• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another project 62 Plymouth N/SS

Thanks, but not looking to go spool, my car has already gone from "I'll just rering the poly and have a nice old cruiser" to.."well.. a small block with tf's and a cam will be nicer" soon it's just gonna be a rattle box thats annoying to drive :)
Sounds good. I started with my car as a stock 383 2-barrel by saying I simply wanted to put a good 4-barrel on it….. Here I am 15 years later about to fire up an 11:1 max-wedge port, stroker, roller-cammed, manual valve-body, spooled, mini-tubbed 10-second beast. . I guess I got a little carried away.
:lol:

FWIW: I struggled for years with breaking 8-3/4” center sections. Think I broke 3 of them over the course of 6 or 8 years. I found the side gears in the sure grip unit to be the weak point. Eventually I went to a locker. Didnt like that as it pushed the car side to side when I would get on or off the throttle. This really got ugly when I began doing more bracket racing, as the car would dart back & forth when I chopped the throttle at 100mph. Not safe!
Finally, I bit the bullet and went to a spool. After hearing how bad they were on the street, and how I would hate it, I expected the worst. Turned out I don’t even notice it unless I’m in a tight parking lot. Even then, I find it to simply be a reminder that I’m driving a bad-azz HotRod. I smile when the tire chirps around corners.

Good looking 62! Hope to see more of it!

Sounds good. I started with my car as a stock 383 2-barrel by saying I simply wanted to put a good 4-barrel on it….. Here I am 15 years later about to fire up an 11:1 max-wedge port, stroker, roller-cammed, manual valve-body, spooled, mini-tubbed 10-second beast. . I guess I got a little carried away.

FWIW: I struggled for years with breaking 8-3/4” center sections. Think I broke 3 of them over the course of 6 or 8 years. I found the side gears in the sure grip unit to be the weak point. Eventually I went to a locker. Didnt like that as it pushed the car side to side when I would get on or off the throttle. This really got ugly when I began doing more bracket racing, as the car would dart back & forth when I chopped the throttle at 100mph. Not safe!
Finally, I bit the bullet and went to a spool. After hearing how bad they were on the street, and how I would hate it, I expected the worst. Turned out I don’t even notice it unless I’m in a tight parking lot. Even then, I find it to simply be a reminder that I’m driving a bad-azz HotRod. I smile when the tire chirps around corners.

Good looking 62! Hope to see more of it!

haha yeah, that's how it goes... i started out planning to just make everything mechanically sound.. and re-ring/bearing the poly and have a old man cruiser...that sure didn't last long..
I have always heard Spools are a pain on the street, i will have to think bout it.. although that MW stuff is WAY out of my cheap price range :)
I really wish i were closer to a drag strip or could afford a trailer/truck.. growing up til bout 30 all i wanted to do was bracket race.. now the nearest track is like 90 mins away, which isn't bad.. but not driving my car to race as i know i will break it :)

Love 62's. They are so ugly they are cool.
A O.E. Savoy Slant 6 completely stock is a bucket list car for me.
I wish there was a thriving nostalgia series on the west coast.
I did some mid west racing with the Texas Outsiders years ago. I agree with you.
are the dual quads required to be legal?
Rules have changed over the years. They were at one time.My 65 had a single 4 bbl and was at a St. Louis race.
Dave Duel was in charge. He looked my car over and said "Don't open the hood"...I was in. Had the time of my life. That was around 2004. Hooked on NSS ever since.

A O.E. Savoy Slant 6 completely stock is a bucket list car for me.

I did some mid west racing with the Texas Outsiders years ago. I agree with you.

Rules have changed over the years. They were at one time.My 65 had a single 4 bbl and was at a St. Louis race.
Dave Duel was in charge. He looked my car over and said "Don't open the hood"...I was in. Had the time of my life. That was around 2004. Hooked on NSS ever since.
Single carb, no dominators are now legal in NMCA. Most places follow NMCA rules.
Doug

Last couple of days has been exhausting. Heated and scraped all the under coating off. Except the front wheel wells. The car is amazingly solid. Except the front fender dog legs and the lower 1/4's there are no holes. Surface rust and way more factory primer that expected. Also fabbed up a engine dipstick using a O ringed Jeep tube and stick. Straightened it. Cut it down and welded it shorter and added a tab to hold it. Recent the A engine trans dipstick tube and added a tab to make removal easier. Then fabbed up some trans lines. I'm whipped.
Doug

20230416_193640.jpg

20230416_193626.jpg

20230416_193619.jpg

20230416_162502.jpg

20230416_170909.jpg

20230416_160947.jpg

20230416_163229.jpg

20230415_130424.jpg

20230415_130441.jpg

Last edited:
Well today the undercarridge is officially scraped. Saved an amazing 11.6 lbs. A lot of work for not much weight reduction. At least everything is clean underneath. Collectors are on, shift cables adjusted, trans and oil cooling sending units are wired, all the fuel lines are done, trans blanket buttoned up, engine diaper test fitted. My friend Virginia started on the carpet today. Custom cut and gluded jute padding. Made cloth templates for the carpet that will be cut and sewn.
Doug

Trans lines look good.. just curious, that's a 2 pump trans? did you find way to run an internal filter? or do you know of a good in line filter? mine got destroyed when i was taking it apart. And.. is that manual pushbutton?

Trans lines look good.. just curious, that's a 2 pump trans? did you find way to run an internal filter? or do you know of a good in line filter? mine got destroyed when i was taking it apart. And.. is that manual pushbutton?
It was originally a 2 pump. The rear pump gears are removed with the race valve body. You can run an internal filter in a 2 pump valve body. It requires a 2nd hole in the filter for the rear pump. You need a 63-65 style filter. Or cut a 1/2" hole in the late style filter. The only part I'm not sure about is if a 62 pan has enough clearance for the filter. A later pan from any 727 will work. I have some laying around.
Doug

It was originally a 2 pump. The rear pump gears are removed with the race valve body. You can run an internal filter in a 2 pump valve body. It requires a 2nd hole in the filter for the rear pump. You need a 63-65 style filter. Or cut a 1/2" hole in the late style filter. The only part I'm not sure about is if a 62 pan has enough clearance for the filter. A later pan from any 727 will work. I have some laying around.
Doug
Ahh thanks a ton! I was kinda curious bout that... The external filter was another thing i didn't know bout 62's... :)

DVW, just curious what balancers you guys use on small blocks? or in general.. i ordered a rattler back in january and now they are saying it won't ship til july.. so looking at other stuffs.

DVW, just curious what balancers you guys use on small blocks? or in general.. i ordered a rattler back in january and now they are saying it won't ship til july.. so looking at other stuffs.
@icetech, Speedway motors. 870012, $497, ships may 2. (Saw your problem in the other thread, can't find it again.)
Bought a brawler 850 race carb kit from them recently (carb, drop base a/c, and a nice fuel line) at a good price, with great delivery service (free shipping).

@icetech, Speedway motors. 870012, $497, ships may 2. (Saw your problem in the other thread, can't find it again.)
Bought a brawler 850 race carb kit from them recently (carb, drop base a/c, and a nice fuel line) at a good price, with great delivery service (free shipping).
Will take a look.. i haven't bought from them before. if it's a rattler it won't ship in may... TCI isn't shipping any til at least july although stores pages say earlier.. that's straight from TCI

Will take a look.. i haven't bought from them before. if it's a rattler it won't ship in may... TCI isn't shipping any til at least july although stores pages say earlier.. that's straight from TCI
why the disagree? i was told that by TCI this morning...

Yep. Says it ships from tci. If tci ain't making any, (and it looks like Speedway doesn't stock it [it's not a chevrolet part]) you ain't gonna get it till they make some.
Id look at others, that have an SFI number.. (somebody in Australia is supposed to be making nice balancers).

If it's street car, they get a stock balancer. Racecars get ATI. Took 4 months to get the last one I ordered.
Doug

If it's street car, they get a stock balancer. Racecars get ATI. Took 4 months to get the last one I ordered.
Doug
Thanks.. guess i will take a look at the rubber in my stock balancer and maybe save some money :)

Inside of the trunk and all the fuel lines are done. This was all done by my son. Now I'm into engine compartment wiring.
Doug

20230420_205619.jpg

20230420_205627.jpg

20230420_205635.jpg

20230421_130649.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back