• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion

Cannot be shipped or used in california. Further proof of how screwed up this state is (as if we needed it).

They have been shutting off cars at stoplights overseas for a long time. I remember in Germany in the 80s it was law that you had to shut off your engine at a red light. Before the light turned green it would go from red to yellow then green. That yellow alerted you to start your engine again.

seems like a complex system with additional points of failure

not interested, like I am not interested in adaptive 4 wheel steering

can you imagine trying to fix either?

Hybrids have used this technology for years They shut down the engine and run on battery as much as they can. It is noticeable, particularly on a 4 cylinder, but not so much after you have driven the car a while. A Prius is way above about all cars made today in reliability. They typically go 150K miles with little maintenance before they need the hybrid battery replaced.

I am sure this is a part of the overall programming of the car and the published fuel economy numbers. I would think messing with it would screw up the entire engine management. This is like saying the brake pedal pulsed during hard braking on the first car you bought with ABS brakes, and not on any cars you drove before, so you decided to disable the ABS.

It is a part of the manufacturers design. Learn to live with it.

Your wife is mostly fine with it, if she understands what it is doing and why, and will tell you to leave her car alone. If she had wanted a car that drove like a 50 year old Mopar, she probably would have bought one.

I just wonder about the cost to charge a hybrid ? In the northeast electricity is expensive . Cheapest my electric bill is $140 to a high $320.
ABS is good most of the time. Had a jerk cut in front of me making a left turn. Hit the brakes (no abs) at the last second I cut wheel left drivers side rear locked. It let the car slide parallel to the moron. Let up on the brake and wrestled the power steering to straighten the car out. With ABS would've tagged him/her.

My F150 has the disable button, but it resets itself every time you shut the car off & restart it. I'd remember to hit the disable button only when the engine shuts off, not at start up. However, I found a video on Youtube that showed how to disable it easily and permanently. I'm sure that there have got to be more videos for different models.

I just wonder about the cost to charge a hybrid ? In the northeast electricity is expensive . Cheapest my electric bill is $140 to a high $320.
ABS is good most of the time. Had a jerk cut in front of me making a left turn. Hit the brakes (no abs) at the last second I cut wheel left drivers side rear locked. It let the car slide parallel to the moron. Let up on the brake and wrestled the power steering to straighten the car out. With ABS would've tagged him/her.

Hybrids recharge their battery themselves both from the engine and and creating electricity from regenerative braking. You only plug in a plug-in-hybrid or fully electic car. Cost of electricity in most areas allows you to drive a plug-in-hybrid or fully electric for about half to two-thirds the cost of gasoline. Full electrics still suffer from limited range, but many are now 200-300 miles. Hybrids and plug-in-hybrid have a gasoline engine and no range limitations as long as gas is available.

If you have electricity charged at peak and non-peak demand costs as most areas converted to smart meters, you charge an electric at night off peak. Tesla is making their cars usable as a home geneator when your power goes out.

You can drive a fully electric car coast to coast quite cheaply, but you have to plan on recharging stations and waiting time to recharge.

I have seen free recharging stations at parking spaces in major metros to encourage people to buy electrics to reduce urban pollution. Some employers also provide the same. In that case there may be no fuel cost.

Semi-tractors are starting to convert to electric as truck stops alone interstates are a logical location for charging stations. They cost less to operate, are lower maintenance, don't require those frequent diesel oil changes and electric power is on or off delivering instant 100 torque.

Auto Transport Service
Back