• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You can't put a 383 in a Dart...

Gotta love Mr. Norm

I hate going to links on Fakebook though

Gotta love Mr. Norm

I hate going to links on Fakebook though
I've touched base with a lot of people from school and old job and keep in touch with many of them. Also the FB marketplace is pretty good for selling stuff locally....

I've touched base with a lot of people from school and old job and keep in touch with many of them. Also the FB marketplace is pretty good for selling stuff locally....
I don't

Back in 1982 when I was in the process of buying my first muscle car (69 Dodge Charger) I was taken a for a 'ride around the block' in the seller's 69 Dodge Dart with a 440 and 4-speed. I think I nearly pooped my pants....it was scary fast.
Sideways round corners....he was a decent driver when sober. :lol: I was impressed enough to buy the Charger, and eventually became addicted like I am now.

Back in 1982 when I was in the process of buying my first muscle car (69 Dodge Charger) I was taken a for a 'ride around the block' in the seller's 69 Dodge Dart with a 440 and 4-speed. I think I nearly pooped my pants....it was scary fast.
Sideways round corners....he was a decent driver when sober. :lol: I was impressed enough to buy the Charger, and eventually became addicted like I am now.
I almost purchased a 68 Dart 440 4-speed before I bought the GTX. Holy crap it was fast-one of the fastest cars I have in in my life. I probably wouldn't be sitting here talking to you if bought it. lol

My friend Ron has a built 440 in his 70 dart 4spd with 456 rear end and frame ties. That car scares me.

An August 1966 Plymouth press release stated the 383 was going to be made available in the new 1967 Plymouth Barracuda 'only.'

Chrysler knew a 383 would fit in a Dart, and offered it later in the model year, February 67 iirc.

They are the same car, Chrysler just wanted to put the new Barracuda up against the competition first.

The story that Dodge thought it wouldn't fit in a Dart makes no sense.

An August 1966 Plymouth press release stated the 383 was going to be made available in the new 1967 Plymouth Barracuda 'only.'

Chrysler knew a 383 would fit in a Dart, and offered it later in the model year, February 67 iirc.

They are the same car, Chrysler just wanted to put the new Barracuda up against the competition first.

The story that Dodge thought it wouldn't fit in a Dart makes no sense.
Probably one of the reasons Ma Mopar made the 67's wider. New model change so bigger engines could be installed. The competition was doing it. Take the 67 and newer Mustangs. No more 289's ilike in the 66's. The 67 Chevelles got a 396 and the Pontiacs already had a big V8.

We never thought a BBM would fit in a Dart either...until it did.

I worked on a dealer sponsored '68 GT that year...when they wanted me to install a 440 on it I quit the effort. I was already racing my Starliner on dirt and didn't have time to reinvent the wheel.

Plus no one I knew had the tools or the talent to do it...me included.

Had a ride or two like that also.
When I was 14 my friends older brother had a 68 or 69 fast back cuda with a big block 4 spd. Not sure if it was a 383 or 440 but I ran pretty damn good lol.

this 70 dart more door with a cartool sub connectors and corner boxes and the front chin reinforcement , is getting a 440 , 727 w gv od , 9 3/4 dana ls 4.1 , tti 2 1/2 exhaust , gtss type bars n rear springs front n rear anti-sway bars it's going with the granny look , full wheel covers , but i did make some 15x8 rims for the rear and they can run the full wheel covers as well . nothing to look at really . still finishing up it eng/trans combo . it should open some eyes when it runs although . lol .

DSC01438.JPG

DSC01444.JPG

DSC01460.JPG

DSC01461.JPG

DSC01462.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

In the full video on Youtube
IIRC it was
"Did Mr. Norm really outsmart the Chrysler Engineers"
they talked about Mr. Norm putting a 383 & headers intake manifold carb etc.
dyno'd it & got like 390hp, in a new 67 Dart slant 6 car "off their lot" in their own shop
that's allegedly the protype, he talked about on the My Classic Cars video
about how to doing the 383cid B-engine in a A-body, he took to the Detroit
by that time they were selling a crapload of performance cars
& dyno tunes, dist. recurved "free with the sale of the cars"...

anyway just figured I'd share

I seem to recall that Chrysler was building 383 Darts and when Chrysler was asked why not make a 440 Dart Chrysler said the 440 would not fit and from what I remember Norm told his people to bring in a 383 Dart and pull the 383 and see why a 440 won't fit. The got the 440 to fit and were selling 440 Darts before Chrysler starting making them.

When I was a junior in HS my older brother bought a new 68 GTS 383 torque flite. It was Gold with a white bucket seat interior. MAN would that thing go...when you could get it to hook!!!!! I do believe that the car that started my lifelong passion for MOPAR!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back