• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 413 Rocker Shaft Question

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before. Helping a friend with getting his '65 413 reassembled after recently getting it back from machine shop prison. He bought this engine about 20 years ago as a low mileage C Body core. I noticed this has the rocker arm shafts with separate pedestals, not heads with cast-in perches. How do the pedestals get removed from the shaft to replace the rocker arms? Just asking in case the owner wants new rockers. Thanks

Unbolt....they slide right off. May need to do some cleaning first.

Disassemble and reassemble in the same order. Pay attention to oil hole orientation. If there is scarring from rockers on the shaft, you'll need to file them level before sliding the pedestals off. Good luck.
20220904_101537.jpg

Last edited:
They don’t slide off that easy after 50+ years, either the aluminum stands or the shafts get out of shape and they are hard to get off.

So start by soaking & cleaning off any oil residue & buildup first, then Lubricate them to get them off. Don’t just start pounding them off, it won’t work well at all.

1965 shouldn’t have those type heads and rockers, they have been changed. They work fine. Just faster assembly with the cast in stands.

They don’t slide off that easy after 50+ years, either the aluminum stands or the shafts get out of shape and they are hard to get off.

So start by soaking & cleaning off any oil residue & buildup first, then Lubricate them to get them off. Don’t just start pounding them off, it won’t work well at all.

1965 shouldn’t have those type heads and rockers, they have been changed. They work fine. Just faster assembly with the cast in stands.
These are 2206324 heads. From what I found are 62-67 applications.

My '64 413 had cast-in shaft pedestals. I am guessing '62-'63.

And if the rockers are like the later models, they have an offset to them so they will center over the valve stem. A lot of people get them mixed up because they don't look at them closely.

Heat up the alum with a hair dryer or preferably a heat gun for easier removal.

As others have mentioned those heads are earlier than 65... Generally I agree with 68 Turbine RT but in this case I don't... Those heads were last used in 63....

As others have mentioned those heads are earlier than 65... Generally I agree with 68 Turbine RT but in this case I don't... Those heads were last used in 63....
Believe me, I thought it was odd myself to see the pedestals on a '65, but my friend and I have no clue of the past history of this particular engine. A413 with a 4/30 assembly date stampings. Since he already invested the money in the machining we'll just have to work with what he has, even if the heads were changed. Attached a pic of the head numbers.
image.jpg

Last of the four bolt valve covers. They are a closed chamber head but small valves compared to later years.

Last of the four bolt valve covers. They are a closed chamber head but small valves compared to later years.
This is getting really weird. The same guy that has the 413 also has a '64 880 wagon that he bought from the original owner around '86 with an untouched 361 2 bbl that has the 4 bolt covers.

This is getting really weird. The same guy that has the 413 also has a '64 880 wagon that he bought from the original owner around '86 with an untouched 361 2 bbl that has the 4 bolt covers.
Probably a real early car... Cause yeah, pedestals & four bolts go together...

Heat gun, did I stumble onto a craft forum?
I've used a heat gun on cars many times....mostly for removing undercoating but there's been a few other instances too.

heat gun is a must have......it'll even light your cigar :fool:

Sometimes the alum blocks are deformed from overzealous use of the torque wrench.....
This is when the heat gun is really useful.

A heat gun is a Must for a thousand different things from heat shrink to dropping in a bearing by heating two or three spots around the outside just like two shrink welds to take out a stick race.

As for the heads it depends on the application and the time it left the line I have Seen some 413s used in early 65 in Imperials and other big cars with the older pain in the *** setup. Depends on the engine build date and when it hits the line the 340 and 365 hp version are the most likely.

I am sure they are a pain like Ford FE rocker stands. The hold down bolts crunch them, and the hole goes out-of-round, which is why they are difficult to remove. Once I get them off, I hone them on my rod hone so that they will slide back onto the shaft easily.

ps..once you torque them down, they will "crunch down" again...

Auto Transport Service
Back