• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion on Patina?

Great thread and some cool cars being shared.

F43FD18F-A2A8-4852-905B-F632337C3314.jpeg

My current truck, a '69 D300, has REAL patina! Meaning - original paint that is intact but could stand a touch-up here and there, one dent in the lower right step, and it's all one color with no primer spots. I have detailed the frame and fixed wiring issues; so yeah, it's not 100% patina all around.

My previous trucks were a pair if nearly identical '68 D100s, and the red '67 D100 CSS. On the '68 shown, I did put some primer on it (obvious!), but wished I had not done that. The CSS had one repaint way back in life, and it was faded perfectly all around. Should've never sold that truck! It's one of seven 1967 CSS trucks known to exist.

D300 with bed.jpg

D300 side2.jpg

D100-1.jpg

d100movie.jpg

css truck.jpg

I went on a cruise with some guys from the Rat Rod Addiction car club last spring. Drove my 52 Dodge truck. We went into the mountains to a small town, stopped at a pizza place where a small show was taking place. All rat rods. Had a lot of people interested in the 52.

Late into the afternoon they gave out some trophies. Guy next to me in a ratted out International pickup got one. It was a really bool truck. Anyway, was packing up and the president of the club came over and complemented me on the truck. He said he felt bad that I didn’t get a trophy. He said the guys doing the judging were real torn over not recognizing my truck. In the end they felt it wasn’t rat enough. Funny. He told me next year they’ll have an award for the almost rat rod vehicle.

E0F9331F-6BDC-4174-857C-229604517873.jpeg

I was never a big fan of it. Until I built this. Not fake patina. All original patina and rust. Now it is fun pulling up next to and beating anything I pull up next to. Always been a fan of sleepers.

View attachment 1551447

View attachment 1551448
My first car was a sleeper.....a 4dr 66 Belvedere and I guess that's how I came to liking the 2rd sedans. The hardtops look good but like the look of the sedan better. Never really liked 4drs that much and was always on the look out for a 2dr and finally found a solid one in 88 and still have it but man, some one really stacked the paint on it and even though it was all one color, it had to come off and did that about a year after buying it.....and drove it that way for the next 9 years while doing other work to it.

This is patina, original-ish paint, no clearcoat or topcoat.

20230320_124005.jpg

This is not patina, this is defamation.

20230723_091436.jpg

No worries. Next time we go I will post a pic, it hasnt changed in almost 40 years.
I’m a sentimental sort, like the idea of preserving the past, at least when it’s unnecessary to make improvements. I’ve heard that the dance hall where Buddy Holly last performed hasn’t changed much either. At least last I heard some years ago now. Could be another subdivision for all I know.

Around me the old haunts are mostly torn down, one of the outdoor theaters was torn down and sat vacant for 25 years, now a subdivision, the other a big grocery store. One of my favorite drive-in’s back in my youth with a canopy and gals on skates, is a quick oil change place now. Our dance hall going back to the 1920’s was ripped down 30 years ago and it’s just vacant land…yet. Oh well, that’s – progress..

This! Exactly.
More then forty years ago I had a ‘69 Mustang coupe with a fairly warm 289. Tomato soup red painted in the driveway, mismatched mags etc. Real patina. But if I could wind it up it went like snot.
I’m at a red light. Preppie looking guy and his girl pull up beside me in a new Corvette. They look at my car and proceed to snicker. I nod at him, he nods at me. Light turns green and I take off like a fuel altered. The last I saw was him way back in my rear view mirror. He must have turned off because I never saw him again.
Had a guy laugh at my car one night on my way home from work. Caught a light and he looked over and I could hear him laugh. I only had a /6 but it was well tuned and when the light turned green I put a more than a car length on him before he could get the smirk off his face and get his act together and go. Better yet, I saw him at the track the following weekend waiting in the staging lanes. Since I was up ahead in the line, I told the starter that such and such car number wants to race me so I got pulled to the side and well, I beat his butt :D My car wasn't faster....if anything, way slower but I ran the number and cut a good light and he didn't. He wouldn't even look at me after lol
I like your patina too, because your car truly has "patina". But many cars go beyond what I consider patina into just plain rusty and beat up.

So THIS is an example of cool patina
View attachment 1552629

This, in my opinion, is NOT patina. It is just plain 'ol rusty and beat up. Below is not my cup of tea...
View attachment 1552630

I'm not knocking those who have cars like the Cuda above, but I'm personally not a fan and wouldn't want one for myself.
Yeah, that's a bit rough for me too but at least he's having fun with it and most people can't stand getting beat by cars that look like total junk lol

I like how my 64 Fury wagon looks. I was planning on painting it after driving it for a year. I have had many positive comments on how it looks. I will leave it for now . I can always paint it in the future.

20220522_151805.jpg

20220522_151817.jpg

20220522_151753.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back