long enough to work. I have what I think is the original screw holding the vent rod bracket in place, and there's a lock washer under the screw. Fastmark, I can't quite tell from your pics but is there a lock washer under that screw? Thanks....

tempImageF9CFuP.png

tempImageSYpwkf.png

Yes, original there is a captured washer on that little screw. It has many critical spots on this piece for everything to line up and cover the hole in the bowl correctly. They you will probably have to bend it some to get the correct gap. Be careful. It’s easy to mess up the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back