• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion on Patina?

Rust is not patina -
  1. a film or incrustation, usually green, produced by oxidation on the surface of old bronze and often esteemed as being of ornamental value.
  2. a similar film or coloring appearing gradually on some other substance.

I would consider a vehicle that is very original with a little wear and such "patina", rusty vehicles are just rusty. I get rat rods rust goes along with thier look but rust on a muscle car was never cool back in the day and IMO still isn`t.

more sold patina

DSC07320.JPG

DCP01131.JPG

68 RR lt frt.jpg

69 CORONET RT FRONT.jpg

DSC06305.JPG

69700010.jpg

Scan0015_0015.jpg

71 RR rt frt side.jpg

DSC01714.JPG

69700003.jpg

I have
I don't watch or follow that stuff. Hell, I don't have a TV. LOL
4 t v`s , but dont follow the made for television crap thats on them ...

ALL , of the above cars would look way better slicked up and painted .........

I like how my 64 Fury wagon looks. I was planning on painting it after driving it for a year. I have had many positive comments on how it looks. I will leave it for now . I can always paint it in the future.

View attachment 1555440

View attachment 1555441

View attachment 1555442

This is really a great point to this style; you loose nothing. If you decide you don’t like it in the future, you can paint your car then. You’ve wasted nothing now…you’ve driven it and enjoyed it!

Since I have Hagerty as my insurance company I get their magazine. It's usually great. This time it was called The Patina Issue. Lots of articles about cars with mostly surface rust, old paint, missing chrome, and some battle scars. In considering what they were saying I think some cars can get away with it and some can't. There was a 1st gen Mustang that was set up for road racing that looked pretty cool in its imperfect state and an old Cadillac that was pulling it off pretty well. I can see leaving a historic race car in its original unrestored condition.

Maybe younger hot rodders are into more than me. I watch a channel called BryceCold where he is running a pretty cruddy 1970 Coronet with a modern Hemi.

I just don't think my cars would look good with patina. What about you folks?
patina sucks, put all the work into a car, and have it look like an old pos is dumb.

patina sucks, put all the work into a car, and have it look like an old pos is dumb.
I will walk past 15 shiny painted to get to the patina, rusty, whatever you want to call it car. Money is not the object of not painting all the time, its a preference. I just like them that way.

I tire of my jewelry cars, and walk past every OEM at a carshow. I'm building my car as a throwback to my youth, when money was very scarce.

well patina is like a sleeper , would you think this had this just by looking at it , just like a book and it's cover . sometimes it's a more than thought . 57 d100 413 , 60 d100 440 6pck , 64 d100 hp 383 , 69 d200 cc hp440 , 37 d100 331 ran 160 mph . the sleeper lives !

DSC08001.JPG

DSC08002.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

DSC03450.JPG

DSC00898.JPG

DSC09262.JPG

DSC07921.JPG

DSC01384.JPG

DSC08159.JPG

This is once again an opinion. It appears to be one that few here agree with or appreciate.

I will walk past 15 shiny painted to get to the patina, rusty, whatever you want to call it car. Money is not the object of not painting all the time, its a preference. I just like them that way.

I tire of my jewelry cars, and walk past every OEM at a carshow. I'm building my car as a throwback to my youth, when money was very scarce.

A shiny, finished car is great. I love to see them restored but I also can appreciate the fact that driving them is what gives many of us more pleasure than just looking at them. It seems that body shops that are willing to take on a classic car project are fewer each year. Most car guys can install an engine but can't do body and paint. Because of that, the draw to build and drive is stronger and more attainable than a full restoration.
The car needs to be safe and reliable though. It seems low rent to just blow the dust off of a field car and drive it around like you have street cred.
Also, fake "patina" is bullshit....The dudes that take otherwise clean looking cars and purposely make them look worn out reminds me of the dudes that compete in women's sports.

Also, fake "patina" is bullshit....The dudes that take otherwise clean looking cars and purposely make them look worn out reminds me of the dudes that compete in women's sports.
Agreed. The only cost I won't have in my Duster build, is the body/paint. That's why I bought a N. Kally car. I used to paint for about a decade, and I hated the terrible conditions of doing bodywork. I got a gig painting GM factory limos, at Hess and Eisenhardt. Painted a dozen cars a week. That was fun.

Last edited:
my pop had a paint n body shop for years and i worked it for years , but never painted my cars , well unless i was selling it , lol .

The dudes that take otherwise clean looking cars and purposely make them look worn out
Well, you have some that will pay tons to buy a pair of jeans with rips and such in them. I have a few pairs just like them, except I WORE them down into that condition. I keep a couple pairs around for the filthy chores that do them in, then toss them. I should sell them on fleabay, extra cost for the gear lube stains and that nice aroma..

Personally I love the patina look. I'm restoring one car for show and my Creep Wagon is going to stay this way. I am surprised at the attention it gets. Everything underneath is new. The way I see it, if the Devil decided to go back to Georgia to get his golden fiddle back from that redneck then this is what he would be driving.
Wagon with rims.jpg

Engine1.jpg

ALL , of the above cars would look way better slicked up and painted .........
Sure they would, but shiny doesn't make a car or truck run. Shiny is freakin' expensive in 2023! Paint, chrome, and bodywork cost BIG $$$, and most of us have other things to spend money on.

JMO. i like the onisty of this. on a wagon its fitting. thay spent there lives getting beat on.. family vacation kids to the park and such. but i do like the beater look if its real.
don't get me wrong ... i dig sweet shinny hemi cuda. but like alot of the cars in this thing. thay look good just as thay are. maby its my age creeping up on me. but the plane jane dog dish steel wheels
original paint (or whats left) ruff around the edges is way cooler. on the other hand... the rusty E body ... ya thats to much. it need to be delt with

IMG_20231105_154121582_HDR.jpg

wagons for sale 005.JPG

wagons for sale 001.JPG

JMO. i like the onisty of this. on a wagon its fitting. thay spent there lives getting beat on.. family vacation kids to the park and such. but i do like the beater look if its real.
don't get me wrong ... i dig sweet shinny hemi cuda. but like alot of the cars in this thing. thay look good just as thay are. maby its my age creeping up on me. but the plane jane dog dish steel wheels
original paint (or whats left) ruff around the edges is way cooler. on the other hand... the rusty E body ... ya thats to much. it need to be delt with

View attachment 1557043

View attachment 1557044

View attachment 1557045
That '63 Dodge would be a killer sleeper cop car clone.

10 years apart and 2 different coasts. Malibu in 2013 for CPW Spring Fling and Daytona in 2023 for Sick Week. This car will stay exactly as it is until I get tired of it and want it shiny. Hasn't happened yet. You can even see how much more paint it has lost from the first picture to the second.

Malibu.jpg

20230216_141227.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back