• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Hand Me Down Charger

sate70

Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
Back in 1967 my father in law bought the 1966 charger. Drove it lovingly until the summer of 1977. It no longer would turn-over so he pulled the motor and tranny and pushed it in the trees behind the shed and put the combo next to the shed with plans to rebiuld it someday. Well life happens and oliver tractor pulling came first. Now he sold the home place and he was hauling out scrap and my wife couldnt see it scrapped so she bought it for $250. So begins my never ending honey-do list.
We started to see if the motor is savable after sitting outside for too long. Found rust and a damaged piston. charger restore 001.jpgcharger restore 002.jpgcharger restore 003.jpgcharger restore 005.jpgcharger restore 007.jpgcharger restore 010.jpgcharger restore 013.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Car is silver with dark maroon interior, Non air 2 barrel 361 with auto on floor.

More pics of the car please. Those early Chargers can look really mean if done right so lets hear your plan.

Don't let that wife get away, if mine bought me a project car you could knock me over with a feather. Keep us posted on the condition of the engine.

Looks like you gotta dive into the motor with that piston. Good luck..hope the rest is ok.

X2 on keep us posted!

Hey, I have one of those 4bbl to 2bbl adapter plates. :) Got any pictures of the whole car? How does it look underneath?

Wow! looks like you have got a lot of work to do. I am looking forward to see the progress. Good luck.

Well I guess the engine is a write off. Block is cracked real bad. Anyone have a cheap one near Minnesota? I have it on the trailer yet and will be taking it off this weekend and get new pics. We want to keep it as close to as new as possible. Keep it in the family forever. Wish I could get new quarters. Might have to get the crappy ones and use them as patches. They want $1600 for used rust free ones to my door. Going thru treatments now so cant afford them till I get back on my feet.images.jpg This is the ad that made him buy the charger.

Well that's a bummer, however you shouldn't have much trouble finding a replacement. May as well go bigger at the same time. :)

Several engines

I have several engines, bare blocks, cylinder heads etc., all reasonable I am in SE iowa. Let me know what you may need and when u r able.

Yep gonna need some more pictures when you get a chance.

Felt good enough today to take a few pics. Not the greatest but hope they give an idea what Im working on. Also found rust in trunk floor and drivers side of the torsion bar mount. If anyone has a mount let me know. I also need both doors for a charger.
Thanks all for the kind words too. Been a long process but they say I will survive it.66 charger before 001.jpg66 charger before 002.jpg66 charger before 003.jpg66 charger before 004.jpg66 charger before 005.jpg66 charger before 006.jpg66 charger before 007.jpg66 charger before 008.jpg

Good looking project. Every thing there to rebuild. Good luck on the health problem.

Dodge and Plymouth B Body doors will work too. I got a set off a '66 Satellite for a '67 Charger I had.

I never was fond of this body till my son decided he needed one for another father son project.
This body has really grown on me. It's way cool.
You've got a winner to work on, IMO.
Good luck finding parts, but it looks like a complete car.
Big plus.

ther first Gens, in the right color,right wheels, some nice meats out back, looks sweet.

Here are some positive thoughts coming your way to kick your health problems in the nuts!

As others have said, you car has a great color combo, and it is a complete car. It is the small parts that will kill you. My California Road Runner still had some rust, and I still ended up replacing quarters, trunk floor, extensions, door skins and the Dutchman panel behind the window. These old cars eat sheet metal, and yours, no doubt, will be no different. The fact that you have a complete car is a big benefit.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted!

Auto Transport Service
Back