• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zinc additive?

My engine builder cautioned that many new oil formulations view Zinc as a contaminent and the cleaning agents in the oil will cling to it and try to remove it. He suggested just running a high Zinc oil for flat tappet cam motors, and recommends the Driven brand owned by Joe Gibbs. If you've got a roller cam, it's less of a concern.

This. My cars generally like the 10-40 flavor
Bee = 10W30, Dart = 10W40 and Bird = 20W50 $600Cdn hit in 3 boxes..
oilpenngrade 002.JPG

Instead of those expensive additives, I like to mix a little kerosene with some Summer's Eve and bacon grease...get it worked into a nice liquid and add about 8oz to every oil change....haven't lost a lobe yet.

FYI.....from Machinery Lubrication magazine. And its available as a FREE subscription
www.machinerylubrication.com for those who may want to learn a little more.

What are the benefits of using zinc additives in engine oils?"
In lubricant formulas, zinc additives typically come as an organic compound that contains zinc and phosphorus known as zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP). This additive is a polar substance that can provide several benefits to engine oils as well as many other lubricant applications.
The term “polar” indicates the substance has a natural magnetic attraction to other polar compounds or materials such as iron and some metals that may be present in the machine’s components. This natural attraction allows the additive to migrate from the oil to metallic surfaces, producing a very thin layer that covers and adheres to the surfaces.
The ZDDP additive can work in a variety of ways. For instance, it acts as a barrier against moisture to prevent rust formation. It also is known for its anti-wear properties, which means it can provide an additional lubricant layer, particularly in areas where the oil film is thin due to the operating conditions.
When two mating surfaces are in close contact because of their operation or load, the temperature momentarily rises. This temperature increase produces a chemical reaction between the additive and metallic surface, creating a temporary lubricant layer and reinforcing the film produced by the oil or grease.
ZDDP may also act as an oxidation inhibitor. Oxidation is one of the aging processes of a lubricant. It occurs when a lubricant’s molecules react chemically with the oxygen in the air. This process degrades the lubricant’s properties, so at some point it will be necessary to change the lubricant. The zinc additives are intended to retard the oxidation process to help ensure a longer lubricant life.
Keep in mind that as these mechanisms take place, the existing additives in the oil are gradually consumed. This is referred to as additive depletion, and eventually it may be another reason to change the oil or grease.
It also is important to consider the drawbacks of using ZDDP. For example, this additive was found to affect a vehicle’s catalytic converter performance, which consequently impacts the quality of the car’s exhaust emissions. For this reason, more recent lubricant performance requirements issued by the American Petroleum Institute (API) demand lower concentrations of this additive in lubricant formulas. The latest API quality levels for gasoline engine oils have lower ZDDP concentrations, which has led to other compounds being used to compensate.

Just a little information for future reference.....
BOB RENTON

Mobile 1 synthetic using it in every engine i have ,, from lawn mowers , snow blowers to all my vehicles for the past 38 years ,, no issues

I thought they took the zinc out of rotella? I stopped using it myself and switched to brad penn awhile back.

I thought they took the zinc out of rotella?
I think it may have been lowered a tad, but still higher than regular motor oil. Can't swear to it, but I think it is still in the 1200 ppm range.

Bee = 10W30, Dart = 10W40 and Bird = 20W50 $600Cdn hit in 3 boxes..
View attachment 1171741
That’s a lot of dough for oil. I know everyone has their favourites, me included, but I buy 5 quart jugs of Lucas hot rod oil for $36 a jug. If you’re open to trying something new I can recommend it with confidence. No flat cams yet..

Here's what I use and Valvoline 10/30 Conventional.

zinc.png

Talking with a Penn Grade chemist back when the name was changed from Brad Penn, he assured me it was the exact same formula as Brad Penn and even Kendall from years ago.

He also stated that adding any zinc additive to any oil isn't the best thing to do. These oils are specifically designed and formulated to do a certain job and adding any additive especially zinc can alter the chemistry and could be detrimental.

Instead of those expensive additives, I like to mix a little kerosene with some Summer's Eve and bacon grease...get it worked into a nice liquid and add about 8oz to every oil change....haven't lost a lobe yet.
Bean, have you been peeking in my crankcase? That sounds a lot like a what im using.
Really, just using what I find in my garage.

20210318_163322.jpg

The ZDDP may have been lowered a bit, but the big thing was they had to drop the SM rating on it, because it has ZDDP in it. I used to use Brad Penn or Penn Grade as well. It just got too difficult to come by and expensive.

The ZDDP may have been lowered a bit, but the big thing was they had to drop the SM rating on it, because it has ZDDP in it. I used to use Brad Penn or Penn Grade as well. It just got too difficult to come by and expensive.

Is the added expense of the oil worth the cost of a cam and associated labor.....personally, I don't think so. The solution is simple.....use what ever oil (brand, viscosity) you desire and add the ZDDP, in what ever concentration you want (several ounces to a quart) that will provide the degree of protection YOU want or desire. I use 10W-30 Mobil One with 8 ounces of ZDDP in my RS23V0A****** 1970 GTX.....but this is works for me. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back