1964 push button shifter help! test drive, reverse stopped working, no start. car stuck down street!

1962 - 1965 Mopars

1. barbee6043

barbee6043 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:21 AM
    All above antics is so familiar for me! I have had 4 or 5 or 6 maybe PB cars over the decades. Never had any problem adjusting them per FSM till this 64 Bel. After cleaning the PB mechanism, adjusting the cables at the Trans how many times, IT finally work as should, except going into Park is on and off!
    Like Mopar bud that has raced these for years, told me, there is a fine line between being adjusted and NOT adjusted correctly! Guess he is right. Guess I was always just lucky before. LOL
    There are reasons I have always preferred stick cars!!!!!!

2. Evan Frucht

Evan Frucht Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:21 AM
    X2. You just need a simple parking brake cable adjustment and also it might be a good idea to adjust the rear brakes if they are not auto-adjusters.

I forget exactly but there is a nut or threaded thing you tighten up (under the middle of the car, behind the transmission) to get rid of the slack. The parking brake will feel better also once adjusted correct, it will lock up and get tighter with less pedal travel.

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Thanks everyone. I plan to get under there this weekend and hopefully fix the issue.

4. OrthmannJ

Local Time:
    OK I want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing here.
    Is this what you're referring to?
    IMG_0111.JPG

5. Evan Frucht

Local Time:
    Yep

6. 1 Wild R/T

1 Wild R/T FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Thats the parking brake but it has nothing to do with the park lever, it's connected to the parking brake pedal... Park in the transmission is a lever that pushes a pawl into notches in the governor support...

This is the park mechanism...

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 11.05.59 PM.png

Info here..... https://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

7. Dave6T4

Dave6T4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:21 PM
    To adjust the cable, you must loosen that 3/8 nut and drive locking pin back. To remove the cable, you must remove small plug with 3/16 Allen key, and reach up in there with a small screwdriver to unlock retaining spring. Then, pull cable out. Then, you can remove small housing to see if park shift mechanism has come apart. I have known cable receiver to come unhooked.

8. Evan Frucht

Local Time:
    Ah yes I got confused from the other post. If the transmission doesn't go into park the cable is not seated properly or adjusted in that housing pictured above. Ignore that threaded thing and fork under the car, that is to adjust your emergency/park brake.

9. OrthmannJ

Local Time:
    I tightened it up a but. The emergency brake pedal is definitely tighter and that's a good thing since I don't want the car rolling away...
    So I need to disassemble the housing and check the cable end inside.
    Looks like I know what I'm doing this coming weekend.

10. OrthmannJ

Local Time:
    I couldn't find anything wrong with the cable on the transmission end of things and was trying to decide what my next step should be. I decided it wouldn't hurt to have a professional look at it, so I took it to AAMCO. They got it up in the air, pulled the pan and checked everything out. They said it was all good on that end. They followed it up to the controls and said the cable is broken right around the steering column.
    So that explains why it won't work. Now I need to find a cable. I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask if anyone has a source for those.

11. dmoore

dmoore Mopar to the end FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:21 AM
  12. OrthmannJ

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info dmore. Going to pull the housing. After more discussion with some folks who know way more about these things than I do I think it's possible that the spring may be broken on the lever itself. At this point I'm still trying to figure out for sure what the issue is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.