• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100% anti freeze or 50/50 mix ?

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
Is one more efficient at cooling than the other.

Also, thoughts on "Water Wetter" as additive?

Thanks for any input

50/50 is best, with purified water.

50/50 is common and suggest not running more unless in real cold climates. Doing research having some excess heating issues with my ride, found that higher mix of coolant can increase engine temps. I run around a 30-35% coolant mix among other things to lower the temp. Only drive mine during warmer months and sits in a heated garage. Can't say this was the trick, but got the desired results.

50/50 is the only way to go unless you're in Antarctica. Water Wetter I do use. Did it make a difference? I think it did but I've upgraded so many bits of the cooling system I can't say 100%.

I can buy 50/50 for $12.
Or I can buy full strength for $15 and 1 gallon of distilled water for $2.
Mix them and have 2 gallon of 50/50 for $8.50 per.
But then I have always been cheap.

I can buy 50/50 for $12.
Or I can buy full strength for $15 and 1 gallon of distilled water for $2.
Mix them and have 2 gallon of 50/50 for $8.50 per.
But then I have always been cheap.
You sir, are a man after my own heart! :thumbsup:

Antifreeze does not give up heat like water does.
The words you are referring to is called: SPECIFIC HEAT CHARACTERISTICS. It's the ability of the coolant to absorb (in the engine) heat and release it to the air stream (in the radiator). Higher concentrations of ethylene glycol and water REDUCE the specific heat characteristics, slowing the heat transfer. From yhe principles of thermodynamics.
BOB RENTON

What Bob said...
Straight water is a better "cooler" than antifreeze is, but there's the issue of resistance to freezing and/or boiling.
Antifreeze compliments water by lowering the freeze point and raising the boiling point of water; it also typically
has anti-corrosive components included in the product.
This is why the two need to be used together in the proper proportions.

What Bob said...
Straight water is a better "cooler" than antifreeze is, but there's the issue of resistance to freezing and/or boiling.
Antifreeze compliments water by lowering the freeze point and raising the boiling point of water; it also typically
has anti-corrosive components included in the product.
This is why the two need to be used together in the proper proportions.
Thank you.....but now the Evans Coolant boys will come out extoling the virtues of of their product, likewise the proponents of Dexcool (me) will argue about the corrosion inhibitor package is better than ethylene glycol......but one could probably use pureed bananas??.......
BOB RENTON

Thank you.....but now the Evans Coolant boys will come out extoling the virtues of of their product, likewise the proponents of Dexcool (me) will argue about the corrosion inhibitor package is better than ethylene glycol......but one could probably use pureed bananas??.......
BOB RENTON
There's a reason I limited my comments to only the two components (especially since those are the ones
specific to the OP's question, eh?), refraining from opening the debate to all the other ways to skin this cat....

I miss the days of all the antifreeze being the same. Seems like maybe that DexCool stuff from GM may have started this? But NOW, almost every manufacturer has their own specific stuff. And FORD really screws me up. We have an F150, and when doing a hose replacement, I found very strong recommendations about exactly what color Ford spec antifreeze had to be used. And Ford has changed it for different model years! And they ain't supposed to be mixed with each other... So NOW, I have one color for my F150, one color for the Boss Lady's Exploder, and then the plain old green for my beater Ranger, which is also what I run in all three of my Mopars. Sheesh!

With 100% antifreeze it will freeze solid well before a 50/50 mix. Here is the chart. About 60% antifreeze and 40% water is the most you will ever want. At really cold temps the mix will start to turn into a slush, straight antifreeze will freeze solid.
553EFD2C-A872-48E5-A2D5-5D72FB7751CD.jpeg

You should use only the reqd percentage of anti freeze for the lowest likely ambient temp in your area for max cooling efficiency. There are charts/info available to give the reqd ratio.

I know one thing...and this is on my 2012 Charger specifically:
First opportunity, I got the "HOAT" type coolant out of there (did it at a facility that has the
machine that thoroughly flushes systems) and replaced it with conventional coolant.
Way too many reports of issues with the "pink turns into orange" factory fill... including in
some of the Chrysler service docs at the time.

I will toss this in.... my old coronet has a 50/50 mix of napa store brand antifreeze and water.
It tests out at a -45 freeze point .
All winter she lives in indoor storage.
That indoor storage adds another few degrees of protection.

I didn't realize this question would generate the response it has and I appreciate all the input. Car is garaged all winter in middle TN so not really concerned about sever freezing.
Just wanting to keep it cool in the summer.
I appreciate all the info and have decided that I'll go with a 60/40 blend, 60% distilled water to 40% Anti-freeze.

All good info from you guys. You can't beat personal experience.

Thanks again.
Frank

Think you’ll be happy. After my motor rebuild, had ongoing hassles with higher engine temps despite ample break-in. Still had the stock radiator in good shape. The rebuild took out some iron from the block. There are varying opinions on radiators, electric fans, shrouds, and such. Switched to 7-blade fan, found an OEM shroud (option on my car) and a top-seal, also was an option my ride didn't have. Aftermarket shrouds can be tricky. And the seal was nice as I don’t have the bug-splatter under the hood. Idea of course, is directing as much air in the bay where it’s most needed.

Along the way did some research on coolants and oils finding some interesting info about their influence on engine temps. Was running a high visc racing oil, more than what my engine needed, finding the oil pressure was always crazy high. Dropped to a lower visc racing oil (for the hi-zinc). Reduced the coolant ratio and added wetter. Been informed from a fellow member some dishwashing products contain the stuff that acts the same way or contains the same as wetter does. Wetter is like a buck an ounce.

All this chit obtained the desired results. Maybe some treks didn't matter, but wanted to tag available bases to end the engine temp irritation.

Auto Transport Service
Back