• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter parking

tom jaffeux

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Winter time is here so little to no car driving unless it’s a nice day like to know what to do with the gas do you leave it like it is or puts gas stabilizer in it or just go get some 110 leaded gas I like to hear some input. Thanks, Tom.

Honestly I never did anything with mine. And I lived in MN. But I’ve seen this come up before and most guys put in some kind of stabilizer to keep it from going bad. You’ll know it’s bad in the Spring if it has nauseating smell to it. Back in MN I never knew of such things and it stayed good so no worries. Then of course eventually moving to CA it was unnecessary.

Occasionally, put in premium eth-free rec gas. Can’t get it in my county; but it’s a nice country cruise to a station that has it about 30 miles away. Before winter storage I put that fuel in it, thinking it’s better than the regular stuff. I’ve used stabilizer before settling on this idea.

I only use ethanol free (except travelling to Carlisle).
I try and time it so it's kinda low just before I store it.
Go fill it, drive it and then park it.
Works well for me.

I wish I could find ethanol free gas around here!
My storage routine for my cars is to fill the tanks full to help prevent moisture condensation that can rust the tank. I add a concoction of a couple gallons of AVgas with Stabil 360 mixed in it into the tanks before I top off at the gas station.
I‘ve been doing this yearly for several decades, and my cars fire right up in spring.
The only issue I had was last year. I had my Magnum displayed in MCACN where the rule is 1/4 tank or less inside the convention center. I topped it off the next weekend after the show, end of November. Shortly after I started driving the car again in Spring, on a fairly warm day the car was acting up at a cruise, stumbling, stalling etc. It then ran fine later after getting fresh gas. I think my late November top off was winter blend gas, which lead to some vapor lock in the hot weather. I generally do my top off routine in late October before they change the fuel blend.

wish I could find ethanol free gas around here
I live about 20 miles from Milwaukee; the surrounding counties don’t have it; but most of the state has it. Same deal with emission testing mandates, we have it here in the counties that doesn’t sell the good gas; but most of the state doesn’t. Not for the old rides; but the two daily drivers require a visit to a place that does the testing. Did I say – grrr?

I use Stabil in all my cars/trucks, the generator, chainsaw
or any small gas engines too, so far so good
I don't drive as much as I used to
one or another car/truck sits for a period of time
especially if I'm making changes
& we have temps from 110* in summer to the teens in the winter
it seems to keep the fuel fresh (?)

They claim you're supposed to fill the tank
'allegedly' it causes less oxidation or corrosion
I never have
that makes for 20 gals of old fuel
instead of 5-6 gal.s maybe, marginal fuel

I use Stabil too in the mowers and such too. I usually put it in the last 5 gal can of gas for mowing and run everything on that before putting them up for the winter. I keep it in my generator all the time. I have let it set for 3 yrs without running and it started right up when I used it.

I just park it with whatever is in my cars for the winter but I do top them off and fill them to keep the condensation and moisture out of the tank while sitting.
If you have an electric pump shut it off early and run the bowls dry.

My 67 really only sits from November to March/ April .
I always use non ethanol , never had any go bad in 5 months.
If I was storing long term , a year or two I would empty it.

It's 10 degrees F here in Jesus Land. We think that's cold and the wind always adds to it. I drove my beat up old Road Runner. It has an Eddie 1405 with the choke wired open, but it still has iron heads with crossover for heated intake manifold. It was a little temperamental at first, but did just fine once it warmed up.

There's no heater inside the car (bypassed), so you can't drive n4ked in winter. You have to wear clothes.

Chicago Style...cr8crshr/Bill:lol::lol::lol::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Chicago Winter Parking Blocker.jpg

Boat engines, generators, sleds, ATV's etc all get some stabil put in them and run before they get tucked away.

The old cars are running on a 33/66 mix of 100LL AV gas and Shell 93. I park'm and then top them with fresh gas in the Spring. Seems to work just fine, I have NEVER touched as much as an idle screw on the Birds 440 carb in the 34 years that I've owned it.

I only use ethanol free (except travelling to Carlisle).
I try and time it so it's kinda low just before I store it.
Go fill it, drive it and then park it.
Works well for me.

I do the same, run it down pretty low so I can top it off with fresh gas in the spring. The garage temperature is maintained through the winter so I don’t worry about condensation in the fuel tank. When I pulled the filler neck a few weeks ago I looked in the tank and it was spotless…

I've been using Sta-bil 360 for several year's now. During the summer I'll use 10% ethanol in the '62 and add this at every fill up. I'll use ethanol free for winter storage and still add the Sta-bil 360. It's designed to stabilize the ethanol fuels. You add it to fresh gas and they claim it will keep it fresh for a year. I believe it.

10057636_sbl_22264_pri_larg.jpg

10057636_sbl_22264_alt1_pri_larg.jpg

I put standard pump ethanol free in everything that sits right before winter hits. I used to use stabilizer too, but it's not needed in ethanol free gas if its just sitting for winter. The fuel itself is stable long enough. I also fire the cars up once or twice over winter and let them get up to operating temp, with maybe a quick trip around the block on a dry day.

On my cars outside, I'll fill them up to the tippy-top after adding some sta-bil. Oops... forgot to do that (sta-bil) a couple of years ago. Guess what ? No difference, car started like a charm. The real culprit is condensation in the tank.

Sea foam here in MD. Go to the gas station, add sea foam, fill the tank. Drive home and park it. Battery tender (NoCo smart charger) on everything as well.

This is cars, motorcycles, mowers, snowblowers, chainsaws...anything "seasonal".

My snowblower fired up on the first pull last week. First start since March.

Auto Transport Service
Back