• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Hey nice car!”

fine69

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Whenever I have the charger out and about it’s a guarantee to get at least one “hey nice car!”.
It’s nice to receive compliments and all but what really is the right response? Thanks? I know? I agree?
The compliment is really directed to the car so why would I say thanks? Perhaps if I had built and painted the car I might be more receptive of compliments.
What do you fellers usually say?

People point at me and laugh while I'm driving around. I always thought it was the car, but I'm starting to think that it might be me.

It's just a short version of you have a really nice car there sir. So say, thank you. People like to tell me how they used to have one or their neighbor or uncle had one. I feel kind of privileged knowing someone I know will say, yeah a guy a knew, Steve had one of those.

Ive had that compliment a few times. Im one for just saying thank you.

I do compliment others when I see there car at a stop light. I think to some they feel there owed something.

How ever there are some pretty arrogant owners of cars out there.

my son has told a few. You seem like a nice person. Just to bad you got a bad taste in cars. :D

I was at a traffic light yesterday and this car pulled up beside me, the lady says hey, nice car, do you mind if I take a picture of it?

Whenever I have the charger out and about it’s a guarantee to get at least one “hey nice car!”.
It’s nice to receive compliments and all but what really is the right response? Thanks? I know? I agree?
The compliment is really directed to the car so why would I say thanks? Perhaps if I had built and painted the car I might be more receptive of compliments.
What do you fellers usually say?
My favorite response? "Thank you. And I think so too. If she is in a good mood!"

Last edited:
hot blondes I may offer a ride around the block.

Hot Blonde in "Way North Canada"

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 10.50.04 AM.png

:lol:

99% of the time my reply is "preesh-ee-ate it" ("appreciate it", southern-speak) or a quick
smile and "thank you".

Lookit - I don't reckon anyone paying you (or yes, the car more specifically) a compliment
actually believes you designed it, brought it down the assembly line or any of the like.
When I pay others the same sort of compliment on their car, the implication is obviously "hey,
I appreciate the effort you've put in bringing the car to this point" - it's a compliment to
your stewardship of the car when you get right down to it.

Y'all know me - I try to be a good ambassador of the hobby and a proper steward of Fred usually,
right? Well, once in a blue moon, a person catches me wrong and I slip up a bit - like yesterday

(Short Ed story alert!):
We had Fred down to the local Subway last evening, which is located in an otherwise abandoned
old strip retail center - so we figured it'd be quiet over there.
Well...
Hell no - a stampede of sub-chompin' inbreds was right behind us, turns out....
I always park sort of away from others if I can (unless spot #1 is open right up front), but that didn't
help last night - Buford after Buford pulled right up beside it, heads craning out their windows like
hound dogs do going down the road. damn near drooling on the poor car.
Oy....

Usually, I love spending a minute or two with the odd person who walks up and wants to talk about
the car - but last night, I was just trying to eat and get out of that suddenly overcrowded little seating
area (we made the mistake of opting to eat in).
Then the biggest Bubba of them all goes damn near running (ok, waddling) towards Fred from across
the parking lot, full head of steam - and that was all I could stand.
The wife trying to keep me from doing so, I headed out the door anyways, bee-lining right for him
as he proceeded to lean in through Freds' open window and start actually grabbing at things.
OH. HELL. NO. :mad:
Looky, no touchy....

I proceeded to give that young ummm, whatever the hell it was, a quick lesson in etiquette he never
learned at home (but obviously was in need of) - as politely (yet probably coming off as threatening)
as I could.
He gave me the look of "entitlement" so many young folks have these days, but I made quick work
of that little attitude and that human supertanker in bib overalls wound up in full reverse, me "walking"
him back from whence he came.
I then offered a quick lesson in how to properly approach another humans' property, if he liked...
which the rest of his clan in the family truckster listened to in rapt attention as well.
We wound up back at Fred and a polite, friendly conversation ensued.:thumbsup:

I actually enjoy people giving my car compliments. It kind of comes with the territory and I knew when I got the car people might like it but I had no idea the responses I get like they had a family member had one or a neighbor had one.
Just went to the John Deere dealer this morning to get a mower belt and I come out and at least 6 people are out there checking out the car so I spent 10 minutes or so telling the cars story.
Bottom line I just tell them I really appreciate it and I love everything about it but the gas mileage but hey it comes with the territory.

Why thank you sir. I'll convey the compliment to my great grandparents when I return home with their car.
:lol:

I've got a few friends who are eskimos, they have a sense of humor & generally take ribbing just fine... But be ready cause they can give it back too...

I have no problem with the compliment. It matters not if I bought the car like it is or if I have wrenched on every bolt, nut, and screw. It's a compliment to the car, or your selection of the car. A simple thanks, or thank you, along with a smile is all you need.

Thanks is fine...

don't overthink it...

I say Thanks, or the thumbs up & I like it... often

Auto Transport Service
Back