• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another project 62 Plymouth N/SS

The amazing part is with a slight move of the springs and a rolled fender lip, 10.5x29.5 M/T Pro Bracket radials bolt right on. The front hangers are flush to the frame. Shackles are replaced with sliders. Early on using steel wheels (10") it bent the rear wheel studs. So steel plates were machined and welded to the wheel for greater surface contact. Also added 5/8" wheel studs.
Doug

View attachment 1446511

View attachment 1446512

View attachment 1446513

View attachment 1446515

View attachment 1446516

View attachment 1446517
What is the advantage to having sliders?

A standard 9" housing and center section aren't all that great. Modified they are very good. They are also very expensive. A center section alone is at least $1500. When your done it'll be $3500+. This Dana was an 8 lug HD out of a Ford F250 P/U we got for free. I chopped off the ends and brackets. Welded on new ends and perches. Swapped in a spool and axles. Even used the original 3.54 gear. Total cost was around $700. Add another $250 for the new gear. The sliders allow more freedom of spring movement. Much easier than moving the shackle mount when moving the springs inward. Less than $100 at Speedway.
Doug

A standard 9" housing and center section aren't all that great. Modified they are very good. They are also very expensive. A center section alone is at least $1500. When your done it'll be $3500+. This Dana was an 8 lug HD out of a Ford F250 P/U we got for free. I chopped off the ends and brackets. Welded on new ends and perches. Swapped in a spool and axles. Even used the original 3.54 gear. Total cost was around $700. Add another $250 for the new gear. The sliders allow more freedom of spring movement. Much easier than moving the shackle mount when moving the springs inward. Less than $100 at Speedway.
Doug
Ahh!! i always wondered why people didn't scavenge dana's from trucks now i know :) they do!

You happen to have any 8 3/4 center sections laying around?

K.. weird.. just left this thread.. went to youtube and this popped up... Is this the same car?

Ahhh yes it is :) just found videos of it at milan also.. that smallblock sounded great :)

Yup very early on. That's me in the flannel. Ran 10.99 on that tune 1st night out using a 2.76 gear.
Doug

Yup very early on. That's me in the flannel. Ran 10.99 on that tune 1st night out using a 2.76 gear.
Doug
that's crazy with a 2.79.. you guys are doing good stuff

So back to work on the 62. Saturday sanded and painted the updated rollback to cage. Started on the window net. My son had the day off yesterday. Got the engine, trans, trans blanket, headers, starter, driveshaft in. Had to weld the motor plate tabs in with everything installed in the car. Set up the plans for plumbing and wiring. Parts are coming.
Doug

20230411_092143.jpg

20230411_092228.jpg

20230411_091952.jpg

20230411_093148.jpg

Jesus man.. i can't believe how fast you guys work.. i went home last night and got my frame connectors ready for paint... never getting done :)

Yes, it takes forever to build them from start to finish. Mostly because of money. I always make time to work on it. Took 13 years to do the rotisserie restoration/race version of my car. Save up for several months for that $1000.00 part, only to bolt it on in a half hour. Lol. Start saving for another few months for the next part....

Yes, it takes forever to build them from start to finish. Mostly because of money. I always make time to work on it. Took 13 years to do the rotisserie restoration/race version of my car. Save up for several months for that $1000.00 part, only to bolt it on in a half hour. Lol. Start saving for another few months for the next part....
yeah, i'm getting 500-700$ to death :) i still think i will at least be on the road this year though.. Coming to grips with spending stupid amounts on a pig is killin me the most.. last time i did a car i could have called a buddy and had one for nothing or at least super cheap :) I need to get used to spending.

Bought mine cause I needed something to put a maxwedge in.
The ugly kinda grows on you....... like a fungus.

Spent tonight welding up stock seat holes, old fuel cell holes, rear seat belt holes, various bracket holes. Thankfully this thing is pretty solid and not to rusty. It's also a good thing I can still kneel under the cage and in the trunk. What am I going to do when I get old?
Doug

Don’t get old, Doug. I hear it’s way overrated. Sticking with youthful interests like playing with cars is where it’s at!

Ahh!! i always wondered why people didn't scavenge dana's from trucks now i know :) they do!

You happen to have any 8 3/4 center sections laying around?

I have a good 742 8-3/4” case fit with a MarkWilliams Steel main cap, 35-spline spool, and a set of 4.10’s. I also have a backbraced housing that’s 50” flange to flange. PM me if your interested.

I have a good 742 8-3/4” case fit with a MarkWilliams Steel main cap, 35-spline spool, and a set of 4.10’s. I also have a backbraced housing that’s 50” flange to flange. PM me if your interested.
Thanks, but not looking to go spool, my car has already gone from "I'll just rering the poly and have a nice old cruiser" to.."well.. a small block with tf's and a cam will be nicer" soon it's just gonna be a rattle box thats annoying to drive :)

Auto Transport Service
Back