• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You can't put a 383 in a Dart...

My original 67 383 4 speed that I ruined with a tunnel ram, efi, QA1, sway bars, etc.
Drive it everywhere anytime.

20220525_013158.jpg

I have a BB K frame from a 67...... if anyone knows someone who could use it

In 1971 or '72 a guy I worked with in Trenton, NJ bought a '68 Barracuda Notchback, 383, 4 speed. It was all rusted out and I think most of the interior was gone. I called it a Lightweight! He asked me if I wanted to drive it, Did I want to drive it?! We took it out on the highway in Trenton, The John Fitchway. WHAT A BEAST! Spun the tires first, second and halfway through third! I do not know if it was factory or a swap. It didn't say Formula S or have the 383 call outs on the hood. I had a discussion a while back on FABO and I was told that ALL 383 cars were Formula S so I dunno. Maybe a customer came in and wanted a non-S car and the salesman said no and the customer was going to walk and the salesman went to the manager who went to the zone office and they built a non-S car. I do remember seeing a '67 Non-S barracuda convertible, 273, quad, 4 speed, 8 3/4 with all the S stuff but wasn't an S.

Well my son-in-law stuffed a 440 in the family '71 Dart Swinger. I thought he was nuts but he showed me it could be done. He also did the mini-tub himself. He scares the Sh*t out out me! Turns me into Biden and crap myself on rides!! :lol:

10429.jpg

4314.jpg

20200710_233423.jpg

20200710_233536.jpg

67 you could get the 273, 2 or 4 barrel, with or without Formula S.
383 had to be Formula S / GTS.
No 340 yet.

67-69 anything 340 and above had to be Formula S / GTS, and iirc only 2 barrel below a 340.

@matthon Like I said we've already had this discussion on FABO. I would like to think that my friend had a rare and desirable one off. I found the production numbers on FABO. They built 252 383 S Notchbacks and 154 4 speeds. May be the original owner wanted an S delete? Maybe the second owner bought a 318 car and went to the parts department and bought all the correct parts ...or..or.. I dunno! I just want to get into the Time Machine and look at the VIN and the data plate!

Agreed, anything is possible, definitely could get the 273 4 barrel non-S in 67, I hear that wasn't possible all the time even though it's documented.

People told me you couldn't get a 4 speed bench seat 67 Formula S, long before I joined any of these forums, then I bought one and realized people don't know anything, including myself!

I believe my friend's car was a bench seat. And 50 years ago I did parts department swaps with the same '66 383 into a '64 Dodge 440 wagon that was a 318, 4 barrel, A833. I know, they didn't build that one either. It was correct down to the tailpipes except for the bell housing. Then I attached a 727 to it and put it into a '64 Plymouth Wagon again correct to the tailpipes.

'64 Plymouth Wagon again correct to the tailpipes
Do you happen to recall where the tailpipes were located?

I put TTI dual exhaust on my 64 wagon, the tailpipes turn and exit out the sides before the rear bumper.
TTI states that is correct for the 64 wagon, I dig it, wouldn't change it, just curious as I never saw an original dual exhaust wagon.

I've attached a terrible pic.

20240509_014958.jpg

Yes, that is correct. I didn't like the way the system sounded so I took them off. The cops didn't like THAT! The sound with the pipes was what I call "Blat". I had thrush mufflers.

I had the same car as yours only a 6 passenger. Fury, same color, same interior, 318, TF, power steering and manual brakes. The 383 swap car was a Belvedere.

Do you happen to recall where the tailpipes were located?

I put TTI dual exhaust on my 64 wagon, the tailpipes turn and exit out the sides before the rear bumper.
TTI states that is correct for the 64 wagon, I dig it, wouldn't change it, just curious as I never saw an original dual exhaust wagon.

I've attached a terrible pic.

View attachment 1660503
I believe the reason the exhaust exits to the side rather than the traditional style (straight back) so when driving with the rear window lowered the exhaust doesn't enter the interior of the vehicle. My friend has a 67 coronet wagon and installed TTI conventional exhaust and that was the experience. Problem solved by installing new tailpipes exiting to each side.

I believe the reason the exhaust exits to the side rather than the traditional style (straight back) so when driving with the rear window lowered the exhaust doesn't enter the interior of the vehicle.
My thoughts exactly, don't want fumes entering the car.
As far as exiting the rear, nevermind the rear facing seat with no seatbelts.

Where you in detroit at the time? I remember those paper boxes
No, but I had an older woman flag me down and stop me to tell me she worked there, and whenever she returned to Detroit she would pick up a Detroit News!

My old roommate a couple years after HS (maybe 1979-ish)
had a hot maybe 500hp 440 N/A, decent self ported 906 heads
forged speed-pro pistons, made the rods floating & bushed
stuffed it in a 65 Dart GT, the org. engine was long gone
& all white/cream colored, near perfect interior
a near perfect body white, all the trim & glass was pristine

we thought 'it had a 273 org.', it had dual exhaust looked factory

we stuffed in the RB/727tf, an old J converter, a later A-body 8-3/4" rear
a set of my 4.30:1 gears/Sure-Grip
Scary *** lil' 9" drums out front & newer 10" drums IIRC out back
put on a TM7 Edelbrock, Holley 950 3bbl,
plate system Top-Gun w/350hp jets N2O (under a makeshift S/S looking scoop)
yep us dumbasses cut the perfect org. hood to get room for the carb & N2O
'big for the time' a 0.590"/302* Racer Brown solid lifter cam, ductile iron adj rockers
Hooker 2" fender-well headers (tight fit) 2-1/4" exhaust w/h-pipe & with flanges to uncap...

IIRC we had to modify the oil pan too... either for steering or K member I don't remember...

We had to move the single brake MC over, & put in a dual res. MC from a later model...
So we could get the valve covers on & off too, I'm not sure if it would of even fit otherwise...
He spent like $2k back then to do it, & I loaned or gave him some parts
& that wasn't chump change back then either...

It was great light street strip car, it was fast
it didn't handle for ****, it'd pushed like crazy thru corners,
skinny front runners & a big ol' 440 upfront
but would roast the tires (not much room for any rubber)
Had like 60's, of some sort, Polyglass Bias-ply IIRC
& the tallest he could get in it, on like 15x7" wheels, 14" wheels/70s up front
roast them almost anywhere, almost anytime you wanted
up-to like 45-50mph if you wooded it...

Did a bunch of street racing, never took it to the track...
I'd bet, it was a near 10 second car, when 'or if' it hooked...

Last edited:
An August 1966 Plymouth press release stated the 383 was going to be made available in the new 1967 Plymouth Barracuda 'only.'

Chrysler knew a 383 would fit in a Dart, and offered it later in the model year, February 67 iirc.

They are the same car, Chrysler just wanted to put the new Barracuda up against the competition first.

The story that Dodge thought it wouldn't fit in a Dart makes no sense.

Exactly. Seems like a lot of promotional hype.

Maybe something done to wave the flag to speed up offering 383's in Darts so his dealership (Dodge) could sell them.

Did it work or did Dodge already have a plan?

Gee whiz I wonder how many lives were changed after a ride in a big block MoPar?
I remember when my infection happened, went for a beer run while we were working on the roundy round car... 70 Challenger RT, 440 6pac, 4 spd, convertible, Hemi orange w/blk wht interior, a day I will never forget. Even though I've trimmed down my herd I would be hard pressed to walk away from a 68 BB Dart if it was waved under my nose...

I don't know what MoPar was 1st
my Parents, ordered my Mom's 1st ever new car Nov. 1967 (I was 8)
1968 Sport Satellite 383 4 speed, Dark Green GG1 & White
I rode in it many, many times, but my Mom drove it pretty tame...
(dealer installed 3.91:1 rear gears, with some polished slots
& Uniroyal Polyglas (IIRC) raised white letter tires in 60s in 15",
my stepdad Bob was inspired by my Uncle Jim's car
)
I owned the car later in 1979, traded my stepdad a Demon /6 3 on the tree for it & $300

or my Uncle Jim 1968 Barracuda Formula-S Fastback 383 4bbl 4 speed, Green too
with headers a 3310 780cfm Holley Carb, Edelbrock Torker Intake, mild camshaft,
typical era, total day 2 car
that car I inherited later
I think it was Jim's Plymouth 1st, "a true performance MoPar" truly testing it abilities
beating on it, when he 1st got back from Vietnam
he had bought the car new off the lot, just before leaving on his 2nd or 3rd deployment
he took me for a "hell ride" (what he called them), or "being nasty to her"
by his house, going up a lil' incline,
spinning the tires smoking 1st, laying tracks in 2nd & chirping 3rd,
you could hear the 4bbl coming in...
I was all smiles from ear to ear...

Uncle Johns MoPars, mostly all C-bodies, all were BBs
or Uncle Pete, the youngest uncle, much later he had A-bodies small blocks,
but 1 69 Dart GTS 383 4 speed, in green too, the lighter version
or one of my Great Uncle Tink (all their's father) his many MoPars, DeSotos or Dodges

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back