• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You know those times when you're working under the car and you grab for a socket and get a snake instead....

SteveSS

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
..a Bull Snake who's trying to imitate a rattlesnake. My son was under his Ram truck when he reached for a deep socket and saw this instead, sharing his shade. He likes snakes and said the Bull had two mouse lumps in his body.

• Colors and patterns: Rattlers typically have more muted colors than bull snakes, but their patterns are strikingly similar. Some bull snakes have more pale coloring, which can further lead to their being confused with rattlesnakes.
  • Posturing and behavior: Both rattlesnakes and bull snakes tend to move in an S-shaped pattern and will take on an S-shaped coil when frightened. Both snakes will hiss and shake their tails when they sense a threat.
  • Distribution and habitat: Rattlesnakes are found throughout the U.S. and other parts of North America. Bull snakes are not quite as widely distributed, but they are found especially in the south and west, where rattlesnakes are extremely common.
  • Head shape: Rattlesnakes have the classic pit viper triangular head. Bull snakes have pointed snouts that allow them to dig more easily, giving their head a more triangular appearance–though not as noticeable as a rattlesnake’s head.
  • Size: Bull snakes and rattlesnakes are similar in size and build–both snakes have thick, strong bodies. That said, bull snakes may get somewhat larger than some species of rattlesnakes.

bullsnake.jpg

I was laying on my back with my head by the brake pedal doing something behind the dash. Then I noticed the big snakeskin in the harness. I got it out but never did see the snake. We generally do not see poisonous snakes here so I wasnt to concerned.
I just didn't want the surprise when I was driving

Yes, they look similar, but just look for the black/white stripes at the rattles...

IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_4845.JPG

I was fishing the Missouri River from the bank just downstream from Oahe one hot afternoon. The Prairie is great snake habitat. Leaning in and walking up a steep rise of about 45 degrees, a four foot Rattle Snake went off in my face.

My heart started again when I realized it was a Bull Snake whipping his tail to do a Rattler imitation. It worked, I left him alone and started paying better attention.

Found this mo fo hidden with my pressure washer a few weeks ago . Three foot water moccasin

19A1F0FD-A9E7-47D5-8EDB-6792D6058F81.jpeg

I was laying on my back with my head by the brake pedal doing something behind the dash. Then I noticed the big snakeskin in the harness. I got it out but never did see the snake. We generally do not see poisonous snakes here so I wasnt to concerned.
I just didn't want the surprise when I was driving

More than likely a Black snake from your part of the woods.

I found one behind the farm house one day. I stretched it out and it was as long as a '72 Ford pickup dash. That's where I left it so my younger brother would find it the next time he used the truck. Funny watching him get in, starting the truck then bailing out of it like a bomb was going to go off. Lol

Walked in on this little 4 foot guy under my Plymouth a while back. Black snakes get mice, so I pushed him out the door without hurting him...

Snake 1.jpg

Snake 2.jpg

I'll take the mice......we have enough cats around they aren't a problem.

We have Rattlers and Timber Rattlers. They aren't dangerous except when caught napping, or to dogs. For some reason, some dogs take an extreme dislike of snakes. Critters are a lot more serious down south.

Are those in your house, or around your house? Ah hell no. I'd kill those things without a second thought.
When we were kids, we would catch them just south of town and sell them to Reptile Gardens for $2 per pound. Frogs were 50 cents each.

Good info to help convince the little woman that we "need" a car lift, you know, could be safer....ha ha...not a big snake fan here.....

Are those in your house, or around your house? Ah hell no. I'd kill those things without a second thought.
Just outside, but have had a few in the garage. I have only had to kill 3. I would rather have the snakes, I HATE the GD mice!! You pay the snakes respect, and they don't usually bother you. I have a broomstick to shoosh them, and the smaller ones get the end of the old people grocery clompers and I throw them over the fence out yonder. The mice piss & **** everywhere, eat everything including car wiring, and the only thing that seems to keep them at bay are the rattlers, so I choose them.

Auto Transport Service
Back