• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yellow zinc chromate on LCAs?

Ahem.... Clear zinc is silver. I had hardware zinc yellow and clear when I restored my 69 Bee. Yes, cosmoline is just a protective coating applied to surfaces, usually freshly machined, in order to prevent rusting. The only thing I have seen is a dark yellow/light brown in my machine shop years.

I've used the resto Rick "quasimoline" on my stuff.
Looks pretty authentic and is tough stuff.
I don't build judged trailer queens, but I was doing the front suspension anyhow, so I figured I'd try ricks stuff.

Last edited:
A couple pics:

IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0790.JPG

Ahem.... Clear zinc is silver. I had hardware zinc yellow and clear when I restored my 69 Bee. Yes, cosmoline is just a protective coating applied to surfaces, usually freshly machined, in order to prevent rusting. The only thing I have seen is a dark yellow/light brown in my machine shop years.
Thanks 69bee I have decided not to do the yellow zinc idea or cosmoline. I love the look of moparnation74's lcas but i dont think its practical for my driving and local roads.

I've used the resto Rick "quasimoline" on my stuff.
Looks pretty authentic and is tough stuff.
I don't build judged trailer queens, but I was doing the front suspension anyhow, so I figured I'd try ricks stuff.
Thanks for the info and the pics. I will check out resto rick.

Heck, in this day and age you could probably get it airbrushed to look exactly like Justin's LCA's but done in ss urethane.

I don’t want to start any flaming but if you want to ‘modern’- “Fluidfilm” from John Deere dealers is an excellent product. It will wash away after awhile, but it penetrates very good & soaks in to the metal.

I checked out Quasimoline from resto rick as vintage chromoly suggested. I think this might be the way to go for me. Thanks for the input guys!

I checked out Quasimoline from resto rick as vintage chromoly suggested. I think this might be the way to go for me. Thanks for the input guys!
Rick is a good gent...Known him for years and he has done some things for me....His products are top quality products.....

His Quasi...the color is off the mark a bit in my books but that aside it is a very good product....There are many "trailer queens" that use his product on the LCA's FYI......And there are a few that don't.....:D

I don’t want to start any flaming but if you want to ‘modern’- “Fluidfilm” from John Deere dealers is an excellent product. It will wash away after awhile, but it penetrates very good & soaks in to the metal.
Thats actually good stuff Jeff!

Looks good! Probably less pricey than some of the alternatives.

Looks good! Probably less pricey than some of the alternatives.
I coated my rear bumper brackets recently and it ate thru 40+ years of rust that was like armor, 2 wks later 1 tap with a chisel&hammer popped off all the layers back to good steel; amazing to me.

Rust Veto 342 from Houghton. Unavailable in Canada unless you happen to have a father in law that plays snowbird in Florida and he smuggles it across the border. Cost about $500 Cdn for the 5 gallon container. If I remember I dipped 8 times to get the colour I wanted.

rustveto342.jpg oct28d.jpg oct29.jpg oct31g.jpg

Yah.. someone used my name here with zero posts so I picked Dadsbee instead, seeing that's what I'm restoring. Had to join to send Steve an message to buy his 053 radiator the other day! lol

Yah.. someone used my name here with zero posts so I picked Dadsbee instead, seeing that's what I'm restoring. Had to join to send Steve an message to buy his 053 radiator the other day! lol
Well it is definitely good to see you here my friend...

I have an idea? How bout you bring your restoration thread over here? You will get 1k times more interest, comments, questions etc than you ever will over there in the dark ages....

btw as you know me, I completely enjoyed your build thread.....

ohh and pictures are easy peasy to add here, lol....

Justin

Yeah I go to DC quite often & cant believe the scarcity of dialog at times.

Not sure how I'd find the time to recreate the current 35 pages.. LOL.. without just linking the thread!

Auto Transport Service
Back