• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100% anti freeze or 50/50 mix ?

From habit back in the garage way back when, I've been used to doing a 2-to-1 mix. 2 parts coolant & 1 part water.

Technically, if freezing is not an issue in your climate, and you don't mind flushing out your system routinely, 100% distilled water is the best for heat transfer. Ethylene glycol is much more viscous than water, decreases Reynolds number and turbulence, and is harder to pump through your system. Less turbulence = less heat transfer and less heat transer uniformity througout your block and radiator fins. However, antifreeze has anti-corrision additives that limit the rusting of your system for years. For maximum freezing point depression, like living in Alaska or Canada, a 55% EG/45% H2O mixture is best. Ethylene glycol interfers with the hydrogen bonding of water which affects the boiling point of water. I think companies talk about a 50/50 mix because that's easy and covers everyone and your don't have to be a chemist to figure anything out.

For indepth reading of antifreeze, here is a good chemical engineering study:
https://www.nahrainuniv.edu.iq/sites/default/files/Thesis_41.pdf

The cooling system is designed to flow water and antifreeze
If 100% antifreeze makes it to the seal on water pump it can damage it so always mix some water when adding to an empty system
If you do a compete flush and clean you can change to any antifreeze you wish to use

The cooling system is designed to flow water and antifreeze
If 100% antifreeze makes it to the seal on water pump it can damage it so always mix some water when adding to an empty system
If you do a compete flush and clean you can change to any antifreeze you wish to use
Not totally correct.....the water pump shaft seal is a simple unbalanced (hydraulically) cartridge seal, in a carbon vs ceramic arrangement. The coolant, albeit a combination of water and ethylene glycol in you're favorite ratio, provides the seal's face lubrication, between the stationary and rotating members. Temporarily operating the pump without sufficient coolant present can damage the seal....it must have coolant in order to survive.......just something to consider......
BOB RENTON

Is one more efficient at cooling than the other.

Also, thoughts on "Water Wetter" as additive?

Thanks for any input
My experience is that shrouds are very important. Original fans seem to work the best. Haven't had much luck with electric fans in severe overheating problems. I tried water wetter. It might help if you have a minor problem but I saw no positive results from it or any other of the snake oil magic fixes for severe problems. Seems like a good factory radiator and fan and all the shrouds that came with the car are the best answers. I know we are talking Mopar's here but I also dabble in old Ford flatheads and correct timing is critical with them :)

Not totally correct.....the water pump shaft seal is a simple unbalanced (hydraulically) cartridge seal, in a carbon vs ceramic arrangement. The coolant, albeit a combination of water and ethylene glycol in you're favorite ratio, provides the seal's face lubrication, between the stationary and rotating members. Temporarily operating the pump without sufficient coolant present can damage the seal....it must have coolant in order to survive.......just something to consider......
BOB RENTON
100% antifreeze is worse than dry as it will tear not just wear the seal surface

Mine is straight distilled water. And is getting a rusty look to it after 2 years'

So the plan is drain , flush and refill with 'some' antifreeze in it for the corrosion protection. Im thinking a gallon of the premixed stuff and then fill with distilled water.

Im in southern Az, so freeze warnings is not a concern for me

Most automotive dealerships are now using reverse osmosis water here in Australia as it's the purist water you can get which is mostly non corrosive as the RO system removes almost all minerals ,chemicals and impurities producing around 20 litres of pure water to 80 litres of waste depending on filters used which comes to show how contaminated some water really is even though it removes the good stuff which our body and plants need but of course not our iron and aluminum engines don't .

Auto Transport Service
Back