1964 push button shifter help! test drive, reverse stopped working, no start. car stuck down street!

1962 - 1965 Mopars

1. Evan Frucht

Evan Frucht Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:51 AM
    Yes actually. For the record and so that everyone knows, Joe suchy had those springs reproduced a couple years back and he's selling them for less than $20 shipped ($12 for spring and $7 to ship). They are brand new perfect reproductions which should last long. So no need to deal with eBay or anyone else on that one.

Got the shifter out and swapped it for an unbroken shifter. Cut out new rubber gasket to go between shifter and button housing with some 1/16 thick buna n sheet rubber I had leftover of (can be bought from McMaster Carr.) Wasn't thick enough so I used two stacked together. Remade the rubber isolators for the bolts that hold the shifter unit to that same button housing. Cut one flat end off of some grommets (into a mushroom shape) and that worked perfectly. Made a new button gasket out of some charcoal foam (originally thick felt) which helped firm up the buttons. Should of taken some pictures. After I put it all together I had a little trouble getting the new shifter mechanism adjusted, was getting a little binding at first with the park lever, but was able to figure that out after removing it a second time. Works good!.. (for now !).

Thanks for all the help!

• Like Like x 4
    • khryslerkid

khryslerkid FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      10:51 AM
      Good deal!

You have to wonder who came up with that mechanism. It's quite simple when you see how its made even though there's a number of different parts involved. It works flawlessly when it's in good shape.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fran Blacker

Fran Blacker FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Like to hear that a problem is fixed, sometimes it's fixed and no feedback. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Evan Frucht

Local Time:
          Well I thought I had adjusted the shifter, and it has been working without any problems for a month or so, but this morning my shifter seemed to be jammed. It wouldn't let me select anything but the park lever would move back and forth. It also wouldn't start because it wasn't fully in neutral, I tried pushing in neutral harder (which normally works) but not this time.

I can probabaly get it working once I get home but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight

• bobs63wagon

bobs63wagon FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          9:51 AM
          I don't know the part number but I think this is what you are looking for. 20190406_154007.jpg

• Evan Frucht

Local Time:
          I have a piece of foam in there with carefully cut out holes for the buttons, I think my problem lies elsewhere but I'll open it up when I get home and get a closer look to see what's binding.

• Edderds

Edderds New Member

Local Time:
          i have a similar problem with my 64 Belvedere, 318, pushbutton. Cold all pushbuttons work great. Drive the car for a while, the reverse button will not engage, all other buttons work fine. No broken springs or other obvious problems with the pushbutton module. The Cables are in adjustment. what the heck is going on?

• khryslerkid

khryslerkid FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          You'll have to do some close inspection on what's hanging up. Maybe try pushing the neutral button before the reverse button and see if that helps. They do get dirty and gummy if someone lubricated it at some point. They need to be clean and dry. Do not lube them. I did use some dry silicone spray on mine.

Double check the cable adjustment also. It might be set borderline from being just right and as the transmission warms up it goes out of adjustment.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Edderds

Edderds New Member

Local Time:
            Thanks will do.

• dvw

dvw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            I've seen the rooster comb ball and spring assy get jammed. Metal slivers in the detent bore were the culprit.
            Doug

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
            • 500Hardtop

500Hardtop Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              8:51 AM
              I did a search and found this thread. I am having issues with the push buttons. Park and nuetral work, but I can’t push reverse, or drive etc. and engage those gears? I’m going to reread the info and dig in. Thanks for the ideas

• maxwedgechar

maxwedgechar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              In 1990 Max got stuck in Drive. The original owner had it set up to start in gear! Yeah, I gotta be careful! So everybody said it was the buttons. I had driven buttons for years and never had a problem. I thought it was the cable. I found that a '62 Chrysler cable is the same part number. I got a cable at the junk yard, went under to replace the cable and when I took the neutral switch out to pop the cable out it went "click" and was back in place. Yeah, Rooster Comb was jammed!

• Jackpot50

Jackpot50 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              9:51 AM
              Could have been safety reverse plunger, that keep you from going to reverse if you have to much drive pressure stops rooster comb from moving. Sticks out botton of valve body.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
              By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.