• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1-2 Shift Spring Replacement

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
I can get to the 1-2 valve shift spring with the valve body in place, correct? I'm trying to determine how much time this will take me to swap in a spring for a higher shift point. Thanks!

Those 1-2 shift springs more or less restore the pressure to original, if a spring has softened over the years. Kind of matches the 1-2 shift rpm. to the 2-3 shift rpm. I don't think the spring replacement, by itself will give the results you expect. You could try turning the pressure adjust screw on the valve body 1 turn counter clockwise. You can do this without removing VB.
The best way to raise upshift speed is to install lighter governor weights. The tail shaft housing has to come off for this.

This is a auto valve body made by CRT. Pressures are already up. I can't use a 5800rpm governor with the VB per the instructions. 2-3 is pretty good. 1-2 needs work.

I took the VB out. Not hard. Still takes some time.

I tried A&A’s springs but they were too stiff. I then ordered several springs from Lee Springs. Ended up perfect.

I think I have the Lee Springs list if the springs you have don’t get what you need

Last edited:
I got it done today. 5 hours of my life I'll never get back lol. I used the white spring which was a good improvement over the stock spring. Putting it back together was fun. Park rod has a sweet spot to get it back in which took raising the rear end up. And I added 2 helicoils to the pan hole. They were buggered from a while ago but I never felt like messing with them until now.

No test drive, that'll wait until tomorrow. Too hot and messy to fool with now. Fired it up and it moves front and back lol Done.
20230805_154148.jpg
20230805_154156.jpg
20230805_154226.jpg
20230805_154231.jpg
20230805_173559.jpg
20230805_173605.jpg

What shift rpm are you trying to hit for 1-2? I target 2-300 rpm over the 2-3 shift

Just trying to get it closer to 5500 rpm if I can in Drive.

Auto Transport Service
Back