• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

I've seen them come apart at high RPM - hell, I HAD one do it to me once.
The carnage was shocking - including shrapnel through the hood!
never have seen that, or heard of it. Have had several of these and no issues.

Okay sports fans....what goes in this small hole on the front of the WP? About 1/8 NPT..... The Temp sender goes on top next to the outlet. A plug? lol...

Inked20210630_102445_LI.jpg

Okay sports fans....what goes in this small hole on the front of the WP? About 1/8 NPT..... The Temp sender goes on top next to the outlet. A plug? lol...

View attachment 1137866
My stock temp sender goes in the hole pointed to by the arrow. I have a second temperature sender for my FAST system that I connected to the top hole - it used to be a plug on my car that I removed.

Bottom line, use one and plug the other hole!

Stuck those Champion plugs in. Dismounted the tires from the rims so I can ship the rims to OZ.

never have seen that, or heard of it. Have had several of these and no issues.
There have been several postings on the subject on this very forum, amongst the rest of the 'net.
I'm not saying your particular brand is more or less susceptible - but there's tons of stuff out there on it.
Just expressing my concern, sir.

There have been several postings on the subject on this very forum, amongst the rest of the 'net.
I'm not saying your particular brand is more or less susceptible - but there's tons of stuff out there on it.
Just expressing my concern, sir.
And I appreciate that. I will check it out. I'm not married to this fan, it was just the one that I had.

And I appreciate that. I will check it out. I'm not married to this fan, it was just the one that I had.
Thank you. I had my mind blown a long time ago when at the time, the "high-dollar" flex fan on the market
(I think it was a Flex-A-Lite) came apart under the hood of an early 70's Olds Cutlass at about 4000RPM for
no apparent reason. When it did, the aluminum fins literally "shrapneled" their way THROUGH the heavy steel
hood of that car - not to mention severing several hoses and wires underhood - in what sounded like a
grenade going off.
I kept looking at the shards of fan left over, then at the hood. My practical mind couldn't make that work...
Wow. Good thing nothing came back towards the occupants!

Thank you. I had my mind blown a long time ago when at the time, the "high-dollar" flex fan on the market
(I think it was a Flex-A-Lite) came apart under the hood of an early 70's Olds Cutlass at about 4000RPM for
no apparent reason. When it did, the aluminum fins literally "shrapneled" their way THROUGH the heavy steel
hood of that car - not to mention severing several hoses and wires underhood - in what sounded like a
grenade going off.
I kept looking at the shards of fan left over, then at the hood. My practical mind couldn't make that work...
Wow. Good thing nothing came back towards the occupants!
The Canadian Government even has a mention of those fan failures: https://tc.canada.ca/en/faulty-flex-fan-blades-older-cars-trucks

Sooo...what fan do you all recommend? A seven blade with a clutch?
if you plan on running a mechanical fan yes a clutch fan
they're fugly, but don't rob as much power
& don't "usually" fly apart at RPM

you will need a good shroud too, mandatory
no matter the fan used

if you plan on running a mechanical fan yes a clutch fan
they're fugly, but don't rob as much power
& don't "usually" fly apart at RPM

you will need a good shroud too, mandatory
no matter the fan used
I have a 26" rad with shroud out of that Power Ram. I'll watch that, thanks!

But how much power do electric fans eat? Either I missed that or they didn't cover it. The power needs of the fans will put a load on the alternator which will decrease horsepower too. But how much?

But how much power do electric fans eat? Either I missed that or they didn't cover it. The power needs of the fans will put a load on the alternator which will decrease horsepower too. But how much?
Yes, they'll put a load on the alternator but only when needed. Most fans are temperature controlled and only turn on when required so unlike a fan drive they don't draw any power at all when the engine is cooler.

My daily driver doesn't use electric fans...or belt drive. :)
upload_2021-7-16_17-51-35.png

7 blade fan no clutch. Had one back in the day fail and ate up one radiator. One failed and the motor ran hot. So just my two cent's on clutch for the fan. Yes they probably had out lived their day and should have been replaced. But gave me a bad taste and went direct drive. That is what I always ran from then on. Carry a extra fan belt in the trunk. LOL.

Dang, that's got me thinking about electric fans differently now for sure!

Auto Transport Service
Back