• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

No HP draw to speak of, or so they said. It does put a load on the electrical system though. IMHO that load would be negligible unless one were to use them on a car that was driven. A LOT. For a car that gets used seldom I would think that it would be fine, assuming the electrical system was up to snuff. I will be using dual electric fans.

No HP draw to speak of, or so they said. It does put a load on the electrical system though.

Put any load on the electrical system and the alternator will create power (amps) to bring the voltage up to where it should be. The more power any device draws, the more HP it will take to turn the alternator. Is the power needed to run electric fans negligible? I seriously doubt it.

The first system that came up when I looked draws 49.6 amps! (random unit I found here: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...-EOQos8wREDNCigVbOSXLO4aAoJlEALw_wcB#overview)
Many of our old cars only have 35 amp alternators and can't even support those fans! And if you upgrade your alternator, then you need to upgrade your electrical system PROPERLY to conduct that power safely.

Also, a car will come up to operating temperature within 5 minutes or so, and then the radiator and cooling system take over to scrub that heat. Likely, it will take time (minutes?, half hour? I don't know) before the radiator becomes hot enough to need the air flow through it. Bottom line is even going for ice cream around the corner will likely get the fans running on a summer day.

My points, for anyone considering doing this, are as follows:
  1. I don't know how much HP a 50 amp fan takes to run (assuming the alternator and electrical system can provide this power), so this upgrade may or may not be worth it compared to a mechanical fan. I am not knocking using electric fans AT ALL, but I believe people are fooling themselves if they think these things will run with almost no HP loss.
  2. If adding electric fans, be sure to carefully upgrade your electrical system to handle it. It is not just throwing a bigger alternator on it. All the wires and connectors in the entire system have to be able to handle the extra power.
Again, I am not knocking the use of electric fans at all, my point is simply to balance the argument and be sure people install them correctly and have realistic expectations if they do use them.

Got some bodywork in on both sectioned bumpers. The right set of side scoops and the right quarter. Bought a gallon of sandable high build grey primer. Got a quart of glaze filler. Took delivery of my new towable backhoe.

20210730_102049.jpg
20210730_102054.jpg
20210730_102104.jpg
20210730_102132.jpg
20210730_102151.jpg
20210730_121126.jpg

that does look very cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Iron Resurrection in Texas just did a 64 Ford Galaxy in a gold color and did the bumpers in body color and the trim in brushed aluminum. The bumpers looked good. I will likely do that too, just easier. Black roof.

:thankyou:

for the clarification

good choices too

Iron Resurrection in Texas just did a 64 Ford Galaxy in a gold color and did the bumpers in body color and the trim in brushed aluminum. The bumpers looked good. I will likely do that too, just easier. Black roof.
Yeah, I saw it too...

That was a great car/build

I like that year of Galaxies, I like that gold they did too
the bumpers were tucked up & fitted well
looked Good body-color
a whole lot easier & cheaper than trying to re-chrome

If I ever put my fiberglass bumpers & alum bumper brackets on my RR
I do have chrome paint & black chrome translucent paint for over that
I did it before on another 68 RR racecar/borderline streetbeast
I also did that to all the trim, scuffed & black chromed
looked good on silver

I'm not so sure about my current 68 LL1 Surf Turquoise
certainly not the other window trim etc.,
I can buff it some to make it shine more, bring it back more
I want to get the weight off, but I like the chrome bumpers too
& I like the contrast too, so I'm torn on the bumpers...
I do have black on the hood & below the body lines...

Last edited:
Got a set of chrome Allen head bolts w/ washers for the intake mounting. Sanded down and primed the front bumper ends where I deleted the turn signal holes and sectioned it for length and shape. Sanded down the engine bay, firewall and inner fenders on both inside and out. Getting ready to spray on high build primer, prior to putting color on there....again...lol. Did some finish sanding around the right side scoops and the right quarter.

Got a set of chrome Allen head bolts w/ washers for the intake mounting...

Ghost: If you haven't already, take a look at the mounting of these for accessibility. I had a situation where a customer of my Father-in-law had used Allen head bolts on a big block Chevy intake. They were a royal pain in the arse to get at, whereas good old fashioned hex head bolts would have been much easier.

Sprayed grey primer, blocked it and sprayed first coat of color. Got a few minor runs to wet sand out before the second coat goes on but all in all i'm happy with the look and the color. It lays on much nicer when the primer is all the same color too..lol.

20210811_161720.jpg
20210811_161732.jpg
20210811_161739.jpg
20210811_161751.jpg
20210811_161759.jpg
20210811_144616.jpg
20210811_144623.jpg
20210811_144629.jpg
20210811_144637.jpg
20210811_144648.jpg

Last edited:
That wiper motor divot delete turned out great! Smooth. I'm also pretty jazzed about the way the front bumper turned out...

Second coat, with the gun adjusted correctly to put out a finer spray. Came out much better.

20210812_101420.jpg
20210812_101426.jpg
20210812_101436.jpg
20210812_101452.jpg
20210812_101456.jpg
20210812_101505.jpg
20210812_101521.jpg
20210812_101532.jpg
20210812_101344.jpg
20210812_101401.jpg

I'll let it dry for a week then wet sand it and then clear coat it. Then wet sand it again and then polish. In the meantime i'll get the K Frame painted and the front end parts painted and prepped to go together.

I saw that, WOW was it nice!!

Auto Transport Service
Back