• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 field find

your hitting hard looking good and gaining some ground thanks for the updates :headbang:

Well now I definitely have my self set up for a winter's worth of work. I got off of work on Tuesday and took a 10 hour detour (5 each way) on the way home......out to Saskatchewan. By the time I made it home it was a 30 hour day, but well worth it. I had replied to an ad on Kijiji, but the fellow was unable to ship some of the stuff. Probably a good thing, Greyhound Smashsport would likely have ruined some parts. Anyway this fellow had collected parts for a 66 Coronet project that due to life he had decided to let go. I got there and we proceeded to visit for 3 hours while he kept going to his cupboards and remembering more and more stuff. Originally I had inquired about the door panels and headliner. Well by the end of it.......whoooh! I got a hell of a good deal from him and left with way more than I planned, however, I needed all of it! The headers are the only thing that wasn't a "need", but you know how that is! He even gave me a 1966 Coronet dealer parts book. The descriptions and detail in it is awesome! Then I stopped in Calgary and picked up a set of torsion bars from another great guy. He had updated to larger and I was unable to remove one of mine from a LCA. It looks like it twisted inside. Anyway, here is the latest. It cost me a windshield for my truck (took a 1" rock on the way), about $200 in fuel, $1200 for the main group and $80 for the bars.
I think I have identified the headers, the only marking I can find is the numbers 605 034. They are 1 3/4" ceramic coated with 3" collectors. They were purchased in 2006, so numbers may have changed. But I believe they are Dynomax / Blackjack from Walker Exhaust systems.
View attachment 145196
View attachment 145197
View attachment 145198
View attachment 145199
View attachment 145200
View attachment 145201
View attachment 145202
I,d kill for those door panels.

Thanx guys. Ya I'm really happy with the door panels. I think they are 69 or 70 Road Runner. Same with the back seat cover. So I'll have 66 buckets mixed into that! Oh well, it'll be alright. I'm sure it will drive the same!
I'm doing more patching in the wheelwell. I didn't use the whole trunk extension. They are quite a ways off on sizing. It was easier to cut it and fit it onto the original. They are about 1/4" too wide and 1/4" to 1/2" too tall. It hung too low, so I just matched it up the best I could. Again the edges of these are very soft and take some work to shape and fit in.

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

The front of the wheel house is patched up. I think this is it. I'm gonna double check everything, but I think I'm ready to try the outer quarter and rear rocker patches.

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

I decided to play with something different today. This is a '70 383 I picked up. The guy I got it from built a 440. He said the fellow he got this engine from told him it was rebuilt. I can see the cam through the dist hole, it's not purple but I did see a yellowish paint dob on it, so I think it is just a stock rebuild. Supposedly has somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 miles on it. It came with a 650 Edelbrock and a DP4B manifold. I have ordered an electronic distributor and coil for it. This is a long way off, but I just wanted to see it so I dug it out of the corner.

IMG_0217.jpg

That motor will look great sitting in between your fenders. Paint it whatever color you want and drop it in when you're ready. Your patchwork on the wheelhouse looks great also.

Sounds like a good engine, after some paint on it and your engine bay this will look good sitting in there! Love those valve covers, they really dress a engine up good..

nice work, i can say ive been there before! Takes time, but its well worth it.
coronet1.JPG coronet2.JPGcoronet3.JPGcoronet4.JPGcoronet5.JPG

I did both sides on mine, your car reminds me of where I was about 6 months ago. Looks great, keep the pics coming!

Thanx for the nice comments and motivation guys. I have to take a two week break now and go back to the "the other work"! But when I get back I will be on the attack again. Thanx for the pics, that is good inspiration! Looks like the patch panels can turn out OK, those look great.

I'm back home. On my way back I came across a set of fenders. They aren't perfect, but waaayyy better than mine. One has a small rust spot at the lower back, and the other has no rust. I got a fuel tank as well, not rusted or dirty inside, and a box of misc. bolts, screws, alt brackets, throttle spring mount, gauge cluster and glove box door. He also gave me a horn ring for my 2 spoke wheel, it makes the wheel look like crap! Now I will have to try to restore that too. I don't know how I keep coming across these deals, but I only paid $400 for everything. I think it was an awesome deal and I'm extremely happy I don't have to repair my old fenders.

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Last edited:
Good score and saved any kind of shipping costs, pretty good deal with it all!

Gdrill, good find and looks like a solid project. What kind of shape was the motor in? Also what do you call the things the car is sitting on in your garage?

Thanx Ron. I will get a better pic tomorrow when it is dry, to show the color, and the MP rocker covers are on. It should look great then.

- - - Updated - - -

Gdrill, good find and looks like a solid project. What kind of shape was the motor in? Also what do you call the things the car is sitting on in your garage?

Thanx Bumperman. The engine supposedly is a 20,000 mile rebuild. I am going to try to determine the cam tomorrow when the intake is off again. What things are you referring too? The jack stands, or the rims that are just sitting under the edge? Those are 10" Honeycomb mags straight out of the 70's!

Auto Transport Service
Back