• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 push button shifter help! test drive, reverse stopped working, no start. car stuck down street!

All above antics is so familiar for me! I have had 4 or 5 or 6 maybe PB cars over the decades. Never had any problem adjusting them per FSM till this 64 Bel. After cleaning the PB mechanism, adjusting the cables at the Trans how many times, IT finally work as should, except going into Park is on and off!
Like Mopar bud that has raced these for years, told me, there is a fine line between being adjusted and NOT adjusted correctly! Guess he is right. Guess I was always just lucky before. LOL
There are reasons I have always preferred stick cars!!!!!!

If it still rolls you need to adj the park cable on the rear of tail housing
X2. You just need a simple parking brake cable adjustment and also it might be a good idea to adjust the rear brakes if they are not auto-adjusters.

I forget exactly but there is a nut or threaded thing you tighten up (under the middle of the car, behind the transmission) to get rid of the slack. The parking brake will feel better also once adjusted correct, it will lock up and get tighter with less pedal travel.

OK I want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing here.
Is this what you're referring to?
IMG_0111.JPG

Thats the parking brake but it has nothing to do with the park lever, it's connected to the parking brake pedal... Park in the transmission is a lever that pushes a pawl into notches in the governor support...

This is the park mechanism...

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 11.05.59 PM.png

Info here..... https://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

Thats the parking brake but it has nothing to do with the park lever, it's connected to the parking brake pedal... Park in the transmission is a lever that pushes a pawl into notches in the governor support...

This is the park mechanism...

View attachment 1140278

Info here..... https://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html
To adjust the cable, you must loosen that 3/8 nut and drive locking pin back. To remove the cable, you must remove small plug with 3/16 Allen key, and reach up in there with a small screwdriver to unlock retaining spring. Then, pull cable out. Then, you can remove small housing to see if park shift mechanism has come apart. I have known cable receiver to come unhooked.

Ah yes I got confused from the other post. If the transmission doesn't go into park the cable is not seated properly or adjusted in that housing pictured above. Ignore that threaded thing and fork under the car, that is to adjust your emergency/park brake.

I tightened it up a but. The emergency brake pedal is definitely tighter and that's a good thing since I don't want the car rolling away...
So I need to disassemble the housing and check the cable end inside.
Looks like I know what I'm doing this coming weekend.

I couldn't find anything wrong with the cable on the transmission end of things and was trying to decide what my next step should be. I decided it wouldn't hurt to have a professional look at it, so I took it to AAMCO. They got it up in the air, pulled the pan and checked everything out. They said it was all good on that end. They followed it up to the controls and said the cable is broken right around the steering column.
So that explains why it won't work. Now I need to find a cable. I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask if anyone has a source for those.

Thanks for the info dmore. Going to pull the housing. After more discussion with some folks who know way more about these things than I do I think it's possible that the spring may be broken on the lever itself. At this point I'm still trying to figure out for sure what the issue is.

Thanks for the info dmore. Going to pull the housing. After more discussion with some folks who know way more about these things than I do I think it's possible that the spring may be broken on the lever itself. At this point I'm still trying to figure out for sure what the issue is.

Just joined this forum. Looks to be a wealth of information. My spring on the push button shifter has also broken. Thanks to you guys i now know the part number. If anyone can tell me the best way to access this to replace the part I would be very grateful. Im including a picture of my shifter. I have looked under the dash and see no way to remove the mechanism.

shifter 1.jpg

Just joined this forum. Looks to be a wealth of information. My spring on the push button shifter has also broken. Thanks to you guys i now know the part number. If anyone can tell me the best way to access this to replace the part I would be very grateful. Im including a picture of my shifter. I have looked under the dash and see no way to remove the mechanism.

View attachment 1172910
Anyone?

You will need to pull your instrument cluster out of dash. Then you will see the mounting of the push button assembly and the shift mechanism. From there you can lossen it and either remove or replace the spring. Removing would be easier. A service manual would help!

Thanks, for the replies. I just received my replacement spring today. Will start tearing it apart

Auto Transport Service
Back