• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

12ga shot gun test......

inside my shop. Live within the city limits and can't shoot outside so.....is doubled 3/4" plywood enough to shoot #4 shot (not buck shot) into without penetration or should I triple it? Will be shooting from a distance of about 7 yards. Already have 2 bullet holes in my back overhead door from a 9 and a .357 and don't want anymore . The 9mm hole is from a buddy that rapid fired after I told him not to and the .357 is from mine that penetrated. I have a Remington 870 that I've never fired and it's past time and it doesn't look like I'm going out to the country any time soon....

Does'nt a neighbor have an old Chevy you can shoot

be ready for sure.some of those bbs are gonna fly around that garage if you shoot into plywood.bullet trap is much better.cheep to pick up sand at the hardware store.

For a pistol or rifle we have used a 5 gallon metal bucket with a piece of plywood over the top and set on its side to shoot into. Over time it will leak out sand if you do not clean up afterwards. The old magazine idea would be cleaner behind the plywood or something inbetween?

Probably overly **** BUT here goes
a ballistic steel plate set at the proper anlge, behind at the end of the range it would be best,
either &/or downward from the ceiling, @ like a 70* angle, 1/4" min
7/16" if your ever planning on ever using any projectile that travels over 2500-3000ft per/sec
for the proper ballistic deflection, down into a sand trap
the projectiles will follow the angle of the plate for most part,
it really needs to be a really flat/shallow angle so it wont deflect/ricochet right back at you...

Plywood isn't sufficient at those distances, that will wear out pretty fast too,
become unsafe IMHO

the other "better" more extensive option,
especially if you want to shoot higher caliber weapons,
would be to put an actual circular trap on the top of a plate going from ground to ceiling,
with steel deflection plates on the ceiling & walls down range too, going downward @ like a 70* angle also,

{we lined them with acoustic drop ceiling panels, it helped for sound deadening also
& helped to stop the occasional stay Bee-bee or shredded jacketing or bullet fragments from spraying all over}

Best traps are the circular type, it traps the bullet in the circular trap, slows it down
& than drops/falls back down the plate, into a catch troff @ the bottom for lead collection...

That's how I built them for Target Masters & Sharpe Shooters,
a couple of Indoor pistol & rifle Ranges
in Milpitas Ca. & Anchorage Alaska some years ago now

here's a couple of examples of ballistic "bullet" traps, plates etc.
some are rubber filled even, I got them off Google,
you could design something similar & cheaper, that could be relatively save

Attachments

• Bullet trap ceiling & steel plates.jpg
    Bullet trap ceiling & steel plates.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Bullet trap ceiling.png
    Bullet trap ceiling.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Bullet trap circular top trap.jpg
    Bullet trap circular top trap.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Bullet trap Rubber.jpg
    Bullet trap Rubber.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Bullet trap.jpg
    Bullet trap.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 234
be ready for sure.some of those bbs are gonna fly around that garage if you shoot into plywood.bullet trap is much better.cheep to pick up sand at the hardware store.
I've shot into plywood before at close range but it was much thicker and out doors and don't recall any bounce back....

At the very least, put a picture of Odumba on it first for me.

I have a friend that hunt's deer with me. The first time he come he had a 12 guage and was shooting #4 bird shot . I laughed at him until I saw the first deer he shot. Way more damage than I thought possible with bird shot.

I'm guessing but I think 1 1/2 inch of plywood would catch it. fill a gallon jug with water and put it behind the wood to save the door just in case. OR put the jug in front of the wood and have some fun!
Be sure to report back.

When I was about 8 I had a BB gun. Found some shotgun shells SO held the BB gun straight up with a shell on top and fired the BB into the back of the shell like a firing pin. Rang my Chimes pretty good!! I say "what did you say?" a lot now.

I have a friend that hunt's deer with me. The first time he come he had a 12 guage and was shooting #4 bird shot . I laughed at him until I saw the first deer he shot. Way more damage than I thought possible with bird shot.
What was the range he fire at the deer? Sure it was bird shot and not buck shot?

I'm guessing but I think 1 1/2 inch of plywood would catch it. fill a gallon jug with water and put it behind the wood to save the door just in case. OR put the jug in front of the wood and have some fun!
Be sure to report back.

When I was about 8 I had a BB gun. Found some shotgun shells SO held the BB gun straight up with a shell on top and fired the BB into the back of the shell like a firing pin. Rang my Chimes pretty good!! I say "what did you say?" a lot now.
Use to tape a BB on the primer and tape on some wings on the plastic end and throw them like a dart. :D Also, will be shooting inside of a building and don't want any water going all over......that is whenever I get time. Probably after Christmas....and on New Years Eve when I set off all the other 'fireworks' lol

What was the range he fire at the deer? Sure it was bird shot and not buck shot?

Use to tape a BB on the primer and tape on some wings on the plastic end and throw them like a dart. :D Also, will be shooting inside of a building and don't want any water going all over......that is whenever I get time. Probably after Christmas....and on New Years Eve when I set off all the other 'fireworks' lol

Yes it was bird shot at about 10 yards. Like I said I was surprised.

Yes it was bird shot at about 10 yards. Like I said I was surprised.
Yup, bird shot would/should still have a fairly tight group at that distance and would most likely blow a bird to pieces lol

Prop the plywood up against a bale of shavings. They weigh about 45 lbs. and are at your local feed store.
horsey_bale_1.JPG

I live out in the boon docks , not sure about bird shot and plywood ,, but I kn8w about rock salt ,, neighbors dog was getting in trash,, now let me say this im a dog person , like dogs bett er than most folks,,,, but I was picking up trash about every other day,,, we had some salt left over from making icecream,,, I took a 12 gage sheel took out all the pellets , and loaded rock salt ,,, iv alway head rock salt would sting ,burn,, thats about it,,, boy was I wrong ,, the dog was about 10 or 15 yards away, when shot,,, it killed him grave yard dead , he didnt take another step,,,,, man I felt bad ,,

I live out in the boon docks , not sure about bird shot and plywood ,, but I kn8w about rock salt ,, neighbors dog was getting in trash,, now let me say this im a dog person , like dogs bett er than most folks,,,, but I was picking up trash about every other day,,, we had some salt left over from making icecream,,, I took a 12 gage sheel took out all the pellets , and loaded rock salt ,,, iv alway head rock salt would sting ,burn,, thats about it,,, boy was I wrong ,, the dog was about 10 or 15 yards away, when shot,,, it killed him grave yard dead , he didnt take another step,,,,, man I felt bad ,,
That was kinda close range too. Also, the rock salt needs to be pretty fine (I heard) or you will do a lot of damage and depending on what choke is in the bore, the pattern can be very tight even at longer yardage. I'm fairly new to shotguns and have been trying to read up on them. Here's one of the links I've looked up on chokes.
http://www.briley.com/understandingshotgunchokesabriefexplanationbybriley.aspx

use a 1/2 " sheet of steel and a good pair of safety glasses and you'll wont ever shoot another hole in your door. Hold my beer and watch this.

I'm not discharging a firearm of any kind inside of my garage. Too many things to go wrong!
Join a gun club with a proper shooting range or go as a guest with someone who is a member of one. PLAY IT SAFE!

Why? Why would he do that? Does your friend torture cats too?

I use a .270 Winchester when I hunt. Much more humane and certainly less disrespectful...imho.

Auto Transport Service
Back