• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 road worthy build

jteck10

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me 1966 Coronet in a 440 trim package. Found out its an original Florida car that made its way to Texas, and now to me in California. Originally a 383 motor, she now sits with a 440 and 4bbl and original Torqueflite transmission. The previous owner put 20" rims on her (growing on me, but i may swap to rally's), and a wild ostrich red leather interior. Bought her yesterday and she made an almost 100 mile drive (sometimes in bumper to bumper traffic) no problem. Down the rabbit hole we go

IMG_7364.jpgIMG_7370.jpgIMG_7372.jpgIMG_7363.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up a new to me 1966 Coronet in a 440 trim package. Found out its an original Florida car that made its way to Texas, and now to me in California. Originally a 383 motor, she now sits with a 440 and 4bbl and original Torqueflite transmission. The previous owner put 20" rims on her (growing on me, but i may swap to rally's), and a wild ostrich red leather interior. Bought her yesterday and she made an almost 100 mile drive (sometimes in bumper to bumper traffic) now problem. Down the rabbit hole we go

View attachment 1537760View attachment 1537761View attachment 1537762View attachment 1537759
Nice Coronet. The 20 inch wheels look odd, but it is your car, have fun with it.

That is a pretty old girl congratulations. I like the rims and tires. There are Rally's everywhere! If you go back to Rally's you might as well put the 383 back in her too! LOL That's the wonderful thing about the world of Mopar. It doesn't have to be an R/T to be a mean looking machine it's just in our creed.

That is a pretty old girl congratulations. I like the rims and tires. There are Rally's everywhere! If you go back to Rally's you might as well put the 383 back in her too! LOL That's the wonderful thing about the world of Mopar. It doesn't have to be an R/T to be a mean looking machine it's just in our creed.
Nothing wrong with 383's. LOL

Nothing wrong with 383's. LOL
I had a friend that had a beautiful R/T Charger. Black lacquer with a red wrap around stripe. All painted over with ultra high gloss clear urethane to top it all off. It was such deep finish it looked like you could jump into it. Automatic Dana 60 and a 383. It was next to impossible to get the next drink of your beer without wearing it on your shirt. There is certainly nothing wrong with a 383 Gus...true story

Just picked up a new to me 1966 Coronet in a 440 trim package. Found out its an original Florida car that made its way to Texas, and now to me in California. Originally a 383 motor, she now sits with a 440 and 4bbl and original Torqueflite transmission. The previous owner put 20" rims on her (growing on me, but i may swap to rally's), and a wild ostrich red leather interior. Bought her yesterday and she made an almost 100 mile drive (sometimes in bumper to bumper traffic) now problem. Down the rabbit hole we go

View attachment 1537760View attachment 1537761View attachment 1537762View attachment 1537759

I am building a repository of 1966 WH23G6 Coronet 440 383 cars, for the possibility of a future online registry.

I have 13 of the 1679 built.

If you'd like for yours to be included, please post the VIN and fender tag, or PM me.

Thanks- YY1 (fellow owner of a 1966 WH23G6)

Nice project to start with. Welcome from south of you on the central coast.

She's a beaut! I love magnum 500's with redline tires. Cragars look pretty damn good too imho. Can't say i hate the wheels that are on it now either though. Kind of big but cool at the same time. Restomod style.

1966-dodge-coronet-500.jpg

She's a beaut! I love magnum 500's with redline tires. Cragars look pretty damn good too imho. Can't say i hate the wheels that are on it now either though. Kind of big but cool at the same time. Restomod style.

View attachment 1537845
yea! cragars are originally what i wanted to go with i have a buddy that is putting restomod style wheels on his '67 belvedere so hes going to give me his rallys. otherwise i would definitely go the cragar route

the wheels on it now are ok. not the best but not the worst. they arent full chrome which is nice, more of a brushed or matte finish on the mags in the center

we'll see what happens

I had a friend that had a beautiful R/T Charger. Black lacquer with a red wrap around stripe. All painted over with ultra high gloss clear urethane to top it all off. It was such deep finish it looked like you could jump into it. Automatic Dana 60 and a 383. It was next to impossible to get the next drink of your beer without wearing it on your shirt. There is certainly nothing wrong with a 383 Gus...true story
True, but it's always about 440's, until a 440 car comes across a brutal 340

Nothing crazy, it was able to help identify where my 440 motor came out of with the help of this forum. Got around to installing a new antenna (the one that came with the car was broken), tightening up a few things that shouldn’t be loose, and added some fluids where they needed to be until I have time to change em all.

IMG_7460.jpeg

71918096600__B93A3E21-8ADB-4AB9-AB0F-49AB1DAB1F30.jpeg

it seems more and more apparent to me that the previous owner didnt want to work on this ol' girl, rather drive it and put it away wet
got a new air cleaner, man does it look better than the old one - wonder how long its been in there
makes the engine look way better

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7469.jpg

its always the little things that make such a difference.
my entire original dash and glove box door was covered by a nasty fake adhesive meant to mimic a woodgrain. it was wavy and bubbly and coming off in certain areas.
it was also a pain to remove and the previous owner left a heavy amount of wood glue and black adhesive on the back.
i was able to get a new glove box door thanks to a member on the forum here and swap it
now time to hunt for a complete dash bezel with working gauges

IMG_7551.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

Is that "ostrich skin" covering that console?

That's a bit too "wacka-chicka" for that car, isn't it?

Is that "ostrich skin" covering that console?

That's a bit too "wacka-chicka" for that car, isn't it?
haha yea it is.
its originally from florida before making its way to texas before i got it.
dont worry, its on the 'to-do' list to eventually change back to stock
it also has a funky custom center console with cup holders that i want to change back to stock as well

Finally got around to spending some time with the ol' girl. Was able to finish the swap of the old nasty dash to a new one with an updated stereo. looks pretty good! now just have to get some new speakers to help it sound good. Ran into a bit of an issue with the ammeter wiring, but once again these forums came through and helped me solve it!

IMG_7996.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg

IMG_8011.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

IMG_8017.jpg

Updated the dash a bit more, fit LED lights behind the gauges, tach, and oil temp gauge. Not as much of an eyesore now that the dash is finally done

IMG_8076.jpeg

surprisingly good picture my phone took the other. day. slowly gathering parts for removal of dual electric fans to put a 7 blade fan back in and removal of the usual distributor to a new MSD system

IMG_8103 (1).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back