• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

your opinion please - just received my restored headlight motor

Um, NO!! You should have been advised and given options to correct.. $375 sounds like a restoration price, not a make it work price.

Asking what others think is fine, but more and specific info about the exact conversation you had with the person who allegedly did this restoration as you call it , is really needed. Were you promised a complete restoration to like new condition ? Or were you told that it would be simply made to work again. IMHO you paid a lot for very little in return. I have seen similar posts thru the years. It would be nice to get the names of who did the work to help prevent others from from going thru similar situations. It's a small group of individuals and companies that can do proper restoration work on parts for these cars. Knowing who is honest and does the work properly is always appreciated. The pictures in the previous posts of the new looking motor, now that's an exceptional restoration...

What was agreed upon, "rebuilt" or "restored"? I don't see how that unit could be restored without replacing a couple of the visible external parts and I'm not sure replacing things like that would be included in a quote without first seeing the unit.

Would love to have mine gone through but I am not loving the idea of waiting four months. I think I would try the body filler and repaint suggestion on Davek's, assuming the internals are not as bad as the outside.

I would have to say that if it was implied that it was to be restored and not just repaired then I would be disappointed.

i ask you this Respectfully,would it take you or your shop 3 hours to " restore " that barrel ?
No mention if the unit actually worked before sending it out. If it did and all that happened was slapping on a coat of POR 15 then the cost is a disgrace. If it didn't work and has been taken apart and the internals repaired I can see spending way more than 4 hours on it. As for the outside expecting to come back smooth, that's coats and coats of primer, sanded back off until the pits are filled.... or bondo and the same work = hours. The rear axle in my Bee was 10 coats of epoxy primer on and sanded back off before it was shot with final colour.

The other question is, are they supposed to be black or where they bare steel... that I don't know, not a Charger guy.

i ask you this Respectfully,would it take you or your shop 3 hours to " restore " that barrel ?
THAT barrel ... you couldn't do it in 3 hours. Personally I think its too far gone for a "resto". Filling something with bondo hardly qualifies as "restoration" !!

Looking at the pictures again. I see it has all new hardware, possibly the wiring & plug, new shiny end plate on the motor, drive gear appears extremely clean, etc. so the unit has been fully apart and reassembled.

IMHO Too expensive for the final result.

no need for bondo but maybe better lead to fill the pits?

Or simply the guy could be clear about what could be made or not to meet your expectations for the price.

Last edited:
The very word 'restoration' means that it should be brought back to the original condition. Anything else would fall into a rebuild category, which is fine if that's what was offered in the first place.

I'm not so sure I want to take that bet without knowing the full story. Look at all the cad parts that are now perfect.

Last edited:
Uhh, no.
Pits in the surface cannot be sanded out because they are areas where the metal rusted away. That wiper motor was heavily pitted before the rebuild. It would be unreasonable to expect the rebuilder to do what equates to "bodywork" to the housing unless it was agreed upon beforehand.
If it functions properly, maybe consider a wrinkle finish paint to disguise the rough finish. I'd be okay using it in one of my cars if it functioned right.
I wished he would of called me and told me. Live and learn to ask everything before I send out anything. It was rebuilt.

if I had sent if off to be repaired I'd be ok with that .But to pay for a "restored" piece ,oh that wouldn't be acceptable . if the person doing the work seen the surface after blasting he could have known it would not clean up and notified the client . if it was agreed upon by them both to go ahead and finish then that's a different story .
He should of called me,I expected it to be restored.

Auto Transport Service
Back