• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet Post - MAXIMVS III

In the shop for work, see progress pics...

snook

DSC_7960.jpg DSC_7961.jpg DSC_7962.jpg DSC_7963.jpg DSC_7964.jpg DSC_7965.jpg DSC_7966.jpg DSC_7967.jpg DSC_7968.jpg

Ordered a 383 based 432 CID stroker kit a few days ago and it's on the way. I'll be started putting the short block together here next week. I just need to pick a cam kit and I'll be rolling.

snook

Decided to go with a hydraulic roller. Block is being bored 0.030" over and should be ready next week sometime.

snook

This is where the decision to go with a west coast desert body starts to payoff. The sheet metal that wasn't hosed up by goober is in nice relatively rust free shape. It goes on the rotisserie next week and I'll get some pics of that.

snook

Just re-read this post.

Didn't remember the 72/73 A body scoop/

I happen to think the lines go very well with the car despite being almost a decade newer.

It's also a very functionally sound scoop design.

I've had one sitting on the spare hood form my 66 for some time.

That scoop is not going back on the car, I gave it away to a local. I got a Sled City WO S/S scoop and that will take its place. I'm looking for pics of the underhood bracing that was cut out if anyone has any. Also need to know if anyone is reproducing the sheet metal hood/carb plate that goes up under the hood.

snook

Got the other trim piece in today - looks new! I paid dearly for that one though but it's worth it.

snook

The guy at the body shop is ripping and tearing. He's already replaced the 22" hacked core support core support with a new 26" unit, removed the hacked up inner fenders and replaced with new inner fenders and removed the hacked up firewall and replaced it with with a new firewall. The floor is being cut out (3 layers!) and will be replaced with a new front and rear floors. I've uploaded pics of the progress, see below. They are doing a great job. Even better news - NO RUST.

snook

DSC_8115.jpg DSC_8117.jpg DSC_8118.jpg DSC_8119.jpg DSC_8120.jpg DSC_8121.jpg DSC_8122.jpg DSC_8125.jpg DSC_8126.jpg

Well, I think I know what the car was. It was a police car. See the mounting for the dual whip antennas in the pics.

snook

20200326_121734.jpg 20200326_121753.jpg

Moving right along, did you paint it WW1 Spinnaker white?

Thanks! Car is in primer now, getting close to final paint time. While I'm waiting for that, I'm putting the front suspension together.I was having a hard time finding a good used power steering box, so I took a chance on a new unit from Norms's Speed Shop in NC - this is one HEAVY sucker. Looks like a quality piece. I went to mount it on the K-frame but of course, it didn't want to go on easy. I had to break out the BFH and work a spot on the K-member mounting boss to clear the new PS housing but I got it on there and it looks good. I'll piece the rest of the suspension together tomorrow and take it in to the shop along with a mocked up rear end. Here's a few pics of the new PS box and the area I had to use the BFH on.

snook

20200418_171959.jpg 20200418_180607.jpg 20200418_181015.jpg 20200418_181034.jpg 20200418_181116.jpg

Ready for paint tomorrow I think. Well, goober still does not fail to disappoint but I have to take part of the blame for this one. I was starting to assemble the 8-3/4 rear end when I noticed the new axles were 2"+ too short. I thought Doctor Diff messed up and then I decided to double check dimensions - it was I who messed up. After all that has gone on with this car, I made the fatal mistake of assuming the rear end with the car was original. NOT. It turns out that the rear in the car is from a 71-74 B body (3" roughly too wide and of course my new Dr. Diff axles won't fit correctly. Luckily Darryl (blewbyyou2bad) came to the rescue and found a correct 66 8-3/4 housing for me, so I'm good. If you need or know of anyone who needs a 71-74 B Body housing, 489 punkin (non-suregrip 2.76:1 and axles) I posted it in the mechanical parts for sale section. Anyway, here's a few pics ready for paint.

snook

DSC_8253.JPG DSC_8254.JPG DSC_8255.JPG DSC_8256.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back