• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Dodge Polara

Robert Kay

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
So I bought this 440 trim 63 Polara that has a 318 poly/auto which looks to be well taken care of. It has 104,000 miles. The guy I bought it from has a racing history and had several pictures in his garage of his past race cars, mostly GM. He had bought the car a few years ago intending to pull the poly for an LS-1 but decided he “didn’t want to make the mopar guys mad” so he sold it to me. The engine is 90% ready to pull and I plan on reassembling it and driving it while my father and I build a 440/4speed to transplant in the future. Im not able to find much info on making the switch, so I plan on documenting it here. Maybe it will help someone in the future.

8543A7CD-F463-4787-932A-BB47B0474D1B.jpeg

First order of business was to pull the interior. The front 60/40 bench is a little rough and its that sky blue color inside. I may change it ‍
The floors were replaced by the po (he’s a welder) and he did a fantastic job.

156A4222-FE68-4BF3-8356-66819310D6AD.jpeg

Last edited:
The trunk also looks new. I wire-wheeled the surface rust, primered, and coated it with truck bedliner. My daughter got in there and helped spraying satin black on everything else.

00C19C74-EC5A-4468-BB2A-A556DE6D3B27.jpeg

I got this wiring harness from Kwik wire. Looks like a nice kit and it cost $350. Its a generic kit, by no means for restoration, but allows for expanding for modern engine wiring needs if I chose to go that way someday. Dad put one in his 68 Nova and said it was easy to install and they have great support.
This project is probably going to take a while, I will update when I can.

55E618AD-B635-44EF-B5CD-707307D46F62.jpeg

Last edited:
Found out something interesting about the car. The owner before the one I bought it from is originally from Detroit, and the son of a Golden Commando. He owns a speed shop in Portland, Maine.

Nice,nice,nice & with history.
Great find

Dash is out. Looks like there was a water leak in the drivers windshield corner. Mostly surface rust with a tiny bit of rot that is hidden by the dash. More sanding and priming before I “fat mat“ everything. Got a replacement wiper motor and linkage coming.

7682E96C-C191-4935-8EF0-EC287EFE948E.jpeg

Dash is out. Looks like there was a water leak in the drivers windshield corner. Mostly surface rust with a tiny bit of rot that is hidden by the dash. More sanding and priming before I “fat mat“ everything. Got a replacement wiper motor and linkage coming.

View attachment 963577
hey Robert - recently joined the site, doing some research...where did you find the new wiper motor? I'm looking for one for a 63 Polara 500 I recently picked up, thanks bro! Dan

View attachment 963577
Take a better look at that windshield water leak. These cars are famous for upper or lower cowl panel rot due to poor water drainage. Nice score on the car, though.

I'm building a 63 Polara too. But mines not so nice. I'g gonna follow along.

Auto Transport Service
Back