• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 factory radio - how to turn off?

subforry

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

How do you turn off the factory radio in a '66 Charger? The volume knob does not click when turned all the way CCW. The speaker makes a pop every time I turn the key on. I must be missing something simple or the radio always on by design.

Thanks.

Sounds like a problem in the radio. Does it work?

The volume switch has failed.

My mistake, I was not turning CCW hard enough. It turns off. The radio does not work, just pops once when turned on.

Has anyone installed a RetroSound unit?

20230119_101242.JPG

I installed a Retrosound radio in my 67 Coronet. I had to make modifications to the button brackets to make it fit in my dash. Unlike your original radio with knobs mounted on shafts, the Retrosound knobs attached to remote- wired devices like rep-stats. And very flimsy. The on- off is a push- push button which on mine takes a lot of finger pressure to turn on or off. While the modern features of the radio are cool, operation is complicated. If I were to do it again, I would have my original radio modified and modernized. There are many venders in Hemmings that advertise various services.
Just my personal experience.

The knobs attach to reo-stats.

2nd getting factory radio modernized. I have a Retro sound in my '67 and it is definitely flimsy and a pain to get rear supported.

Is the antenna hooked up? Or is the speaker blown? These old radios don't work without them.

Radio works. Needed to be used a bit. I expect the tuning contact are/were corroded.

I have installed a RetroSound. It's an ok unit. Actually fairly simple, operationally, compared to modern after market radios. They are very fussy to get installed cleanly. My concern was as Mackman said that the knobs would be in the wrong spot and the brackets would need modification.

I have a RetroSound in my 64 Fury. I like the radio and it was not hard to install. You need to take your time to get it set correctly , YES (lots of small screws and nuts) . Friend has an original radio in a 66 Dart that was converted and I will take the Retro before that radio.

Auto Transport Service
Back