• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/2 Horsepower Centrifical Pump Leak (a little spray)

Dibbons

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
I ran the pressure pump (that pumps irrigation water from an underground cistern to the plants in the yard) dry for the second time the other day. The first time, no ill effect. This time, a small little spray of water coming off the shaft. Must be the seal. Is this something a do-it-yourself guy can repair at home? It must be either 1/2 or 1/3 horsepower. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 7.43.50 PM.png

Depends on the skills of the DIYer.. Unbolt the housing, it'll probably have calcium deposits so it'll take a little "persuasion" Then remove the impeller & key... Then the back plate which should give you access to the seal..

FWIW there aren't many things a person with reasonable mechanical skills can't fix... Just gotta be willing to jump in.. Whats the worst that could happen? It's already broken... The more ya fix the more you learn & become comfortable..

The difficult part may be removing the old seal. Get the new one & see what it may take to pull the old one.

Funny this should come up....I just replaced a pump set 2 days ago at work. The poor old pump housing was corroded bad from the salt air environment....seal leaking, seepage into motor, impeller had broken....way easier to unbolt the old and install new. Changed a hose clamp as well as the guys had been pulling on the hose too hard.

All the pipe fittings had corroded beyond easy removal.

:xscuseless:

20210708_134053.jpg
20210708_134057_001.jpg
20210708_134112.jpg
20210708_134124.jpg
20210708_160100.jpg

The long pink one. :thumbsup:

It used to be red.....but it is now sun bleached.

That pump might have a mechanical seal. Spring loaded, double porcelain with a collar.
It can be done, I rebuild mechanical seal pumps all the time at work. If it does have a mechanical seal, the replacement kit will have VERY good, specific directions.
Let us know how you make out.

Auto Transport Service
Back