• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your "perfect" classic car?

What is your "perfect" classic car?

• 100% original, take to shows and/or drive sparingly

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Modified super nice car, take to shows and/or drive sparingly

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • A (mostly) original driver car I truly use

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • A modified driver car I truly use

Votes: 27 25.5%
  • A drag race car I regularly race

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • A drag race inspired street car I seldom race at the track

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • A car that needs to be built/ restored (I prefer building them)

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters
I love my Satellite and we drive the snot out of it. That being said I would like to pick up a 71 Demon 340 4 speed

Keeping everything running good is the real chore. This year it's been tires and batteries. When I try to thin the heard, nobody will steps up. Not bragging just facts. All in all when it quits being fun, I will quit.
It's not fair, like you, when life gets real good, time starts getting short and sometimes our body reminds our mind who's really in charge.

Thanks for the votes and comments so far. A couple of you mentioned "day 2", and I guess my category "A (mostly) original driver car I truly use" would be a day 2 car.

I'm not sure if my 70 would be categorized as a (mostly) original car or a modified car. I have modified a fair amount of things, like adding hidden fuel injection, overdrive, mostly hidden suspension mods like firm feel and sector support kit, polyurethane, bigger radial tires, modified original radio to now be Bluetooth with subwoofer, etc. So I guess I categorize mine as modified, but one maybe could argue it is still mostly original since it looks mostly original? Regardless, it is what I like! :thumbsup:

Gen_Front_3Quarter.jpg

I definitely like modified cars, not so drastic that they loose their original appeal but little mods that enhance the overall look. #1 priority for me when I'm building a car is reliability and driveability so right off the bat I'm doing disc brakes, suspension upgrade, overdrive transmission, rim and tire upgrade, complete electrical upgrade and interior comfort (nice seats, stereo, a/c, etc).

Highly optioned original (meaning hemi r/t or gtx on b bodies) or pro touring both in nice shape.
I will really use any car i buy. I'm not buying a car just to collect & show off.
Since I got my Hemi GTX (numbers matching), first comment I get from most people is, "can't believe you're driving it on the street." With power steering, and power disc brakes, I find it way more user friendly than my last two 440 cars with no power options. Comment I get from serious Mopar folks (rare in my neck of the woods): glad to see it's being driven, not stashed away. Personally, I've leaned toward basically original cars, because they've been easy for someone with my level of expertise to keep running with the aid of a factory service manual and not much else. For those of you capable of doing builds, I admire your stuff too.

Hemi driving.jpg

Last edited:
MY,,,,,, perfect car is one I can get in at any time and take it for a drive .
All out race cars and / or 100% original -show poodles are not my style.

I can enjoy looking them over. but if I cant drive it, I dont want it .

I drive my car A LOT, not everyday mind you. But I could if I wanted to foot the gas bill it requires.

The most common comment I get is is it real? and kuddos for driving it.

Ive owned it a year as of last week. And Ive put a tad over 5000 miles on it. This summer we took it on an all back roads drive up thru Arizona with friends. LOVED it.
And will do it again next year maybe .

193299558_4738486679513801_5668917531993604008_n.jpg 194404782_4747107651985037_8426441675468914826_n.jpg 193767375_4740599279302541_4109717723819961220_n.jpg 194232997_4747118901983912_8715278006140205072_n.jpg

Had both nice cars and beaters. They both are good but over time I got more enjoyment from the beaters....so long as they had power and were safe to drive of course but had a lot of fun with the /6 66 Belvedere too both on the street and track. Also like having nice looking drag cars and have had a couple of those. Loved one but learned to hate the other and didn't keep it long nor was it ever entered in competition. I clicked on #4 but all have applied at one time or another....and have no use for trailer queens. Drive em like you stole em!

Thanks for the votes and comments so far. A couple of you mentioned "day 2", and I guess my category "A (mostly) original driver car I truly use" would be a day 2 car.

I'm not sure if my 70 would be categorized as a (mostly) original car or a modified car. I have modified a fair amount of things, like adding hidden fuel injection, overdrive, mostly hidden suspension mods like firm feel and sector support kit, polyurethane, bigger radial tires, modified original radio to now be Bluetooth with subwoofer, etc. So I guess I categorize mine as modified, but one maybe could argue it is still mostly original since it looks mostly original? Regardless, it is what I like! :thumbsup:

View attachment 1176638
Beautiful car!:
When I was looking at it i thought a street bruiser/Saturday Night Special which is a drag inspired theme, especially with the meat in the rear tubs... Then I started thinking about articles I read about how these cars came into existence...all were race inspired, by NASCAR initially but the late 60s,early 70s were all based around drag racing amd bringing that to the street...
So a day one 68-72 I guess could be "Drag inspired"...

Should have added "significantly modified Restomod" to the list...

Personally I do not like or care for "100%" original cars, absolutely boring to me. I MUCH prefer modified cars and really like restomod type cars. I like some of the originality but love modern performance, reliability and to some degree comfort and convenience. I do like much of the factory appearance but definitely like/want a high degree of reliability, handling, braking, and performance. All that said, I have to admit I like building them more than driving them mainly because I don't go anywhere these days.

Needs an "all of the above" choice as well. I have at least one car that fits into all of the categories. I just love all American Musclecars.

Beautiful car!:
When I was looking at it i thought a street bruiser/Saturday Night Special which is a drag inspired theme, especially with the meat in the rear tubs... Then I started thinking about articles I read about how these cars came into existence...all were race inspired, by NASCAR initially but the late 60s,early 70s were all based around drag racing amd bringing that to the street...
So a day one 68-72 I guess could be "Drag inspired"...
Thank you! Whatever it is called (and I constantly have trouble putting it into a "category"), it is fun to drive, comfortable on long trips with A/C and O/D, but has that muscle car vibe. This one will stay in my garage if I can help it.

Needs an "all of the above" choice as well. I have at least one car that fits into all of the categories. I just love all American Musclecars.
I thought about that, but I suspect almost all of us would choose that, and then this would be a boring poll. It is hard to choose the one that best describes what we like! :thumbsup:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

An R/T is all I need. A Hellcat would end up being another show car and I don't need another one of those! You can get a Scat Pack pretty reasonable and an R/T is even less. I bought used and saved a pile. I could have gotten a 6.4 for $32K but passed on that for the same reason as the Hellcat - need a driver, not a show car.

I'll agree with you, Mustangs are CHEAP! :D
Not fond of Henry Ford at all.

Sorry I never responded but I didn't see this until this morning.

LOL! You aren't wrong, it's very cheap in comparison to other manufactures and I have always loathed Ford engineering. I was pretty surprised at some of the gaps and overall quality of material but I got a hell of deal on the car and couldn't pass it up. I got a new 2020 because the dealer put WAY to much money in the Roush supercharger set up and no one one wanted to buy it. After a year in their showroom, they wanted it gone let's just say I basically got the supercharger set up for free. I still get the full factory warranty too because it was performed new at the ford dealership. I cannot complain with 750 hp and 678 ft/tq either.

I am always a Mopar guy first but I won't lie, the newer charger guys here in DFW are generally pretty obnoxious (worse than the mustang crowd if you can believe that) and I do love smoking them from time. My only issue is that I get the overwhelming urge to drive through crowds when I see them. Not sure why though, hahaha.

Mine would be 69 black charger W/426 Hemi. My buddy had a new 69 hemi which I drove a couple times that car I would love to own today. Like the one pictured below.

Zkq0Z%2bkNqjW6Q&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.dragzine.com%2ffiles%2f2011%2f06%2fmecum_69_hemi_charger_rt.jpg

Sorry I never responded but I didn't see this until this morning.

LOL! You aren't wrong, it's very cheap in comparison to other manufactures and I have always loathed Ford engineering. I was pretty surprised at some of the gaps and overall quality of material but I got a hell of deal on the car and couldn't pass it up. I got a new 2020 because the dealer put WAY to much money in the Roush supercharger set up and no one one wanted to buy it. After a year in their showroom, they wanted it gone let's just say I basically got the supercharger set up for free. I still get the full factory warranty too because it was performed new at the ford dealership. I cannot complain with 750 hp and 678 ft/tq either.

I am always a Mopar guy first but I won't lie, the newer charger guys here in DFW are generally pretty obnoxious (worse than the mustang crowd if you can believe that) and I do love smoking them from time. My only issue is that I get the overwhelming urge to drive through crowds when I see them. Not sure why though, hahaha.

I get it...sort of but have heard many stories of people who traded Mustangs and Camaros and took a hit to get in to a Challenger. There is something about the Borla exhaust that doesn't sound right to me but that's just me - and a few other people I know. I agree many of the new Charger and Challenger owners are dicks especially if you beat their new Hellcat in a car show with a 50yr old muscle car in the form of a 69 Charger R/T. I've done it more than a few times. Boo Frickity Hooo

I would love to have a superbird. I would drive it all over the place. I wouldn't care what engine it had. It could even have a slant 6 and I woud still wheel it
But that ain't gonna happen so ill drive my charger everywhere starting this spring
She ain't pretty she ain't got a straight piece of metal on her but I own her and I'll drive her

Gotta say....my most favorite car ever was a 71 340 Cuda. It was pretty much stock except for Hooker Super Comp headers. Even with the stock sway bar bushings, it handled pretty dang good after doing a 'performance' alignment but even before that, it wasn't bad. It was also the best donut car I've ever had. Have no idea why I ever sold that one after owning it for 15 years!

I get it...sort of but have heard many stories of people who traded Mustangs and Camaros and took a hit to get in to a Challenger. There is something about the Borla exhaust that doesn't sound right to me but that's just me - and a few other people I know. I agree many of the new Charger and Challenger owners are dicks especially if you beat their new Hellcat in a car show with a 50yr old muscle car in the form of a 69 Charger R/T. I've done it more than a few times. Boo Frickity Hooo

I know the feeling lol.

Pulled up in this to a small Mopar only car show in Delaware, parked it right in the middle of a row of 20 Hellcats. Immediately half of them left and were visibly pissed as they drove off. Guess they felt they got outdone.

Screenshot_20211011-074204.png

Auto Transport Service
Back