• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your recommendation for best valve cover gaskets. I got a leaker....

Big Bad Dad

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
What have you guys found to be the best valve cover gasket for use with stock, stamped steel, big block Mopar valve covers? I have had a couple sets on the 361 in my 64 Fury, and still get leaks. I do have the hi rise "magnum" style exh manifolds, which probably push some heat over to the covers. (And yes, I have straightened the covers around the bolt holes.)Thanks

64 Ply cap 1.jpg

Moroso blue reusable.
I would also highly recommend you change out the single pot master cylinder for a 67 up style.
We'd like to keep you around...
Because if that thing failed it would be bad for Big Bad Dad

I just use the FelPro cork, permatex to the covers after checking rails & bolt holes for flatness & straightness.
Smear a little brown bearing grease on the head side & install.
I'll double check the fastener torque - usually have to tighten once or twice - and no leaks.

Had a set that always leaked. Resorted to pulling the heads and milling the VC seal surface, found it had more than 1/8" deviation as cast. No leaks after milling.

Moroso blue reusable.
I would also highly recommend you change out the single pot master cylinder for a 67 up style.
We'd like to keep you around...
Because if that thing failed it would be bad for Big Bad Dad
Car now has a double pot and converted to disc brakes.

I used the Fel-pro with steel reinforcement And nothing else. They are kind of thick and I had to re-tighten them about 10 times over a 7 day period before they finally took a final set and stabilized. I think they are going to be tight.

I used the Fel-pro with steel reinforcement And nothing else. They are kind of thick and I had to re-tighten them about 10 times over a 7 day period before they finally took a final set and stabilized. I think they are going to be tight.
You don't have to do that with the moroso gaskets.

Original iron heads??? Cork.. plain old cork and zero sealer.
They only last about 5 years for me with the 68-69 exhaust manifolds, then the stinky burnt oil smell appears.
Couldn't get anything to work on my Plymouth with the M/T covers until I tried the Moroso gaskets.
One corner had no sealing ridge on the cover side right where the head sealing surface was pretty narrow.

I'd start by making sure the gasket rails on the valve covers are true and flat first. They're tough old steel but more often than not, the ones that show up here usually need some hammer work.

Auto Transport Service
Back