• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Sport Fury Driveshaft questions

Read the two links here when I freshened mine up and replaced the boot.

I found this company and they were perfect.

Roberts Motor PartsAntique Dodge Truck Parts Antique Plymouth Parts Antique Dodge Parts Welcome!

Here's a how too if you need it.

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence

P.S. i THINK this is the place that has the good boots and it's $28... so if you only need that... good deal
[/URL]

That's who I got mine from. Great to deal with.

Read the two links here when I freshened mine up and replaced the boot.

I found this company and they were perfect.

Roberts Motor PartsAntique Dodge Truck Parts Antique Plymouth Parts Antique Dodge Parts Welcome!

Here's a how too if you need it.

That's who I got mine from. Great to deal with.

Thanks much, i'm a few months away from doing mine still but good to have nfo :)

You can take apart the trans and replace the output shaft/housing with a slip yoke type... I need to do this myself, just waiting to find a cheap *** 727 laying around
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i think you are limited to a '65 only trans for that swap???? But now I cant remember why off the top of my head??? Rear pump problem?? Spline angles at front of tailshaft?? 66+ Tailstock won't bolt up?? It's hell getting old?? I know there are big changes in certain years.... '65 is different in the rear, but most similar to other early T/Flites, '66 is big radical changes up front (no more rear pump), '71? bigger input shaft (and spline).... the list goes on....cant just grab a trans and go.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i think you are limited to a '65 only trans for that swap???? But now I cant remember why off the top of my head??? Rear pump problem?? Spline angles at front of tailshaft?? 66+ Tailstock won't bolt up?? It's hell getting old?? I know there are big changes in certain years.... '65 is different in the rear, but most similar to other early T/Flites, '66 is big radical changes up front (no more rear pump), '71? bigger input shaft (and spline).... the list goes on....cant just grab a trans and go.A
Ahh. i was told the rear section was interchangable but i was wondering about the pump also.. i might have gotten bad info..

One of the downfalls of the early push button transmission is that torque converter selection is pretty limited because of the smaller input shaft. This input shaft was changed in 1967 to a larger o.d. piece with a different spline count. There is a huge variety of torque converters available in the aftermarket for this version of input shaft.

I would keep the original front Detroit Uni. They are actually safer than a conventional X type u joint. While the pin inside the DU can break, the shaft will not drop onto the road. If the front X type joint breaks, drive shaft can drop onto the road............and.........

I would keep the original front Detroit Uni. They are actually safer than a conventional X type u joint. While the pin inside the DU can break, the shaft will not drop onto the road. If the front X type joint breaks, drive shaft can drop onto the road............and.........
That's why drag racers need driveshaft loops. Cuts down on the "pole vaulting".

One of the downfalls of the early push button transmission is that torque converter selection is pretty limited because of the smaller input shaft. This input shaft was changed in 1967 to a larger o.d. piece with a different spline count. There is a huge variety of torque converters available in the aftermarket for this version of input shaft.

Yup.. 19 spline.. i'm trying to find a converter for mine right now.. or a blown up cheap 727 to steal the parts out of to convert it to 24 spline.. There is a 3000 RPM 19 spline for sale near me but it's by PHD converter which has bad reviews...

Yup.. 19 spline.. i'm trying to find a converter for mine right now.
A&A Transmission (Rick Allison) has (had?) listings for 19 spline units for many power levels..... If not stock, they can be made.... I'd talk to them first.

Auto Transport Service
Back