• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

The 1/2" x 70" strip filled the gap nicely. after trimming it worked out well. On to the hood scoop! lol.

IMG_0002.JPG

nice progress Ghost :thumbsup:

I assume the 70" x 1/2" x 1/8" flat stock
was for filler ?
so the bumper looks/fits tighter ?

oh wait now I see it, doh

Back years ago we used 69 grand prix door pulls. Cut a few inches around the handle and welded in the whole thing. I loved those handles. Tesla uses something like you have. Well done!!

scoop looks pretty damn good Ghost

pretty damn good for not having a break especially
(I assume)

I remember the days of bending stuff with
a couple of 2x4's clamped to sheets
or c-clamps & 2x2's or what ever piece of straight steel
or angle Iron, I had
or clamped to the bench or fab table
& bending it over the edge of the bench/table
it wasn't the best, but it worked, just a little hammer/dolly work after

your car will have, it's own distinct style, that's for damn sure :thumbsup:

Why start over, which part don't you like

Looks pretty cool to me, anyways. Maybe someone else on here could use it?

What I'm unhappy with is the height of the rear end portion. Needs to be shorter. This was a learning experience. I'm also going to make a template of where the bends need to go for the diagonal impressions on the top surface and bend those with the 8' brake at the steel shop. I will also bend the sides on that brake which will result in clean bends and no hammer marks. The front lip needs to start the folding under further back from the edge so the center point gets bent as well. The rear needs to be lower and more rounded. So, next iteration should be expectable I hope. It's just a $20 hunk of steel, no biggy. I can keep making them till I get one I like.

Well, after applying a critical eye to it, and, after putting front fenders back on, it began to look a little more "right", more symmetrical. So I took it to school with a hammer and various straight edges to tappity tap the thing to make it as well formed as I can with primitive hand tools. Came out better than expected. I will be using it. I also laid out some tape to simulate the stripes....need to consider those some more...opinions please?

0728201133a.jpg
0728201133b.jpg
0728201133c.jpg
0728201133d.jpg
0728201153b.jpg
0728201153c.jpg
0728201153d.jpg
0728201153e.jpg
0728201134.jpg
0728201153a.jpg

The back on mine is about 3/4 of an inch, but where is it written that it has to be. Will it be bolted or welded in place. If it sit good on the hood, I'd keep it. You did a good job. Your car follows no set rules and that is a good thing. The scoop looks very close to mine and is a sweet finishing touch. Fill in any imperfections and go with it. You have some mad skills and this is just another example of that. Well done!! The strips will really pull it together.

The back on mine is about 3/4 of an inch, but where is it written that it has to be. Will it be bolted or welded in place. If it sit good on the hood, I'd keep it. You did a good job. Your car follows no set rules and that is a good thing. The scoop looks very close to mine and is a sweet finishing touch. Fill in any imperfections and go with it. You have some mad skills and this is just another example of that. Well done!! The strips will really pull it together.
This one is 27" across the front, 24 1/2 the back, 3" tall front center and 1 1/8" tall across the back. So, it's a good deal smaller than the factory Hemi hood scoop. Why does it look so frigging big to me then? Just don't know. Cant decide why I don't like it. Show me yours...lol. I'll compare. Bolt down. I feel like it needs something. Maybe the angled impression on the top of a scoop indented in. Like the Hemi one? Too tall all around maybe?

Auto Transport Service
Back