• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 field find

Yes, I'm not a purist and I wouldn't "restore" a run of the mill car. I think of it as revive or resurrect! I like the 67 crossbar grill over the plain 66, but I far prefer the 66 tail lights and trunk moldings. I could have cut the side louvers out of the quarters of the parts car too, but that just isn't worth the reward to me. On top of everything, my 66 front bumper is junk but the 67 is great! Use what ya got, build what you like.

Yes, I'm not a purist and I wouldn't "restore" a run of the mill car. I think of it as revive or resurrect! I like the 67 crossbar grill over the plain 66, but I far prefer the 66 tail lights and trunk moldings. I could have cut the side louvers out of the quarters of the parts car too, but that just isn't worth the reward to me. On top of everything, my 66 front bumper is junk but the 67 is great! Use what ya got, build what you like.

Good for you! You will have a good looking car when you get done. I also like the crossbar so my Deluxe is getting the 500 grille even though its a 2 door sedan.

Well I'm very happy with Rock Auto. Shipping was super fast. Of course I paid for it, but at least when it arrived there were no extra charges (brokerage fees)......yet. The only draw back is I'm still a week away from being home to actually see them and getting to work. I can't wait. This will completely change the car. :hello2:

IMG_3708.jpgIMG_9903.jpgIMG_9234.jpgIMG_0437.jpg

Last edited:
Those will definitely make a big difference when you get them on the car.

Ready for winter

Well now I definitely have my self set up for a winter's worth of work. I got off of work on Tuesday and took a 10 hour detour (5 each way) on the way home......out to Saskatchewan. By the time I made it home it was a 30 hour day, but well worth it. I had replied to an ad on Kijiji, but the fellow was unable to ship some of the stuff. Probably a good thing, Greyhound Smashsport would likely have ruined some parts. Anyway this fellow had collected parts for a 66 Coronet project that due to life he had decided to let go. I got there and we proceeded to visit for 3 hours while he kept going to his cupboards and remembering more and more stuff. Originally I had inquired about the door panels and headliner. Well by the end of it.......whoooh! I got a hell of a good deal from him and left with way more than I planned, however, I needed all of it! The headers are the only thing that wasn't a "need", but you know how that is! He even gave me a 1966 Coronet dealer parts book. The descriptions and detail in it is awesome! Then I stopped in Calgary and picked up a set of torsion bars from another great guy. He had updated to larger and I was unable to remove one of mine from a LCA. It looks like it twisted inside. Anyway, here is the latest. It cost me a windshield for my truck (took a 1" rock on the way), about $200 in fuel, $1200 for the main group and $80 for the bars.
I think I have identified the headers, the only marking I can find is the numbers 605 034. They are 1 3/4" ceramic coated with 3" collectors. They were purchased in 2006, so numbers may have changed. But I believe they are Dynomax / Blackjack from Walker Exhaust systems.
IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1380.jpg
IMG_1375.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1378.jpg
IMG_1381.jpg

Last edited:
All the parts, the travel, good talk with another member makes for a real memoral trip.

You are right. I am a little young to have driven these cars back then. We talked about the old days and all the cars he used to have. All B-bodies! He had some nice ones. The last was a 69 Road Runner. 383, 4spd. Blue with white vinyl top and blue bucket interior. He had a pic of that one, man it looked good. I agree this trip was priceless.

Well I am home for two weeks now. I wont accomplish much this weekend because it is Thanksgiving and family dinners prevail! I did pull the rear bumper and tail light housing this morning though. That was so I could fit these up and see what I'm in for. I hope to have both sides done before I go back to work. This will depend on how bad the inner wheel wells are. I also have the trunk extensions, but they look like they could just have the lower halves replaced. I'll see once I get it opened up. I am happy that the wheel arch patch goes up high. It will be a lot easier to repair the upper quarter area now. Here are the before and similar to after shots!

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

what gauges did you get and where did you get those really nice door panels?!

It looks like you have plenty to work on

Ha ha, ya I have damn near everything now. Just a few things left to find. I believe the door panels are Legendary 1969 Road Runner. They are new in the box, as is most of it. The gauges are Dolphin, I was thinking of putting them in my Scamp. We'll see, my son may claim them for his project!

You just keep steppin' in %^$#!! Nice score and nicer score on top of the nice score.:laughing11:
What's great about a slanty is you can make anything you want out of it.My car started as a slanty with 3 on the tree.:blob1:

Well just before the weekend, and going to build a deck for the inlaws, I was trying to remove the fuel filler pipe to prepare for upcoming rust repair. I was fighting with the vent hose so I decided to cut it out. I was in a position near the new lower quarter patch panel that was clamped temporarily in place. I said to myself, " Self, if you slip, you could wound yourself." I replied to myself, " It will be alright, I won't slip." I was WRONG! I slipped and slid my wrist along the panel. This was the result, 5 stitches. I can only say "Listen to your gut feeling!" Funny part is, it didn't hurt at all, not even a little bit.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg Lesson learned!

Anyway, this morning I cut out the drivers side to expose the inner rust. I made several measurements prior to cutting. I made a few marks on the car and measured to specific spots to ensure I get the wheel arch in properly. I even measured the angle at which the wheel well is sloped at, it is at 2 degrees. I will be replacing this trunk extension complete. They could be easily patched up but since it has rust at both the front and back attaching points I think it will be easier just to do the whole piece.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't have any steel to repair any rust today, so I started playing with the panels I got. They are quite nice, but the lines are very soft. The lines from Ma Mopar are as sharp as a knife. I won't get them that far, but with about an hour of hammer and dolly work I got the first arch looking pretty good. I will have to work on the body lines as well. Still a ways to go, but motivating.

From the stamp, pretty round edges.
IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

After the hammer and dolly, not bad.
IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

now when ever you have your hand on the shifter and see that scar, you'll remember when.

do still hear voices in your head ............next time listen to them, I do now had something similar happen

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube_share;vua9vUhH6_E]http://youtu.be/vua9vUhH6_E[/video]

Your pretty good with that hammer and dolly! With all the parts you have this should be a great build for you.. Real nice door panels there!

I did a little patch work last night and this morning. I cut out the damage on the quarter and some of the rust on the inner fender. I bent up a piece and patched a section of the inner. The quarter is just a piece out of a spare hood that is damaged and now a donator.

View attachment 146498

IMG_1408_1.jpg

IMG_1411_1.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back