• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 field find

Glad to see you posting again!!!everything is looking really good!
Have a question, would you buy Softseal again or would you try someone elses product???
Thanks!

Thanx Mike. I have been abound with many projects, but this getting priority now.....sort of! The softseal door seals are great. They went on nicely and fit very well. They do suggest some adhesive near the ends to reduce the stress on the clips. Overall, great product in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Getting down to the finishing touches. I think I am going to try and get it in for inspection this week. I installed the interior panels yesterday. Thanks to member @elephantengine for those. I got them quite a while back and finally put them to use. Then I filled the cracks in the steering wheel. There was a few!

IMG_7105.JPG
IMG_7107.JPG
IMG_7108.JPG
IMG_7100.JPG
IMG_7101.JPG
IMG_7102.JPG
IMG_7103.JPG

I got the bug again. So I installed the door glass. Yes, I was avoiding that as it's kind of a pain in the ***. But it's done. I'm very happy with the Softseal product, but slightly disappointed in the Cat Whiskers. The whiskers in the back were great, but these fronts left a little to be desired. I feel they are mistakenly clipped because they have a folded / finished edge at the front where you don't see it and the clips do not line up very well anyway. I actually had to trim a piece off the front of the drivers outside seal. I got it, but not impressed. Oh well, that's a job done and gone! The tape on the door seal is to help hold things in place while the windshield adhesive takes a grip. The doors definitely close harder now!

I "should" have a windshield Tuesday....................

View attachment 643259 View attachment 643260 View attachment 643261 View attachment 643262 View attachment 643263 View attachment 643264 View attachment 643265 View attachment 643266 View attachment 643268
That's the thing with new rubber and cats whiskers. Replaced 'em all on my Coronet and I haven't been able to align the doors to my liking since. Maybe after the break in... Diggin' your car.

Thank you very much Sir. I agree the new rubber makes everything different. My windows even roll harder, that's probably a good thing though. The funny part is I got the pass door to close and line up very nicely. But the driver side is tougher. It is lined up perfectly but closes very hard. Maybe like you said, after time it will relax. I hope!

That's great to hear it's getting ready for inspection, won't be long now. Looks great:thumbsup:

It's been a while. I figured I would start going over stuff to prepare for my inspection once the weather warms up. I figured I would tackle my power steering first. I searched this site but didn't really come up with any info, so I zipped over to FABO and dug up a very informative thread, albeit too late, and learned a little about power steering. I assembled my Coronet steering a while ago, but never hooked up the power steering. I wasn’t at a point to deal with it. Anyway, last night I put the belt on. I learned immediately that you don’t want your arm though the steering wheel! Yes, I reached in through the window and fired it up. :) instant right turn to lock! Fortunately my column is floor shift or it could have shifted into gear when it spun me around! Besides other possibilities. Anyway, I could not get the valve body to move enough to center. Something is wrong. Done for the night. Then I removed the valve body. Wouldn’t you know it. I screwed up long ago putting two units into one. I had to switch bodies for the return line. I never knew anything about any of it! Yup, should have done some research. Anyway today I installed a replacement valve body, lever and spring. Pics below should explain it all! First pic is the carnage! Damaged lever, broken spring and broken tab from not having the lever lined up! Did I mention it’s a big block? Rather tight, but at least it’s a B-body! I got really lucky and centered it upon install too!!!

IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

Last edited:
Next was an electrical gremlin that appeared a while back. I didn't put it together right away. When I installed my console, I had to modify the harness for the lighting. I swore I had everything working correctly when I did it. Then one day I hooked up the battery and moved the Coronet and noticed the interior lights were on continuously. I just parked it until today. It took me a while, but eventually I traced the short down. When I did the vinyl roof and installed the outer moldings, I caught the driver side sail panel light wire! Who'da thunk? Just enough to cause it to ground out. Well, I wasn't taking the molding off again, which would involve the headliner, so I just made a new wire and strung it in. Works like a charm. Now I'm off to get some LED bulbs for everything.

My Charger was my first Mopar restoration and learned all about that valve body the same way you did, quite the surprise!

Ya, she's fast! I don't know if I'm going to like power steering though. It is SUPER easy to turn. I mean reeeeeeeeeeally easy! I'm kind of a feel for the road guy.

My uncle always' liked the way his 300s and Newport steered...one finger floating down the highway. I really like the manula of my road runner, I've never had one like it, I can palm it (no remarks.....:D) going around sharp turns.

Today I put led lights in the console and the sail panels. Then I made a jumper wire on the headlight switch to make the front park lights stay on with the headlights. Pre69 shut them down when the headlights were connected. I like it better with them on. Now I’m going to make some wiring to bring the 67 bumper lights to life.

258A97A3-0E02-4779-A7BC-47D3599FC6F3.jpeg
0C5B84CA-5879-4B30-8C81-3A443B726157.jpeg

Last edited:
Done deal. I was just going to make them market lights only. I changed my mind, they are signals as well. I used a boat trailer plug to make the connector. I cut the outside two prongs off and it matched up to the factory plug perfectly!

5BA43DCF-5CD4-48FA-A106-0343FEADE506.jpeg

4F22D565-E53E-4EA5-AD54-DF56B134E6A3.jpeg

4216B64C-EBCC-449D-A78C-4835C33D26B9.jpeg

9C957BCF-2FA6-4566-8E42-C99801D6EE58.jpeg

77D212A9-D8CC-4ED4-9051-A1A6F33F0408.jpeg

17277494-EDAA-4317-8A42-503DFB52CEC1.jpeg

D75626E9-1F16-4609-9A4B-58CECDD4E6F6.jpeg

FF326923-291B-44D3-AD1F-0FCF8320C3D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Look at that hood and then see the concept drawing on the thread about concept drawings! Cool!

Project has come a long way.

Nice.

Thanks folks. Unfortunately life got in the way and it has been at a stand still. I do however have it underway to receive a replacement HP 383. I have a 70 from a Charger that will be between the fenders hopefully before the end of summer so it can be driven.

Just read the entire thread. Glad to see a other one saved. Beautiful color. I really like it.

Auto Transport Service
Back